Topic Title: 4800 and Windows 8 Metro Apps
Topic Summary: Video Playback
Created On: 05/29/2013 07:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/29/2013 07:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Hi all, I have confirmed through troubleshooting with Netflix that video playback for windows 8 Metro apps is malfunctioning with my Radeon 4800.  Any other video player reacts in exactly the same way, playback either gets "hung up" when loading or just fails to display.  I did find some other results when searching of people reporting the exct same issue but nothing yeilded any correct fixes.

Does anyone else know of/have this issue and know how to fix? DXdiag file attached.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164459361/DxDiag.txt

-------------------------

I feel somewhat like an inverse tangent function that's approaching an asymptote.

05/30/2013 08:45 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

We have seen reports of this coming through our Issue Reporting Form.  I know that we have been able to reproduce the issue in-house, as well.  I will not guarantee anything, but I would imagine (with time and patience) the issue will be resolved in a future WHQL or BETA driver release.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

05/30/2013 03:27 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Thank you Marc, I appreciate the response/feedback.

I forgot to mention that it used to work fine.  I have been using Windows 8 since Preview and upgraded to Pro at release (October'ish).  It was only around March (give or take a couple weeks) that stopped working.  Maybe there was a driver or other update close to that time that caused it to stop working?  If not, then perhaps even some other update for Windows around that time that maybe could have caused the underlying structure to disrupt it?

I feel somewhat like an inverse tangent function that's approaching an asymptote.

05/30/2013 04:20 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

It is certainly not unheard of for a new Catalyst Driver release to break something that was previously fixed, or was never broken to begin with.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

05/30/2013 04:37 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Well yeah, I was just curious if anyone could remember off hand if anything was released right about that time.

I could find out but not without a lengthy search and was just hoping it sparked something in someone's memory.  =P

06/03/2013 06:21 AM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Anyone anything?  Support has stopped responding (at least for the time being) as well, after I told them I had correct driver version and it was still malfunctioning.

06/03/2013 11:27 AM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Well, I got tired of waiting so I went through the lengthy process of completely un-installing and re-installing older versions.  I am happy to report that I have found a version that works.  Version 11.12.

Now, I don't if versions between 11.12 and 12.6 work as I stopped installing every single version in between and jumped to major revisions but hopefully that can help narrow down what is causing the problem(s).

[Edit]  Also, should I go into the software somewhere or even in Windows somewhere, where I can turn off auto updates?

06/05/2013 10:55 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

There should be no auto-update functionality within the Catalyst Control Center/VECC software, so no need to worry there.

As for Windows, I personally have Windows Auto-Updates turned off, and manually check for updates every now and again - manually selecting what I choose to install.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

06/05/2013 04:15 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Will do, thanks Marc appreciate the feedback.

I do hope they get this fixed though, as I would like to be running a newer/better driver but support did say that they were unusally busy right now.

06/17/2013 07:26 PM

Author Icon
JBrownup
Peon

I was wondering if 11.12 is still working for you.  Can you post a link to that driver?  I have the same problem with the drivers not being supported for win8 and I saw you posted that 11.12 works.  Thanks

06/17/2013 08:53 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Yes, it is still working just fine.  The best way to get it is to just do a Google search for AMD Radeon driver 11.12.  I don't know if you're 32 or 64 bit, so include that and your Windows version (most likely Windows 8 will not show up for previous drivers, so you might need to do Windows 7).

07/06/2013 08:36 PM

Author Icon
KageRyuu
Peon

So I am having a similar issue with my stuff.

The Metro style apps that stream

IHeartRadio, Pandora, Metro Radio, they arn't able to stream audio I haven't tried any other. So i'm hoping there might be some help here on what to do?

07/06/2013 10:28 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

My answer is just a few posts above.  Try an older version.  11.12 worked for me.

07/07/2013 12:43 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

My advice would be to not use a HD 4000 series card and below with Windows 6.2 (Windows 8). They are legacy cards whose highest performing card, the HD 4870, is no greater in power than the HD 7770 Ghz edition which is selling for as little as $80.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/08/2013 09:52 PM

Author Icon
KageRyuu
Peon

Ahh alright.

Well my graphic's card was working fine, until an update hit. It won't let me roll back the driver either so I might have to go with this then.

07/08/2013 10:08 PM

Author Icon
S1lent Echoes
Peon

Well, if you go the older driver route then you should do a complete uninstall first, not a rollback.  AMD has an uninstall utility but however you do it, just make sure you get it all and restart the computer before the new one.

07/08/2013 11:45 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

You can find previous drivers here.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

Statistics
88915 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.