Topic Title: Recommendations needed for Monitor Wall
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/13/2013 03:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/13/2013 03:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hellens
Peon

Not sure where to post this topic, but here goes:

We have installed a new IP based security camera system, and we have 4 42 inch displays mounted on the wall with about 16 cameras per monitor.  Currently, the displays are being managed by 2 seperate PCs splitting the duties, but I'd love to get to just 1 PC with a graphics card that can handle 4 displays. 

I'm wondering if this is even feasable though, as the video feeds seem to be a drain on the CPU itself and not the video card.  One system has a 2nd gen i7 and runs about 60% for 32 feeds and runs pretty well.  The other has a Xeon and is chugging at about 90% and isn't running nicely at all. 

I'm hoping I can find a graphics card that handles streaming pretty well (H264 Main Cod), where I can put that into the i7 system and have 4 monitors run by a single system reliably.

Anyone have any suggestions?

06/14/2013 11:55 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

There should be plenty of cards around that can handle the four displays.  I'm running three 1920x1080 displays from a GTX 670 with no trouble.

It sounds like your software isn't using the GPU for decoding, which is unfortunate.  If you can change that, then that might change your requirements on hardware.  Otherwise, it sounds like you'll need to step up to a dual socket workstation or server board.  Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to use your existing chips since both CPUs in a dual-CPU machine usually need to match exactly, but if you need more CPU power you can get it... if you pay for it. 

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

06/14/2013 12:15 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Another way is to get a Firepro card (like Firepro W7000 or V7000) that has four displayport outputs, if the screens have displayport input - all you need are the cables or if they only have DVI or HDMI, you can you two passive and two active adapters. Or an even cheaper solution is to buy a gaming card (ex. Sapphire HD7870) which has a one or two dvi outputs or hdmi instead in place of one of the dvi outputs and two displayport outputs.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
Statistics
85449 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.