Topic Title: Love letters to AMD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2013 11:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2013 11:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ObscureAngelPT
Peon

Hi guys, so i'm new in this forum

And i'm not sure if there is a topic like this here, if it exist already, just say to me and give me the link.

So i created this topic in order to express what you really wish that AMD could implement, or things you want to express happiness or sadness.

For me i will start with 2 things.

Adptive vsync and Mantle.

Adptive Vsync cause we all have good machines when they are recent, we all have a massive amount of games that we may archive 60fps all the time.

But as long as the time goes, games became naturally more demanding, and sometimes lowering the settings is not enough to reach a stable framerate cause of bottlenecks to the CPU too.

So adptive vsync is a nice solution that nvidia have, that i wished to have on the drivers.

I'm aware that Radeon PRO does that, but that is bad for AMD reputation, and so i feel bad when the put 8 millions for BF4 when they could put a litter less for that amateur good work of the Radeon PRO team.

Second feature: Mantle

I love what mantle promises, and i loves the demos that i saw.

The promises of more batches running and less CPU usage its awesome since my Phenom II x4 starts clearly to bottleneck my HD 7850 in some games.

So that could give me some extra time to get more money and invest in something that could be good of AMD.

But the demo of BF4 doesn't seem to be released this year yet, and so we dont have a demo that we could compare between a non-mantle running version of a game to a mantle version and that is killing a lot of people.

Because many are expecting the AMD to fail again.

Third topic: The FX CPU's

FX Cpu's are failing, i have been benchmarking with cinebench and my studies are very bad and most people don't get it yet.

The FX-4300 is considerable worse than my Phenom II X4, because even the FX-4300 being a quad core, the module architecture removes a lot of performance and so like reported on cinebench the MP of the FX 4300 its like 3x (its like a 3 core performance) and my Phenom II X4 have almost MP 4x.

Same goes to any "Real quad-core" of the Intel, i5 have a very closely MP4x and the I7 have something like MP 5x thanks to the little boost of the HT.

Problem goes with the AMD with the performance per core, or single-thead performance, many could clame that is not important, but it is, see this.

FX-4300, FX-6300 and FX-8350 have a single threaded performance of 1.05-1.10

If we pick up a FX-4300 we can get its score with all cores getting used of multipling the 1.05 3x and we get the performance of all the cores performance.

Problem is for the Fx-6300 and FX-8350 that many games don't even support 6 cores and 8 cores, so we continue to have a performance very close to the phenom II, most of the time its not that close because of the better frequency and more amount and performance of the cache.

So if we ask each other where was the Single core performance on the I5-2500k released for a lot time, it was at 1.5 score.

I know that more games will come with support to 6 and 8 cores, but if AMD now improves a lot the single-core performance, the performance its going to raise in all CPU's a lot especially for the games that uses all the cores.

I'm sorry guys fot the big outflow, i know that amd don't have a lot of value comparing to the intel or to nvidia, but they are now earning a lot in the consoles, they should invest more in R&D and not all in marketing. :/ 

01/02/2014 11:18 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Nerfed

Decent mobile CPUs. I like AMD for desktop--awesome value. However, in a laptop, I don't think the battery life, extra heat, driver issues, etc are anywhere near worth the 50-100 price advantage over an Intel laptop. I generally won't touch or recommend AMD laptops.

Decent stock coolers. The ones provided with Athlon 64s were generally fine. The one provided with my A8-6500 is a tiny, loud, joke.

-------------------------

--Technic58--Joined 07/25/2004--Post Count + 13,953--

Desktop: AMD A8-6500 Richland, Asrock FM2A88X, 8GB Team DDR2133, WD 500GB Black, XFX HD7870 and Sapphire HD5870 (mining), EVGA NEX650G PSU, CoolerMaster HAF 912

Laptop: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG: i5 460M 2.53GHz, 8GB DDR3, 640GB Western Digital HDD, ATI Radeon HD5650M, Windows 

01/02/2014 03:32 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Aye, the one I got with my A6-5400K was little more than a 60mm fan and a hunk of aluminum that couldn't keep an ice cube cool in the arctic. The biggest problem about AMD laptops is that they are usually inferior spec'd. Lower resolution displays, usually only the lower end processors...Hopefully that will change with Temash.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/03/2014 09:31 PM

Author Icon
ObscureAngelPT
Peon

Well for what i have seen, drivers is a major problem.

Every week i have a friend with a AMD GPU laptop complaining about that can't install drivers.

AMD don't give WHQL drivers to users, but to manufacters.

Problem is, the manufacters don't give a ***** about it, they recieve it and don't release any update to users, if they want decent drivers buy a new one.

The only drivers i can install on my laptop's friends are always the beta or some special editions from guru3D.

About the performance on laptops with their cpu's.

Well battery life its very good, but that performance are very comparable with the ULV's from intel, and even the HD 4000 its getting forward the APU.

Its sad seeing that, and the advantages its because of the great advance on power consumption that intel have.

Even not being good for me since i am a desktop guy.

I guess AMD should definely invest more time to the laptops because most of the market its there, they could make good money and then cover the rest of the things.

Lets be realistics Desktops are falling, people usually tends to only buy laptops now, well for me i will have desktops as a main gaming plataform unless laptops GPU's come getting cheap and powerful, which is unlikely.

The only thing that continues to have desktop running are companies that don't require massive power, enthusiastic gamers, and maybe some image/video editors, and maybe another or 2 that likes the confort of a desktop over the mobility of a computrer.

01/03/2014 10:03 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Intel has a process node advantage (smaller dies = higher efficiency) which helps their power and thermal figures, but AMD is trying to catch up, helped by the fact that AMD is transitioning their APUs to SoCs which will bring total system power consumption down. But they aren't helped by the fact that Dell, HP, and Toshiba don't really consider equipping a laptop with an AMD processor along with other nice specs, such as a high resolution display.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/04/2014 04:06 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD's new Kaveri is a huge step forward for the laptop and portable market. Unfortunately they are losing their desktop customers because of no new AM3+ Steamroller core CPUs. It's a bad tradeoff that AMD will be dealing with for quite some time.

Desktop PCs are not going away any time soon. AMD wants people to buy Kaveri powered desktops and they feel that abandoning discrete CPUs for the AM3+ mobos will help sales but in fact it will hurt AMD sales significantly. We are ready like many folks to update to Steamroller in our AM3+ systems and no Steamroller AM3+ CPUs exist, so no sales for AMD.  Kaveri will help some with lower power consumption but it can't deliver what most discrete component desktop users desire.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84321 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.