Topic Title: New Gaming Setup - Please Help
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/25/2013 04:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/25/2013 04:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
momobordz
Peon

Hi everyone!

This is the first time posting here. If im off the topic kindly move the thread. I am building a cheap gaming setup. I have pick up the parts and would like to ask for your kind feedback if it is good enough. Setup is intended for gaming only, no OC (maybe after i learned how to do it). Mobo is a ASRock 970 Extreme 4.

CPU: FX-6300
GPU: AMD RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5

03/25/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Would not recommend a 970 chipset, it's the budget end. Go with a 990 chipset for gaming.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/25/2013 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how much the chipset matters really... Most chipsets have similar features these days.  Seems like all of the current ones have USB3, 6Gb/s SATA, and a decent number of PCIe lanes, so segmenting different chipsets into different markets doesn't have much technical purpose to it.  The specific board being used will probably affect OCing and stability more than the chipset its self will.

That being said... if you are going to start overclocking you might want to replace that board anyway.   Overclocking isn't really my deal, but ASrock is sort of on the cheap side which usually doesn't help once you start tweaking things in order to squeeze out every last drop.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 06:25 PM by Mime
 03/25/2013 06:44 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Mime  Overclocking isn't really my deal, but ASrock is sort of on the cheap side which usually doesn't help once you start tweaking things in order to squeeze out every last drop.

I wish you had stopped by and asked prior to purchasing. there are worse brands, but ASRock ranks vvery low on my Radar, they jilted me in the past, and so far they haven't shown anything to get back in my good graces. MSI just hit that list with me as well.

That aside.... what question are you asking precisley? It sounds as if you already bought the parts, if not, steer away from ASRock.

03/25/2013 08:02 PM

Author Icon
momobordz
Peon

Ive choosen ASRock since I have read good reviews about it. I havent bought the parts yet. Is the CPU and GPU good? This is a cheap gaming setup as what I have indicated no OC. I would go for a Gigabyte board but it would mess up my budget.

03/25/2013 08:13 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: momobordz Ive choosen ASRock since I have read good reviews about it. I havent bought the parts yet. Is the CPU and GPU good? This is a cheap gaming setup as what I have indicated no OC. I would go for a Gigabyte board but it would mess up my budget.

I really wouldn't go ASRock. seriosuly, truly really, sincerely, etc.

03/25/2013 08:22 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That asrock board retails for about $100 USD.  At that price point it shouldn't be too hard to find a different board that will fit your needs, especially if you don't need a full ATX board with multiple PCIe x16 slots.... most people don't.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
80988 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.