Topic Title: Finally bought an SSD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/25/2014 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/25/2014 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
msdos622wasfun
Nerfed

Hey everyone,

This may seem very banal to even mention, but my happiness with my recent purchase makes it hard not to.  I finally put an SSD in my rig, a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB.  For the longest time now I've been watching everybody else adopt this technology, and I just wasn't sure when I was going to pull the trigger.  So last week my coworker and I were discussing SSDs, and I started looking at prices.  I finally decided that enough time had gone by and they had dropped enough in price for me to buy one.  So on the way home I stopped by Best Buy and picked it up.

I don't think I was ever in true denial about the superiority of SSDs over platter hard drives, because I never made any flat claims that they weren't faster, it's just that I always rationalized it to an extent by thinking to myself how, sure, boot times can be aggravating with a conventional hard drive, but once you load the typical programs you use and close them and re-launch them over and over they're basically cached, and the speed issue is somewhat mitigated.  But now I truly see how much better it is to have an SSD in your system.  The performance gains are plainly obvious, not to mention how quiet it is.

I guess I could have driven further to Micro Center to look at their selection, but Best Buy was closer.  I found it interesting that they basically had three to choose from (locked behind a glass case), a bunch of the Samsungs that I ended up going with, a couple of Intels, and then a Toshiba.  But brand recognition and praise for the Samsung drive that I always read about online is what drove my final decision.

Physical installation wasn't that hard once I figured out how to mount the drive in the rear of my HAF XM case in that secret little spot, but since I was low on SATA cables I decided to take out my DVD burner and use the cables that were plugged into that.  I can't remember the last time I burned a disc in that drive, and if I do need to put in installation media, I still have the Blu-ray drive in my system.

I turned everything on, and at first I just got a blank screen, no POST beep, no nothing.  After some adjustments my system finally came up.

Software installation was a whole other ball of wax.  Long story short, I decided to do a clean install.  We all usually dread that, but in this case I think it just made sense to start with a blank slate.  So I have Windows on the SSD as well as my other main programs, Office and whatnot, but I do plan to keep my Steam and Origin library on drive D:, my 2.0 TB Western Digital.  That's okay by me (seems to be common practice).

I paid $140 for the drive.  What SSDs do you guys have, and what do you think are their pros/cons?  I find it's kind of a new world for me to research, because when I do read up on SSDs there seems to be new types of terminology thrown around that I haven't come across before.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

-------------------------

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition | ASUS M5A99FX PRO | Corsair HX850W | 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3 | LG Blu-ray drive (SATA) | Gigabyte R9 280X | Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Cooler Master HAF XM | Corsair K65 | Razer Imperator | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

03/25/2014 06:59 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Currently own 512GiB Vertex 4, 240GiB Vector, 240GiB Agility 3, 128 GiB Agility 4, 100GiB VertexLE, the latter two sitting in a drawer with the rest of my spare parts. Formerly I owned 2 64GiB G.SKILL SSD which were incredibly bad drives (good memory, really horrid J.Micron controllers) which were replaced by G.SKILL for Falcons. A lot of SSDs are pretty much the same, with OCZ, Samsung, and Intel differentiating themselves with custom in-house controllers. I think your only problem is you went to ripoff BestBuy instead of Newegg, though if you paid the $139.99 sale price then you weren't ripped. Keep your eyes out over the next few weeks for a good priced 512GB SSD, you'll be amazed at the increase in loading times with games.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/26/2014 03:03 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

I use a pair of 256GB Samsung 840 PRO's to boot from.

Prices are still far too high to consider using them for data storage, when you need as much of it as I do (using about 5.4TB out of 7TB right now).

I'd have to drop a RAID controller in just to have enough ports.  The performance of 7 or 8 striped SSD's would be pretty awesome, though.  All I need is the willingness to spend about $4K, which I can't rustle up right now.

03/26/2014 03:16 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I started with a single 40 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series... It was a rebadged Intel drive...  it was still very early in the SSD-verse (4+ years ago).  My buddy bought one at the same time.  AS SSD score was about 175 (IIRC)

Then I bought my buddies Kingston and put both in RAID0.   AS SSD score went to about 315

Then I bought two Mushkin Chronos 60GB (SandForce controller) and put those in RAID0.  AS SSD score went up to about 715

I now use those two as a scratch drive for encoding and have TWO Samsung 840 Pro 128GB in RAID0 for a boot drive.  AS SSD score in now around 1170

I will be using my boot drive for a few games.  I don't have a lot of games installed at any given time and 240GB is more than enough for my gaming uses.  I love SSD's

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/27/2014 09:30 AM

Author Icon
msdos622wasfun
Nerfed

Thanks for all the responses guys.  I can only imagine how great it must be to go one step further and put some SSDs in a RAID setup.  In fact when I sent an e-mail to a friend of mine after I bought mine, that's exactly what he told me.  I think for budget reasons I can't go any further at this point in time, so the one I bought that I'm using as a boot drive will have to suffice for now.

I'm also using drive D: for data, but I'm not being overly-conservative about putting stuff on my SSD.  I've got Windows on there, Office, a bunch of programs that I use regularly, and probably a few games that I need to install off of DVDs will go on there as well.  I've already put Unreal Tournament 3 on there, and it takes up about 10 GB with all the patches and user community mods and stuff.

It's almost strange how every time I think I have my system the way I want it, some opportunity presents itself to upgrade some part of it to make it better.  I thought I would still be waiting a while to buy an SSD, but it just goes to show that you never know.

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition | ASUS M5A99FX PRO | Corsair HX850W | 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3 | LG Blu-ray drive (SATA) | Gigabyte R9 280X | Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Cooler Master HAF XM | Corsair K65 | Razer Imperator | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Statistics
84242 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.