Good day, forumites,
Today I decided to update from 12.1 to the latest drivers using the AMD Driver Downloader tool, which correctly identified my card and OS (Radeon HD 2600 PRO and Windows Vista SP2 32-bit, respectively). It downloaded 13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win_8_32_dd_ccc.exe, then unpacked it and installed everything.
However, during the installation the Windows(R) Installer malfunctioned and, not long after that, the AMD installer complained that the INF file was not found and aborted the installation of the drivers.
I tried everything I could think of:
- As a first step, uninstalled the antivirus software I was using (remains uninstalled).
- Downloaded the AMD 13.1 legacy installer again using a different browser (just in case the file got corrupted). Didn't work.
- Uninstalled every AMD driver that remained on my computer (the device manager identified my card as a "Standard VGA card") and, after rebooting, performed a fresh installation. Didn't work.
- Followed these instructions, installing .Net Framework 4.5, uninstalling every AMD driver, rebooting, removing any remaining AMD item using Driver Sweeper 3.5.0, rebooting and performing an even fresher installation. Didn't work.
So now I'm stuck in a 800x600 resolution unable to install any graphic driver. I cannot restore the OS to a previous point and if possible, I'd prefer to avoid reinstalling the OS and all programs, as reinstalling everything would take a time I currently don't have (but if I'm forced to, I won't complain).
Does anyone have any idea on what might be the cause of this and, if so, how to solve it? Thanks in advance guys.
- OS: Windows Vista SP2 32-bit
- CPU: Intel Core2 Quad @2.4 GHz
- GPU: AMD Radeon HD 2600 PRO PCIe
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- RAM: 3 GB
- About 200 GB of free hard drive.