Topic Title: 4850 turning main monitor off
Topic Summary: Main monitor goes off when temp is around 85C
Created On: 11/13/2013 06:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/13/2013 06:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Hello,

So I just got this card from a friend and this have been happening. At idle, temps are between 70~80C, and if they get to 80 the main monitor gets black for a couple of seconds. This keeps going on until the temp goes down again. Under load, the temps will rise until 86C and then the main screen goes black. Again, this keeps happening until temps lower.

If I use Afterburner to regulate the fan speed, I can make it oooz and keep the temp under 85C. But... shouldn't the card operate normally at those temps? I actually don't mind fiddling with it for playing games but having the monitor go off while working or browsing is a bit too much for me.

Rest of the system:

Dell optiplex 755, which comes with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz, 4Gb of RAM. I also got a brand new XFX 450W pro to run the 4830.

Any thoughts? What could be the problem here? Thanks.

11/13/2013 06:47 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Should work just fine at 85C. Out of my own curiosity , switch cables you are useing and see if it happens on the other monitor instead. 

-------------------------

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

11/13/2013 07:28 PM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Originally posted by: Vantharas Should work just fine at 85C. Out of my own curiosity , switch cables you are useing and see if it happens on the other monitor instead. 

Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow. But I really don't want to switch cables as I just spent £10 in a HDMI that was long enough for me to use the monitor as a TV when I want to.

I'm using one DVI to VGA converter and one DVI to HDMI converter. The main monitor is the HDMI, and it's the one that gets black.

Just as a curiosity, after I posted this it did go off one even at 57C but at max load. After that it has been fine since (~65 degrees under load, fan at 50%, only one black screen over 1h). 

The only thing I can think of is if the PSU is faulty and it's not enough juice when the 4850 is under lots stress. But it's brand new, a good brand, good power (37A on the 12V rail)... and I wouldn't know how else to test it in any case.

Edit: ah, just one detail. I have been using this HDMI cable forever with the previous GPU (a GT 520), never had any problems. So it'd be a problem only if the 4850 takes issue with it.

11/14/2013 09:10 AM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Originally posted by: Vantharas Should work just fine at 85C. Out of my own curiosity , switch cables you are useing and see if it happens on the other monitor instead. 

So I tested today for about 30 min. under full load. Just switching the cables did seem to solve it, why is that? I was using the same cables (1 VGA and 1 HDMI), yet neither monitor went blank. Temp stayed ~85C under load, with fan between 30 to 40%. So the auto fan (no Afterburner) seemed to be working fine/enough.

I'm really puzzled.

11/14/2013 09:20 AM

Author Icon
Bastinazus
Peon

Originally posted by: luizsilveira Hello,

So I just got this card from a friend and this have been happening. At idle, temps are between 70~80C, and if they get to 80 the main monitor gets black for a couple of seconds. This keeps going on until the temp goes down again. Under load, the temps will rise until 86C and then the main screen goes black. Again, this keeps happening until temps lower.

80-70ºC at idle is a hellish temperature, my friend. These temperatures are normal under full load, not at idle. The 4850 is a very old card, and its components are deteriorated, for sure.

I recommend you to acquire a newer card.

11/14/2013 09:39 AM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Originally posted by: Bastinazus
Originally posted by: luizsilveira Hello,

80-70ºC at idle is a hellish temperature, my friend. These temperatures are normal under full load, not at idle. The 4850 is a very old card, and its components are deteriorated, for sure.

I recommend you to acquire a newer card.

Unfortunately this *is* my newer card. I just updated it from the GT 520 that came with my rig. So far a big improvement, albeit I'm unsure if I really notice a difference between playing Rfactor with medium-high settings and 80fps (before) or playing it all settings maxed out and 120fps (now). Thus I'm a bit unsure if the £60 investment (card + PSU + adaptors) was worth it. Granted, I can now run Arma 3, but I don't have money to buy it anyway

I'll try to keep an eye on idle temps a bit more. It does seem to be getting hot fast, but the auto fan doesn't really kick in until the card is at ~70 or above. Would it be worth it to try some new application of thermal paste?

11/14/2013 09:47 AM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

I just double-checked now and it was indeed idling at precisely 80C, with the fan on 26. If I turn the fan up it only takes 2 seconds for it to get to 70, and a handful of seconds to get down to 60.

Now it's idling at 50 with a 40% fan.

So the fan is really effective, it's just that the card doesn't turn itself on to keep temps low. But it did work pretty well to keep temp below 85 under load - which seemed good to me, compared to what I have seen around the forums. No?

Thanks.

11/14/2013 05:12 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Originally posted by: luizsilveira I just double-checked now and it was indeed idling at precisely 80C, with the fan on 26. If I turn the fan up it only takes 2 seconds for it to get to 70, and a handful of seconds to get down to 60.

Now it's idling at 50 with a 40% fan.

So the fan is really effective, it's just that the card doesn't turn itself on to keep temps low. But it did work pretty well to keep temp below 85 under load - which seemed good to me, compared to what I have seen around the forums. No?

Thanks.

You need to remove that heatsink on the card, and reapply thermal paste it shouldn't be idling that high even with the fan on 20%.  Sounds like you've got mostly dried paste on the card.

. Im glad switching cables worked for you. 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

11/15/2013 08:26 AM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Originally posted by: VantharasYou need to remove that heatsink on the card, and reapply thermal paste it shouldn't be idling that high even with the fan on 20%.  Sounds like you've got mostly dried paste on the card.

. Im glad switching cables worked for you. 

Thanks. Yeah, it did. Yet no clue why. Yesterday I could test it more extensively and after 2 hours under full load, no blank screens. 

I ordered the paste today, hopefully I can apply it myself without too much fuss. I will probably do so on the CPU as well, since this computer has been with me for 2 years so at least during this time nothing has been done.

Lastly, I'll have a look at my fans as well. I think I have only one case fan, pulling air out from the front. So I might put a second one, 120mm on the back pushing air in through a mesh filter. But I'm a bit weary because noise is a bit important to me (I do home recordings) and those cheap fans have no speed control. I don't think my mobo has a slot for a second controlled fan.

11/15/2013 12:19 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: luizsilveira

Thanks. Yeah, it did. Yet no clue why. Yesterday I could test it more extensively and after 2 hours under full load, no blank screens. 

I ordered the paste today, hopefully I can apply it myself without too much fuss. I will probably do so on the CPU as well, since this computer has been with me for 2 years so at least during this time nothing has been done.

Lastly, I'll have a look at my fans as well. I think I have only one case fan, pulling air out from the front. So I might put a second one, 120mm on the back pushing air in through a mesh filter. But I'm a bit weary because noise is a bit important to me (I do home recordings) and those cheap fans have no speed control. I don't think my mobo has a slot for a second controlled fan.

If you're concerned about noise, do this:

1. Remove the only case fan you have.

2. Enable C&Q.

3. Set your CPU fan speed to dynamic, let the temps go as high as 60°C in the BIOS settings. Set a minimum speed of approx. 30%.

4. Leave the side panel removed. Much more effective than case fans.

Only do this if you have no small children at the house. Touching the insides of a computer while it's running can be dangerous.

It does wonders, however. My PC is almost completely silent while not running games.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/15/2013 01:27 PM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

Ah, thanks, I'll give it a go. Especially before the thermal paste arrives.

Doesn't it add up dust? Not that my environment is dusty, I check my computer every once in a while and never had much add up even with only a exhaust fan and no filters. But I never thought about just leaving the case open.

As for noise, currently the culprit is my HDD. That thing really whines when it's spinning. I have thought I should turn it off when recording sound and use the SSD only, but since I work with both audio and videos the files are usually too large for that. So it'd be too much hassle and I just leave it on. Maybe having the case open would let more of the HDD noise through? I'll check it out when I get back to that computer.

Thanks again.

11/16/2013 08:43 PM

Author Icon
luizsilveira
Peon

So today, after one or two hours under a lot of load, I started to have a bit of flickering on the second monitor (not the one blacking out before). A bit like old analogic TVs when they were not fully tuned into one channel.

So the second monitor is now plugged to where the first monitor was plugged before. The dirty signal that caused the flickering may be the same that was causing the other monitor (different model) to turn itself off for a second or two.

Board did not get too hot, it was around 75C, fan at 50%. 

I was considering getting a second case fan, and also applying thermal paste to the CPU as well as the GPU. But I checked CPU temps today and they are 30C on idle and 40C under full load. Which is pretty ok, isn't it? So I'll put the paste only on the GPU and will see how that goes before going for the extra fan.

I didn't quite try removing the case lid and use it open, as the temps never got extremely hot. But I'll try it at some point.

By the way: I don't think I'm using the latest drivers, as they didn't install. I got BSOD under "detecting hardware" when installing Catalyst. I was trying 13.9 legacy with the WorkaroundInstall=false and nothing got installed, ever. Eventually I tried the 13.1 legacy, also BSOD. Then I tried the 13.1 legacy with WorkaroundInstall=false and it got installed. So I thought better not to touch it any more.

Catalyst Version 13.1

Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0911

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11672

Catalyst Control Center Version 2013.0429.2313.39747

Thanks again.

Statistics
88746 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.