Topic Title: Where can I ask questions about my 4850 HD card?
Topic Summary: CCC features missing after Win 7 update
Created On: 04/12/2014 08:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/12/2014 08:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Scooter B
Peon

I won't go into details here as the topic heading specifies it is for "Radeon 5000 and above".  Unfortunately it appears I just missed the cut with my 4850 HD card for this particular forum.

I am having some dual monitor issues related to a completely different ccc menu that is lacking a large amount of options that were present in XP.

Thanks for any info you can provide to the appropriate place to find help.  Multiple search attempts have turned up no info here and no specifically related info with multiple google searches.

04/12/2014 09:08 PM

Author Icon
Fishman
Button Masher

This is the place. Ask away.

-------------------------

GA-MA-790FXT-UD5P/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black/2 x XFX HD5870 /RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1333/ Corsair TX750M/ Antec 900 case/ Windows 7x64 Ult.

04/19/2014 01:14 AM

Author Icon
Scooter B
Peon

Dual monitor issues with Catalyst Control Center after Win 7 upgrade using a clean install.

I have had an HIS Radeon 4850 HD GPU for three years that I have used with dual monitors  in "Clone Desktop" mode during that time. This set up was used for watching Netflix and other online video on a Sony HD TV as the secondary monitor with Windows XP flawlessly.  CCC on Windows XP was extremely useful and easy to work with. 

The Radeon 4850 HD came with a DVI output which goes to my primary monitor and the HD output which goes to my TV.

Last week I did a clean install of Windows 7 and downloaded the recommended most recent drivers from AMD site along with the included Catalyst Control Center version.

The new menu now is COMPLETELY different, is missing 60%-80% of the advanced settings and now includes "Vision" as part of the program title when opened.  It looks nothing at all like my previous version. 

Most importantly the "Clone Monitor" option is completely absent, which is the only dual monitor mode that worked previously for my application.

The only dual  monitor options in settings now are "Extend Desktop" and "Duplicate Desktop".  Both of these options display only the Desktop background on the secondary monitor... no Desktop icons, windows or shortcuts as I would expect "Duplicate Desktop" to produce.  Extend Desktop does allow the mouse pointer to cross over to the TV screen but that is it.

I unistalled the new and recommended CCC version, rebooted and re-installed the older version I had on XP (CCC 9.7 I think) but I got pretty much the same new useless user interface as the newest version.   Did the same from 8.x something to 12.x something but only got slightly different and still useless versions of this new user interface.

The older versions from 8.x something through 10.x something all have the same new user interface layout with even less settings option than the newest compatible but limited version 13.x something.  11-13 don't seem to look any different options wise in the user interface.

My primary monitor is too small to enjoy Netflix or any other streaming video content unless I want to sit at my computer desk for an entire movie.  Plus my daughter and I watch a lot of movies together.  I don't have a Netflix enabled Bluray player and the Netflix interface on my parents Bluray player makes Netflix navigation a MAJOR pain with just a Bluray/DVD type remote.

I would REALLY appreciate any help anyone can offer to fix this.   My card is only 3 years old and even then it was replaced under warranty in the first year.

System Specs:

HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7664x 

Motherboard:  ASUS A8M2N-LA (HP Name NodusM3-GL8E) with Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ 2.2 GHz

GPU:  HIS Radeon 4850 HD (ATI/AMD licensed) 

-              Dual HDMI and DVI  outputs

Dell HD monitor (primary)

Sony HD LCD flat screen (secondary monitor)

Thanks again in advance.  I am desperate to get this working again.

04/19/2014 09:30 PM

Author Icon
Scooter B
Peon

Well Never mind!

After multiple attempts over three to four days with no success,  I re-installed the most recent CCC version again and all of a sudden the "Duplicate Display" option works now.  This is the exact version I installed right after the clean install of Windows 7... go figure.

It did drop the screen resolution too low initially (half of the PC monitors resolution) but I bumped it back up with the Windows adjust screen resolution from right clicking on the desk top. Now everything works as it did.  

I still think the new CCC "Vision" user interface stinks and is 10 years behind the older version I had on XP in terms of utility and aesthetics but I'm just glad my dual monitor set up works again. 

Statistics
84311 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.