Topic Title: All DirectX Drivers Going Flaky
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/31/2014 12:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2014 12:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
champton
Peon

Hey guys, I've been using the 13.2 drivers for my old Radeon HD2400, and have been playing games without problems, until yesterday.  Now, when I play any game (doesn't matter if it's DirectX or non-DirectX compatible), the computer will shut itself down completely.  I have two chassis fans blowing on my video card - my card came only with a stock heatsink installed, and it runs pretty hot if I don't have the fans blowing on it.  Like I said before, everything's been running smoothly until yesterday, as long as I had those fans blowing on the graphics card.  And sometimes, when it reboots, it will get past the startup screen, then the monitor will turn completely black, like it's not getting any signal at all.  Onboard video does the same, unless I physically remove the card, and turn it back on.  Then it will boot fine.  I tried cleaning out the ATI driver, and installing the Windows one, and all is well, which leads me to believe the ATI driver has gone flaky on me somehow.

Power supply is an Antec EarthWatts EA-750, and it's a 750-watt power supply, so it's getting PLENTY of power, plus I don't have very many additional peripherals installed - just my CDROM and hard drive.  I'm using the sound card built into my motherboard (an ECS 945GCT-M3 using a Realtek sound driver.)  My CPU is a bit underpowered (Intel Celeron-D E1200 @ 1.6GHz), but it hasn't been any kind of issue - even if I run newer games like Diablo 3.  I just have to cut the resolution down a bit, which is natural, as I'm running on old hardware.  It should also be noted that I have tried the slightly newer HD4700 from my other computer with the EXACT same result, so it's not a hardware issue.  The BIOS hasn't been updated at all - I usually don't bother with it because my system runs fine, and I'm kind of afraid to, since I seriously borked another motherboard by doing a BIOS flash a couple months back.  I've also tried reformatting, and trying both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows (both 7 and 8.)

I'm looking for other suggestions.

Edited: 03/31/2014 at 01:43 PM by champton
 03/31/2014 01:33 PM

Author Icon
champton
Peon

Here's a little update for you.... I completely trashed the whole partition, and created a new one, and now Windows is running fine on the default drivers.  I don't believe it's a hardware malfunction, else I wouldn't even be here typing to you right now.

HOWEVER, when I update the drivers via Windows Update, I get the same problem.  It seems the problem begins when any DirectX functions on the card are used, and it's not related in any way to the ATI drivers.  I get the same from my other card.  The good news is I'm able to get exact error messages now.  One of the following will happen:

1.  Windows will bluescreen with a STOP 0x9F (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE) or a STOP 0x21 (QUOTA_UNDERFLOW)

I did searches on both of these errors, and these seem to be rather generic messages.  One seems to indicate that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state (seemed to me to point to an ACPI-related issue, but I turned off ACPI-related functions in the BIOS, and have gotten the same thing), the other indicates that quota charges have been mishandled by returning more quota to a particular block than was previously charged (whatever the flying heck that means - wish Microsoft would print these KB's in English rather than Gibberish, which makes this all the more frustrating!)

2.  Windows will get past the login screen, then fail to initialize my display altogether when it comes time to load the desktop.  (The screen will turn completely black, and the blue light on my monitor will turn yellow to indicate that it's not receiving a signal.)

3.  The PC will shut itself off altogether without displaying an error - almost as if the video card has overheated, but every time I check both the CPU cooler (I'm using stock cooling because I don't overclock) and the back of the video card, and neither of them feel hot at all.... in fact, when the problem first started, I checked the temp sensors in my BIOS, and it reported a CPU temperature of 31 Celsius, and GPU Monitor always reported a GPU temperature of between 28 and 37 Celsius, depending on load, which according to my research, is outside any danger zones.  As I said in my first post, I was using the ATI driver version 13.2 at the time, since as I'm sure you're aware, the latest drivers won't support an old video card.

I've also updated the title of my thread accordingly.

Edited: 03/31/2014 at 01:49 PM by champton
 04/06/2014 07:31 PM

Author Icon
7stars
Peon

why 13.2 if the latest drivers for your card are the 13.9 in October 2013?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows+7+-+64

then also try to do the DirectX setup which usually you find on game folders you play....

Statistics
86517 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.