Topic Title: Issues with the "Auto Software Update" with ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Topic Summary: Software update causes lack of RAM?
Created On: 01/06/2014 03:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2014 03:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bill Poje
Peon

Hello:

I have a Dell optiplex running the 64bit Windows 7 operating system.  When I look under devices it states that my graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series.  I have some odd issues that tie together that ultimately come back to the apparent fact that running a software upgrade has reduced the video RAM.  So, I need to explain this and get help from somewhere.

I must state that I just spent 1\2 hour on hold trying to ask AMD tech support if they can help.  I find it absurd that I listened to the same 2 messages for 1\2 hour with no other options provided; not impressed with AMD.

On to the issues: My video card came installed on my PC new about 3-4 years ago.  I have never had issues with the card.

I recently installed and debugged and started playing pinball emulation games from the Pinball Nirvana website.  The games played no problems.

I noticed a Windows System message stating "Solve a problem with AMD - Display Adapter - ATI Radeon Graphics card."  Windows provided no help to this "undefined" problem.

To address this probelm i went to the AMD website and ran the "Automatically detect and install" program.  I have my 1/3/2014 Catalyst Install manager report in front of me and it states "Success" under "Final Status" and  "AMD Display Driver" and "HDMI Audio driver".  The final reports also stated that the following were detected and installed:

Radeon HD 4xxx Series PCIe

13-9-legacy_vista_win7_64_ccc_whql.exe

Now...after the install...I cannot run high graphic pinball games that I could run before the install.  The error message states what the forum has come back as meaning:

" the offscreen surface error is different. It means you dont have enough video ram, or you ran out because your card can't handle the graphics. Try a different table. One without hi rez pic in it. "

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98937#post98937

I also still receive the Windows error message.

==================================

So...what to do?  Do I "Uninstall" and then "reinstall" the graphic card and hope that somehow the card will be able to handle the graphics that it could handle before the software upgrade? 

How can I...just a basic user with IT knowledge but no knowledge of graphics card engineering...debug and resolve whatever is going on?

01/06/2014 03:57 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

System restore to before you updated the drivers, then leave it alone.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/06/2014 04:22 PM

Author Icon
Bill Poje
Peon

Black_Zion:

Thank you for the advice but I while I conceptually understand what you state I end up with a question as well as a lack of technical expertise.  I've never actually performed a "System restore" in my life.

To me.."System Restore" means restoring more than just the graphics card..it means restoring whatever the system decides to restore at the point of restore.  That means that I could inadvertently restore something that Windows has modified (or other file changes) that have occurred.  It seems to me that a "System Restore" could cause other issues unless I can specifically select the graphics card restore.  So...can't this potentially lead to even more trouble?

Assuming i can select a date in the past and select the graphics card to just restore the card software...how do I do this?  i don't have the "innate knowledge of the OS" that just tells me the steps to do this restore. 

So...I am still stuck for the next step.

Bill

01/06/2014 05:49 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

I'd share the same concerns, I usually disable system restore right after installing windows, because it cannot be trusted and just steals HDD space.

First try an uninstall then reinstalling 13.9 legacy. If it still doesn't work, uninstall again and install the old version you had before the update.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/06/2014 06:03 PM

Author Icon
Bill Poje
Peon

Ha Ha...I love the Peon moniker...on this topic...that describes me!

Eydee:

I understand what you are saying but...how do I know what "the old version" is.  Also...assume we determine the "old version"...where do i get the software to install?  I assume it isn't available on the AMD website but...quite honestly...I do not know.

01/07/2014 04:28 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

I assumed you don't just install drivers blindly, so you know exactly what you had before the update. If not, well, I cannot really help as I don't know what you used either. Try some random older versions.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/07/2014 08:02 AM

Author Icon
Bill Poje
Peon

Well...I have never had issues with any driver updates...and it appears that I made a poor assumption...I made an assumption in the COMPETENCY of AMD.

I assumed that the auto-install of AMD wouldn't harm my graphics card...and it did.

I made an assumption that the auto install feature of the AMD software package would create some form of back up as part of the standard subroutine.  Maybe it did and maybe it didn't but if there is no way to tell then it may as well have not created the requisite back up as part of the subroutine.

I made an assumption that AMD would have some form of competent Customer Support for a situation such as this.  Instead...I called the 877 # provided on the website to get tech support and I got 1\2 hour of the same 2 messages playing over and over which does me no good at all.  Was it just a bad day at support?  Should I waste another 1\2 hour of time trying?

At this point trying "random install and unistall" and testing each install would take a painfully long time.  I'm trying to get a solution...not waste time on trial and error.

I thank Eydee and Black_Zion for the assistance and suggestions but...basically...AMD has thoroughly infuriated me with their incompetence...which means that they have lost me as a customer.  I am not a malicious post-er of comments on tech boards or anything but I don't think it is unreasonable for me at this point to certainly recommend against purchasing AMD products because the 1 simple time I need support for a situation AMD created I can't seem to get it!

01/07/2014 08:21 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Why can't you just roll back to the drivers you had before you tried the update? This is done in the Device Manager under Graphics.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

01/07/2014 08:54 AM

Author Icon
Bill Poje
Peon

Hello Stumped:

Ha ha...The answer of why not is in my icon name created for me by the system board...I am A Peon!  I've never messed with the graphics cards in my life.  I am not a gamer...nor a graphics artist.  I am a spreadsheet\word person who occassionally likes to play a pinball game.

I call up Device Manager.  I click on "Display Adapters" and see the ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series device.  I do not see a "graphics" option. 

I click on the ATI Radeon device for the submenu. I reviewed the 4 submenus of "General" & "Driver" & "Details" & "Resources" but I see nothing about "rolling back" the software.

So...I understand what you state as an option but I do not see how to accomplish the task.

01/07/2014 09:12 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Rolling back in the device manager would be an even worse idea then system restore. Why? Because it wouldn't uninstall CCC and would leave the AMD services intact. So you'd have a strange mixture of different drivers and services. Something that is not likely to work.

Device manager driver rollback should only be used on drivers that originate from windows update or are manually installed.

Statistics
87553 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.