Topic Title: 2600,3600,4200M, where i can find for kernel >3.4, and xorg >1.12 ???
Topic Summary: Drivers for GNU/Linux
Created On: 05/20/2013 11:48 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2013 11:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
svsd_val
Peon

Posts: 3
Joined: 05/20/2013

I'm, a ATi 9600, ATi 2600, ATi 3600, ATi 4200M, ATi 4500 Mobile, ATi 5670, ATi 6870, GNU/Linux user , and i need to GNU/Linux support for ATI 2600,3600,4200M, & 4500M, and i can't use old xorg and kernels, why i need do ???, throw it in the trash these cards and my Lenovo G555?

sorry but i can't do this ..

 

if you don't wish support old card on GNU/Linux, do world better , remove your secrets from,drivers and publish them in Opensource.

p.s.
otherwise, you do give a one choise for users of older video cards... not to buy your videocard because of poor support.


respectfully yours , user ATI/AMD



-------------------------

ATi 9600, ATi 2600, ATi 3600, ATi 4200Mobile, ATi 5670, ATi 6870, GNU/Linux user



Edited: 05/21/2013 at 12:20 AM by svsd_val
 05/23/2013 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Posts: 4905
Joined: 12/27/2008

Lazy to do some research, aren't we?



-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

 05/23/2013 03:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Posts: 7273
Joined: 11/13/2009

They may not have Google in his country.



-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit


 


 * A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

 05/24/2013 11:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
svsd_val
Peon

Posts: 3
Joined: 05/20/2013

Originally posted by: Eydee Lazy to do some research, aren't we?

 

Originally posted by: stumped They may not have Google in his country.

 

Eydee:

 What kind of research did you say???
I see that the drivers for ancient NV 8600GT video card quietly works without any problems on new kernel and X11, i can't say this about the ATI less 5XXX series.

Sorry, but I have no time for dancing with a tambourine.

stumped:  you are too smart ... to understand that I have spent time searching for information about resolving this problem in search engines ...

What about google, I spent ~ 3 days....
in Google, the best solution -> throw in the trash my videocard, Or to put the ancient kernel and x11.



-------------------------

ATi 9600, ATi 2600, ATi 3600, ATi 4200Mobile, ATi 5670, ATi 6870, GNU/Linux user



Edited: 05/24/2013 at 11:29 AM by svsd_val
 05/25/2013 09:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Posts: 4905
Joined: 12/27/2008

Let me help you then...

For HD 5k and above, you can use both open source or proprietary drivers. Both are good, and open source drivers are made using a lot of code relesed by AMD. That's where your research skills lack for example. Now even UVD specs are released by AMD and incorporated into the open source drivers.

The only issues I see with the kernel support is that Fedora is experimenting with some latest kernel versions which hate AMD hardware. It happened first a few months ago, then the kernel was fixed. Now it's happening again with 3.9.2 but I'm sure it'll get fixed again.

For HD 4k and older, just stick to the open source drivers. As far as I know they reached a state where they're good even for gaming. Don't expect anything from AMD, these cards were moved to legacy state so they can stop making drivers for them. If you don't like this attitude, next time wote with your wallet, but that's a completely unrelated topic now.

Suggestion: If you don't use these cards/computers for gaming on linux, use open source drivers for all of them.



-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

 05/26/2013 12:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
svsd_val
Peon

Posts: 3
Joined: 05/20/2013

Originally posted by: Eydee Let me help you then...
For HD 5k and above, you can use both open source or proprietary drivers. Both are good, and open source drivers are made using a lot of code relesed by AMD. That's where your research skills lack for example. Now even UVD specs are released by AMD and incorporated into the open source drivers.


For ATI 5k and above, driver has only recently become available for new versions X11 and Kernel, and i was waiting for this for a long time = (
currently it's works normaly.

Originally posted by: Eydee
The only issues I see with the kernel support is that Fedora is experimenting with some latest kernel versions which hate AMD hardware. It happened first a few months ago, then the kernel was fixed. Now it's happening again with 3.9.2 but I'm sure it'll get fixed again.


I is a user Debian SID, kernel 3.8.2, so far I see no reason to move to 3.9.2.

Originally posted by: Eydee
For HD 4k and older, just stick to the open source drivers. As far as I know they reached a state where they're good even for gaming. Don't expect anything from AMD, these cards were moved to legacy state so they can stop making drivers for them. If you don't like this attitude, next time wote with your wallet, but that's a completely unrelated topic now.


I'm not just a player, but I am game developer and a lack of extensions in the open-source drivers, makes it impossible to play some games, and does not provide opportunities to use the full potential of video cards.

Originally posted by: Eydee
Suggestion: If you don't use these cards/computers for gaming on linux, use open source drivers for all of them.


I agree, If do not play in resource-intensive game, open source drivers is more than enough.

p.s.

I like the ATI graphics and AMD processors, I take all computers and laptops with them, but this attitude to users is sad, because on the PC, I can replace the video card without any problems, then recently bought a laptop it's is difficult to do, because or simply do not have a videocard that you need, or need desoldering the APU.
An example on the Lenovo G555, I have to use the old kernel and x11, and i can not find a card for this laptop, and on the Asus 1015BX a year or two will have to unsolder APU??? or use old kernel and x11 ? ( Hopefully by the time the open-source drivers will be implemented better. )



-------------------------

ATi 9600, ATi 2600, ATi 3600, ATi 4200Mobile, ATi 5670, ATi 6870, GNU/Linux user

Statistics
86403 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.