Topic Title: Intel CEO says Windows 8 bugs will sting consumers
Topic Summary: YEAY!!!! More bugs!!!! LOL
Created On: 09/27/2012 10:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/27/2012 10:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Intel CEO says Windows 8 bugs will sting consumers

Intel CEO tells employees Windows 8 will ship with bugs, but the OS can be fixed after it ships.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/27/2012 11:43 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

After it ships... yeah... that's called Windows 9. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

09/27/2012 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Yep....Sounds like they are releasing Vista/ME all over again.  Can't wait for 9 to come out...LOL

Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/27/2012 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Apparently Intel released a semi-almost denial later...

http://techreport.com/news/23643/intel-officially-addresses-half-baked-windows-8-claims

Come to think of it, there hasn't been that much positive press about Win8 at all really.  We'll have to wait and see I guess... but so far it looks to me like the "one OS to rule them all" idea isn't working out as well for Microsoft in PC-land as it did for Apple in Apple-land.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

09/27/2012 05:03 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The major issue with Windows 8 is that it depends on "Windows 8 GUI" (can't say Metro anymore thanks to a lawsuit), since full applications will be reduced to "apps", and IE moved to a plugin-less app, and so on. But I think equally as major is the fact that the majority of people are seeing Windows 8 as a successor to Windows 7 when it is more of a companion. Many months ago Microsoft came out and announced point blank that Windows 8 would NOT replace Windows 7 but coexist, that Windows 8 was targeted at tablets up to touch screen laptops, and Windows 7 would continue as the intended OS for non touch screen laptops and desktops.

Apple, being Apple, has a loyal fanbase, the kind of people who camp out for a week to spend a ton of money on a phone, and who will pay 3x the cost of a laptop because it is white, has an Apple logo, and runs Apple software. Microsoft has people who say Microsoft is evil because they bundle a media player and internet browser with the OS. I'm not saying Windows is perfect (although Windows 2000 came really close) and I'm not saying I like Windows 8 (when I hate it), but on a touch screen laptop or especially a tablet Windows 8 makes more sense, but right now there are a bunch of idiots putting a beta version of Windows 8 on their desktops and, surprise surprise, running into issues.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/27/2012 05:29 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Well yeah... beta = bugs... but Windows 8 isn't really a beta anymore.  Microsoft released it to manufacturers nearly two months ago, and I'm sure had any major scheduled development finished a while before that.  If it's not fixed by then, it's probably not going to get fixed until after the release in some service pack or something.

The "one OS to rule them all" idea works better for Apple probably because Apple has control over both hardware and software.  In PC-land there's a bazillion different combinations of hardware which makes trying to unify all of it under one operating system problematic.  Despite all that, most people just seem to hate Metro, which happens almost any time there's a big UI change.  Win8 will probably behave reasonably well... except for when it doesn't. 

Troll Hunter

Edited: 09/27/2012 at 05:35 PM by Mime
 09/27/2012 07:16 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Well in this history of Windows there was a big UI change with Windows 95 and there really hasn't been another major change until Windows 8, always had a desktop, taskbar, start menu, some version of a gadget bar starting with Windows 98 Desktop Enhancement Package (that IE4 thing) and system tray. Sure with Luna and Aero there were a few minor changes but it's basically been the same and had the OPTION to keep it the same (for instance, to display the status bar in folder views). But the Windows 8 UI is so touch oriented it's crazy to think it will catch on with desktop and the majority of laptop users.

Then again the majority of Windows 8 users who upgrade from 7 are idiots to begin with, Microsoft selling VistaTE for >$100. You know how car designers will change a couple of body panels for the new model year and call it a new model? Same thing MS is doing, which is BS

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/27/2012 07:26 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That was definitely the way it was going from Vista to Win7... Once the mess around Vista's launch was cleaned up there wasn't that much difference there.  Seems like there's more involved in going from 7 to 8.

and yeah... I'm not a UI designer, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be awkward to take a UI designed for tablets and phones and try to graft support for mouse + keyboard on to it.

Troll Hunter

09/27/2012 08:02 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The big thing about Vista was the OEMs like Dhell and Toshitba putting Vista on machines that were hardly powerful enough to run XP decently, so we actually have Vista to thank for the OEMs starting to PROPERLY equip their machines with plenty of RAM (more than 256mb or 512mb) and a decently fast CPU (more than 1.8ghz), as well as at least step-up-from-IGP graphics like the 6550.

As far as the UI goes, you know those games that are direct console ports with the menu system and controls which are obviously still optimized for a game controller instead of taking advantage of a mouse and keyboard? Seems like Microsoft used them to design Windows 8 UI. And as far as desktops go, the mouse and keyboard will still be around for a long time to come due to its efficiency and versatility. There's nothing wrong with a "One OS" theory, but there is a problem with a "One UI" theory, as desktops with 1920x1080 22"+ size monitors benefit more from the classic Windows style UI than touch screen tablets and phones with 5 or 8 inch screens...

Statistics
88837 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.