Topic Title: Legacy driver questions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2014 02:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2014 02:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xpEND_user
Peon

Hi there,

Apologies if posting in wrong forum section but wasn't sure where else to post...

Referring to this article I found via search...
<http>forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=461&threadid=133086&highlight_key=y&keyword1=windows%20logo%20testing</http>
I have the same "Windows logo testing" driver installation issue for my 9550 running on XP too.

I know XP is coming to an end soon but would really like to update if safe (still a month to go !)

So just wanted to check:

1) I have the correct legacy drivers downloaded from the site.

Now I see on my PC there is a folder named C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc (which was presumably created during the catalyst installation until I aborted it ?)

However slightly confused because in "Drivers and Download Centre" my display results showed: 

"Catalyst Software Suite" (10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.exe)
"WDM Integrated Driver" (10-2_legacy_xp32-64_wdm.exe)

So do I need to run one or both ?
I took a risk on the first one Catalyst (and then decided to abort when Windows popped up !)

2) Whether there is any risk installing them now ?

Am I to understand from black_zion's post there is NO risk installing these ?
Or that there IS due to it being a later/latest catalyst release ?

I need to save my all my PC files before possibly upgrading to Windows7/8 so the last thing I need is my PC going kaput.

Though should say, with no Radeon issues whatsoever to date, will certainly be loooking to buy a Radeon card again should I decide to puchase a new PC. (looking likely !)

Many thanks.

03/05/2014 09:18 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

There is no risk to installing drivers, but there is a risk in continuing to use Windows XP. But considering the age of your system, you need to upgrade the entire thing. A very capable APU based setup with far more power than you have now can very easily be had under $500, including Windows 7.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/05/2014 09:03 PM

Author Icon
xpEND_user
Peon

Hi thanks for the reply.

I will indeed be upgrading but have now successfully installed drivers and can certainly feel the improvement (if only for a limited time).

Thanks for your help and advice.

Statistics
84951 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.