Topic Title: Blurry text displaying
Topic Summary: Yes my monitors are set to the correct resolution.
Created On: 01/16/2014 07:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2014 07:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

Ever since I got this new computer (but kept my old monitors), everything's been blurry.

• I have a 2-monitor display.  They are both set to the proper / native resolution.
  • I am using an AMD Radeon R9 200 series.  
  • I am using Catalys version 13.11
  • I am using 2D driver version 8.01.01.1360
  • I am using Direct 3D version 9.14.10.01001
  • I am using OpenGL version 6.14.10.12614
No idea why it isn't crisp and clear.  Any help would be most appreciated.  If you need to know anything else about my system let me know.
This is hurting my eyes, and I'm already half blind as it is.

01/16/2014 08:23 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Have you tried using clear type?

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/step1.aspx

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/16/2014 08:32 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

...and you don't have Morphilogical filtering enabled in CCC ?

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/16/2014 08:33 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

You haven't supplied any information about your displays or how they are connected.

Given that, the only guess one can possibly have is that you're using HDMI with overscan.  You'd need to disable overscan on the display, and set overscan compensation to 0% in the drivers.

01/16/2014 09:34 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

One of them is HDMI, the other is VGA with an SVGA adapter.  

I don't know what other information you would want to know about my displays that would be relevant.

I have never heard of overscan, and I certainly wouldn't know where to begin trying to adjust this "in the drivers."  

I am guessing that this is something that happens fairly often, though? (Since it was the first thing that came to your mind?)

01/16/2014 09:36 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

I don't want to run another program, and I certainly don't want "clear type" which looks to just make windows-based stuff go boldface.  Especially since there are a host of programs that wouldn't recognize it. (Like flash or Unity3D stuff, which I work with.)

01/16/2014 09:38 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

Correct, Morphological Filtering is "Off."

EDIT:  But this shouldn't matter outside a game, should it?

01/18/2014 03:58 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Overscan is a sensible solution to the problem of different screen shapes, back in the dark ages of television.  The full video frame was larger than what anyone expected to be on screen. 

In the age of digital televisions and computer monitors, overscan is an appalling abomination.  Because many broadcasters still had unsightly junk near the edges of the overscan frame (and, indeed still have with some content on some channels), digital televisions (i.e. displays with a fixed grid of pixels, instead of a screen swept by an electron beam) were designed to only display part of the full video frame.

Penny pinching and laziness has led the display industry to start selling stripped-down televisions as computer monitors, complete with HDMI input.  True to form, these "monitors" will display only a portion of the overscanned video frame, unless you tell them not to.  If it's a television not bothering to impersonate a computer monitor, it might not even have the option of disabling overscan.

To allow their graphics cards to display a full desktop on televisions, companies like AMD and nVidia include overscan compensation in their drivers.  That entails shrinking the desktop down so that its outside of the overscan zone on the display.  This makes everything visible, but destroys the quality of text.

Since you did not specific exactly what make and model displays you are using, I can still only speculate that this is your problem.

The solution would be to first open Catalyst Control Center, in advanced mode, then look for My Digital Flat-Panels -> Scaling Options.  There you'd find the slider labelled Underscan/Overscan.  Set it all the way to the right at 0%.  Your display would then chop off your desktop, and you'd need to figure out how to set 1:1 pixel mapping on it, so that it displays the entire video frame.

01/18/2014 11:39 AM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

Thanny, 

This sounds very reasonable.  I have an iH282 monitor from i-inc.  

It indeed does appear to be an unusually large monitor, like unto a TV, with an HDMI cable.  (Also, thank you, I feel much more educated now!  

Your instructions were also clear.  I encountered a problem though: the slider is "greyed out," and I cannot interact with it.  Thankfully, the slider is already set all the way to the right, like you told me to do.  (The checkbox of "use scaling instead of customized settings" was unchecked, should I check it?)

However, the other monitor is not like that: it's an actual monitor.  It's a G215HV from acer.  It's fuzzy in the same way, and is under "VGA displays."  It is not set to scale the image. 

What do I do now?  I have no idea how to set 1:1 pixel mapping.  AndI appreciate your help!  Thank you!

01/19/2014 09:08 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

There's simply no way you're dealing with overscan on that Acer using VGA, so something else must be going on here.

What are the two resolutions you're using, and can you possibly take a close-up picture near the corner of the screens, with text in the frame?

01/20/2014 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

The i-inc has a resolution of 1920x1200, and the acer is at 1920x1080 (both of which are the "recommended" setting).

Sadly I don't have a good camera, but I can sure try to take a picture with what I have anyway.

Left monitor: Bottom left corner and the upper right corner.

Right monitor: Bottom left corner and upper right corner.

Again, thank you for helping me.  What should be tried next, then?

01/21/2014 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

None of the text in those pictures looks blurry.

It is anti-aliased, to be sure.  If you were to turn that off (by disabling ClearType), the text would look sharper but jagged.

01/21/2014 12:02 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

I would love to turn off antialiasing forever, across the proverbial board, but every time I searched for how to turn it off, it was "Turn it off game by game!"  Even though I want to turn it off when I am running every program, and just looking at my desktop.  How do I do that?  Please advise, and thank you!

01/21/2014 12:20 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

So I'm clear:

Under "Gaming > 3D Application Settings" I have Anti-Aliasing set to "Use application settings."  It was my understanding that this was supposed to mean "off" unless an application specifically said "Use AA."  But it does it all the time everywhere anyway, and it is very noticable in Windows and in my browsers.  

Morphological filtering is also set to "off."  

I just want crisp text.  How can I make this happen?  Thank you!

01/21/2014 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

For the OS, this page might help you out.

As for games, you might be confusing texture filtering for anti-aliasing.  Turn on anisotropic filtering wherever possible to get less blurry textures.

Beyond that, anti-aliasing improves image quality, at a performance cost, so don't assume you don't want it.

01/22/2014 12:55 PM

Author Icon
Calyad
Peon

The OS page seems to have worked!  Thank you so much.

In games it might improve quality, but I work a lot with reading text, so...this was a huge help. Thanks!  The text is crisp and doesn't constantly hurt my eyes.

Statistics
84125 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.