Topic Title: Suggestion: Precision fan control settings
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/29/2013 02:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/29/2013 02:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
][nsulus
Peon

I have been installing and tweaking my video cards since the late '90's and I have seen fan settings come and go. With the industry being required to make the fans quieter at the quite possible expense of performance I was happy to see the custom controls come back into fashion, but it seems that all of these controller programs are very basic and fall short with how they can be controlled. All the controller programs I have seen have either a preset automatic function that is not changable by the user or one fixed permanent percentage controlled by the user.

My question is: Why do these user end controllers not includ a way to set fan speeds according to the temperature of the GPU or any method to change the triggers for automated settings?

Ideally, I would like to be able to assign fan speed, in increments of 5%, to degrees of temperature.

06/29/2013 10:58 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Have you seen MSI Afterburner? Though it would be nice if AMD would finally integrate a custom fan speed curve feature into VECC so we wouldn't have to use it.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/29/2013 09:56 PM

Author Icon
][nsulus
Peon

Just checked it out. That is exacty what I was talking about.

I live in an area where cooling just doesn't happen and the standard auto settings always just fall short making the card overheat and crash.

I have always thought that if you want to make a fan quieter you should take the noctua approach and redesign the noise making of the fan.

06/29/2013 10:45 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Fan noise is a result of A) size B) rotational speed and C) design. Graphics card fans are quite small, not really any way around it. Because they are small, in order to move enough air to cool the powerful chips they have to spin fast. Board partners on their custom models have coolers which have two or three fans vs one, which mean they are able to each spin slower to move enough air which results in quieter operation. Design is always a tradeoff between air movement and noise produced.

Thankfully board partners are able to use other means to reduce the strain on the fans with heatpipes and other means, but someday closed loop liquid coolers for graphics cards will be as cheap and effective as closed loop coolers are now for CPUs.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/30/2013 08:13 AM

Author Icon
][nsulus
Peon

yes the design one is the one to which I was refering. The ones I am thinking about have oil filled bearings and the larger fans have feathered blades and are capible of sinifigantly reducing noise levels even at much higher rpms than traditional fans.

heat pipes and liquid coolers can make things a little more effecient. In my honest opinion heat pipes have their pros and cons dependant on what you are trying to accomplish and closed loop liquid coolers are far too corosive, but I suppose a creative consumer could manage to make it work with a little mineral oil or motor oil.

Statistics
84892 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.