Topic Title: HD4850 Red Light Issue
Topic Summary: Need help identifying abnormal red light
Created On: 01/19/2014 06:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2014 06:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lovesstorms
Peon

This is my first post in these forums.  So, please be kind as I try to work through this.  I am honestly just wanting to know about an abnormal red led light.  The EXACT # on the graphics card side I can see is EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M/A.  I pointed an arrow to the EXACT light.  There is NO #'s surrounding the light.  So, it is not one of the red led on the diagnostic list.  Here's the link to a picture of one of the ONLY ones I could find online:    

Here's the other information that I took from the sticky to tell you about my system and the issue.   I tried to be as thorough as possible.  I appreciate any insight that you may have.  If you want me to try something, please tell me exactly what, where and how I would do so.  Thank you SO very much!

Graphics Card

- ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (device id 0x9442, which I believe is the 4850) 512mb - single card

- NO overclocking (wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole....too scary)

- Brother-in-law assured me when he built the computer in mid-Dec 2013, he cleaned the heat sink, applied new thermal paste, made the fan worked appropriately, etc before he put the board in the computer. Obviously, this isn't a new card.  

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

- Just got computer for Christmas (my BIL built it for me), so no new updates except latest

- Catalyst Vs = 13.9

- Driver Pkging Vs = 8.97.100.11-130429a-158498C-ATI

(hope this gives you what you need above....not sure what else there is to give, but let me know if there is)

Operating System

- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)

- Only used above system

Motherboard or System Make & Model

- System Mfg - Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd

- System model - P43-ES3G

- 90 or 95 mm fan on part of motherboard

Motherboard BIOS Version

- Award Modular (Award Software Int) BIOS v6.00PG

- Vs F14

Power Supply (BIL bought this brand new & there is a 1 year warranty on it)

- Seasonic SS-520GM - 520W

http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/NEW/Retail/GM2-520-620.pdf

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

- Monitor:  HP W2371d LED Backlit Monitor

- I have a blue VGA cable hooked from monitor to PCU.  The graphics card does not have a vga hook-up, so there is a dvi-I adapter.  As of right now, I can't get dvi to work and it is in VGA mode.  DVI did work at first (about a 1.5 weeks ago), but then recently (unsure when exactly), VGA kicked in.  I've tried MULTIPLE times changing the settings on the monitor to go to DVI including changing the setting to dvi (says to check cable) then auto flips back to vga, I had another VGA cord laying around, so I tried that, uninstalled/resintalled the monitor drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled the graphics card (multiple times). This is no biggie to me as I can't tell that much of a difference between vga/dvi (heck, I didn't even know it had defaulted back...lol).

Applications and Games

- Sims 3 (I don't play a lot of high graphic games) only patched to 1.63.5.024017 (not ready to patch to latest patch)

- Sims 2 had some graphics issues, too, but it never shut anything off

- I also play Nancy Drew (have them all), but it is not very taxing on the system and I've not had ANY issues.  

CPU Details

- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200  @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

- no overclocking

System Memory Type & Amount

- Unsure what exactly you need here, but here goes (courtesy of CPU-Z):

- Type: DDR2

- Size: 4 GB

- Channel #: Dual

- DC Mode: Symmetric

Additional Hardware

- Hard Drive - Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device Barracuda 500 GB 

- Driver VS - 6.1.7600.16385

- Size according to C: - 465 GB

- Currently available:  272 GB

Computer Case is an Apevia X-Cruiser (link below)

http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-CRUISER-AL/420

- # of case fans = 3 (80mm) (2 fans are org with Apevia case)(not to leave anything to chance, but yes, fans are dust free)

- All fans are always working.

- PSU that came with tower is NOT what I use (see above for that info)

ALL fans are ALWAYS working (including GPU & CPU fans)

Optical Drive

- TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L ATA Device

DirectX Vs - 11

Additional Details

- I run Malwarebytes, CC Cleaner, Superantispyware, and AVG (free vs) on my computer frequently (AVG on all the time)

- I've not run any other checks or swapped anything out.  I do not have any extra hardware or pieces laying around nor would I even know how to swap anything.

Issue Details

- Playing Sims 3 - right after the main part of the game loads, and I get to the main screen (to choose family/town I want to play), after 1-2 min, monitor loses signal, graphics card has red led light that turns on.  IT IS NOT one of the 4 lights that shows a # next to it (IE: 1601, 1602, etc).  It is a light that is surrounded by NO number.  It is in the column NEXT to the column that has D1601, U61, U51, U41, U31.  It is right above the black piece next the O1620 (1st# is either an "O" or a zero, not sure).

- So, to recap, main screen comes on, after a few minutes (or less), monitor loses signal, GPU fan stays on, red light comes on, computer is STILL ON.

- To fix it, I have to hold the computer power button until it shuts down, then restart.  I never have a problem getting back into windows again.

- This ONLY happens when I play the Sims 3 and ONLY when I'm in the main screen.  If I quickly choose the family or town I want to play, then I'm off and running with NO issues (doesn't shut down or crash).  Sometimes there is lag, but I have some custom content, all expansion packs, all stuff packs and much of the store content as well.  I usually blame some of the lag on that.  

- I've tested temps, fan speed, and FPS.  The temps are ALWAYS between 87.5 & 89 degree celsius, when the graphics card shuts off.  The FPS for Sims 3 in the loading screen are ALWAYS between 2,000 and 3,000 FPS (which is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS), but that is what it is.  In the main screen, it usually holds steady around 750.  I've tried different fan speeds from 50 to 100 and nothing seems to deter it from shutting off or keeping the temps down.

- Also, I did a simple test and took off the side panel, thinking the card was overheating.  This kept the card from shutting off for about 10-15 min, but the end result was STILL monitor lost signal, red light came on, etc.  (Weird)  I did flip back and forth (very quickly) to check temps and they were always around 80-85, so it took a little longer to get up to the 89 degree mark.  I did use SpeedFan and it took a report of final temp before "crash".  That's how I got results for temps.

- Also, downloaded Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (basic edition) and ran it with ultra quality, DX 11 and everything else disabled (if you are familiar with this program), but my results were fine and temps remained steady around 80 celsius.

- At time of all these tests, I did not use Catalyst software to change ANYTHING.  I just used speedfan to increase GPU fanspeed.  Temp still went up.

- 3D Catalyst Control info - anti-aliasing, vsync, triple buffering, anisotrophic filtering, catalyst A.I., Mipmap detail (Quality level) and adaptive anti-aliasing are ALL off.

Also, I followed the link/directions on this site because of the information about 32 bit & 64 bit because according to a program called "Crash Log Analyzer", the game was telling me I had insufficient memory...which I don't.    PLEASE NOTE:  This was done AFTER the monitor loss/red light, so in my opinion, it has nothing to do with the situation.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Insufficient_Memory_Crashes

My BIL isn't sure what is wrong, but he doesn't seem too interested in it right now.  He has talked about replacing this card with his GTX 295.  However, he's not actually looked at this card or the problem.  I have told him, but he has no clue.  

I don't want him to switch everything out only to find out the new card has a similar issue.  I am really unsure if there is something wrong with the card, but I feel like there is something unusual about the whole situation.  I guess it could be starting to fail or maybe it just can't handle the Sims 3 start-up.  I feel like it runs just fine, though, except that one spot.  

So very sorry about the length, but wanted you to have as much information as possible.  Thanks for any insight or help!

01/19/2014 07:35 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

There is no way in hell that that card should hit 89°C, so when it is generating 3000 FPS because you're not using Vsync, it is overheating. Buy you a compressed air duster from Walmart, a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and some Articlean from Newegg, carefully disassemble the heatsink, and give it a good cleaning and replace the dried up TIM with the AS5, being careful not to tear or remove the thermal pads or tape.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/19/2014 08:58 PM

Author Icon
lovesstorms
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion There is no way in hell that that card should hit 89°C, so when it is generating 3000 FPS because you're not using Vsync, it is overheating. Buy you a compressed air duster from Walmart, a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and some Articlean from Newegg, carefully disassemble the heatsink, and give it a good cleaning and replace the dried up TIM with the AS5, being careful not to tear or remove the thermal pads or tape.

I just turned on Vsync and triple buffering in CCC.  I fired up Sims 3 again and the FPS was not as high as it has been, but still high in my opinion.  The highest # I saw (per MSI Afterburner log) 2,054.  In the main screen, it was still around 735.  

My brother-in-law literally a month ago, took apart the heatsink, greased it, put it back together, cleaned the board and replaced all the thermal paste.  Is it necessary to do this every month?  Sorry...I'm a beginner at this.  Logically, that doesn't make sense, so that's why I'm asking.  

01/19/2014 11:30 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

No, but it sounds like he severely screwed up. I owned two HD 4850s, a MSI R4850-T2D512 and a SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI, both never got that hot.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/20/2014 12:26 AM

Author Icon
lovesstorms
Peon

Hmm...that's not good.    Is there a really good video or step-by-step (with pictures) of how to take the video card out and do what you said?  I am actually trying to learn all this and instead of bugging him (and possibly being taught incorrectly), I could try it by myself.   I am really good at following very detailed instructions, but I have no idea where to even start here.  

Just finished playing Sims 2 (all ep's/sp's) for a few hours and didn't have a SINGLE issue.  Sometimes I just wonder if Sims 3 is not the greatest game.  Is there another place I can try to push my video card's limit to see how it would handle it?  I'm partially wondering if Sims 3 is just a crappy game for any video card.  You know?  I've heard others complain a lot about that game and how it overheats their card.

01/20/2014 12:25 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

There's the "power virus" tests like Furmark.

01/20/2014 10:03 PM

Author Icon
lovesstorms
Peon

Well, thanks so much for making me brave.    I took a risk, found a video about how to take out a graphics card, and did it myself.  Now, I just blew it out a bit with my compressed air, but did NOT remove the heatsink.  I do not have any thermal paste on hand and didn't want to risk it.  I did move some plugs around on the PSU (just plugged some things in differently, nothing major) and then put the GPU back in.  

Just by doing that, my temps did NOT shoot up as fast and I was able to run (and complete) some of those Furmark tests.  Now the 15 min test did do me in (shut off the graphics card, turned the red led light on....same unknown one), but it makes me feel a little better that it doesn't happen so fast.    For now, I can live with it.  Maybe in the next month or so, I will get some thermal paste & try removing the heat sink on my own.  It seems simple, but it scares me still because it seems touchy when it comes to the thermal paste, etc.  Still, I'll try it anyway.    Thanks again!

PS: for those who may know what the red led light (in pic at top of post) means, I really would appreciate knowing....thanks!

Statistics
85329 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.