Topic Title: hd4890xfire and BF4
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2014 12:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2014 12:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MTXRooster
Peon

I have 2 HD4890's in my gaming rig which play BF4 just fine.  Since whatever new technology that magically covered every video card EXCEPT(ending at) my 4000 series cards, and EA/DICE's love to nag, EVERY time I start BF4 it cries about how my 13.9 drivers are outdated.

I have two questions regarding this;

1.  My Drivers were called legacy drivers - Yet when I search the AMD site, I don't see any reference to Legacy drivers anymore - Are legacy drivers no longer available because of this "new technology" that's in the newer catalyst drivers?  Yes, when you flow through the drop-box area, or do auto-detect it does show the 13.9 drivers, but I was hoping/thinking there would be something newer for legacy card owners?

2.  Could someone at AMD please inform EA/DICE that they should check cards, and NOT just driver version so people like me don't get the nag screen every time we try and join a server (IE start the game)? 

I'm not an engineer - But I don't quite understand why my 4xxx cards got dumped off the list where all other HDxxxx series cards remain.  I mean, I'd get if the latest drivers only supported the R-series or something, and all HD-xxxx cards were "legacy" now..  But my crossfired setup of 4890's outperforms several of the "newer" cards in the generation or two newer than it, yet I am crippled by drivers now.

02/15/2014 01:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: MTXRooster I'm not an engineer - But I don't quite understand why my 4xxx cards got dumped off the list where all other HDxxxx series cards remain.

You don't have to be an engineer, you only need some common sense. Yes, there are some thecnical reasons behind this, but they're mostly built up.

Think yourself in the place of AMD (or nvidia). Apart from the very few exceptions, games haven't evolved a bit for approx. 6-8 years. Because of the xbox 360 and ps4, system requirements haven't changed too much. People can run games with ancient hardware, just like you do with your 4890.

AMD (and nvidia) thought: What now? They have to earn money somehow.... So HD3D was invented, Eyefinity was invented. They started to offer features instead of much higher performance as higher performance was/is not needed.

Then Microsoft came to the rescue with Directx 11 and even though there are like 2 Directx 11 games in the whole world, it was a good excuse for both AMD and nvidia to stop supporting cards that don't support Directx 11.

To cut the long story short: Your cards became legacy and unsupported because AMD has to sell new cards somehow. Nvidia does the same. Consumer society...

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84187 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.