Topic Title: Playing in Secondlife..
Topic Summary: ATI bashing
Created On: 03/31/2014 07:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2014 07:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cloudy!!
Peon

Hello everyone..

I like to know is anyone here play in a game called Secondlife? I have been there now for 3 years and there seem to be a huge war over there that is being launch agasint ATI video cards. They bash any ATI / radeon video cards saying how they are uncompatiable and how they cant even playing a simple game like angry bird! I know this a flat out lie as I use ATI video cards and neer have any trouble as they claim, i have seen this bashing going on in other virtual words as well, and claiming Nvidai is the only video card that works best in these virtual worlds. My point i am getting to Why I am not seeing any defense or offense coming from teh Makers of AMD as its really flat out slandering of AMD. I also noticed their stock have really drop this year and the latter part of last year, so i am guessing all this bashing and bad mouthing AMD is effecting them in their pocket books...

Clouds...

04/02/2014 01:56 PM

Author Icon
msdos622wasfun
Nerfed

It's hard to say I guess.  I haven't played Second Life, but I guess there's just no shortage of irrational fanboyism out there, whether it's in tech (Nvidia/AMD, Apple/Microsoft/Google), or cars, or what have you.  I used to only buy Nvidia cards at one point but have switched to AMD for the past several years, and I'm pretty happy.

-------------------------

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition | ASUS M5A99FX PRO | Corsair HX850W | 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3 | LG Blu-ray drive (SATA) | Gigabyte R9 280X | Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Cooler Master HAF XM | Corsair K65 | Razer Imperator | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

04/03/2014 06:47 PM

Author Icon
cloudy!!
Peon

Well I agree with you on the "irrational fanboysim" but this is just getting  ridiculous, when it goes as far as posting and spreading flat out misleading information about one product to another and what is really bad about it all people are believing it.

04/09/2014 06:13 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

One reason so many are hitting AMD so hard is their lack of responds on driver issues.  I updated an older PC with a new graphics card HD6670, the old card that came with it was ok for general office work, but I wanted better graphics for second life.

The card will hang on both SL viewer and Firestorm, and most other viewers even at low settings.  I have done a clean install of driver, reseated the card and even switch from useing the HDMI hookup back to the old VGA.

This only happens on applications that use detailed graphics.  Sent in a request to AMD support still have not heard back so looks like I wasted about $70.00, good thing I did not go for the better and more expensive card.

Only one's AMD have to blame for this is themselves, by showing a lack of support on their product. Some other users on Second Life I talked to have the same story, updated to AMD card and now have issues with the driver.  As you know Second Life and games like WOW are graphics detailed which is why some people update their old cards to game.

Sorry but they need to fix whatever the issues is with this driver(s) and not just keep humming in the breeze because it only affects some users.  The users it hurts are the ones who will be doing the complaining and cause others to think twice about useing an AMD card.

04/09/2014 07:07 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

Before anyone blast me on not listing my computer specs.

Here they are:

HP computer

Intel duo core cpu E8400 at 3.00 GHz

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Op system service pack 1

16 GB memory

AMD HD6670 graphics card driver version 13.251.0.0

power supply 750W

This way who knows maybe somebody will have the solution, but from reading other post here on this card it seems the driver has issues.  I have also used the beta driver same results, but with the beta the computer locks up with each crash and I must reboot. On the 13.2 version it will hang and I can just cancel the application.

All other drivers are up to date (bios, etc)

Tryed one version below this same problem.

04/10/2014 02:31 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Fanboys go crazy.  That's why they're fanboys.  Crazy doesn't make sense.  That's why it's crazy.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

04/10/2014 07:27 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

True about fan boys, but I'm not one of them have used AMD graphics cards for sometime now.  Have two other Pc's with both Graphics card and Processor Chips that are AMD.

Some do blast as fan boys, but a number on Second Life have real issues with AMD drivers that show up when running Second Life the fan boys jumpped in after a few of us started blasting the poor respond on this driver issue in Second Life.

Just do a scan on the HD6670 card here and you will see a lot of people with issues on this driver are they all fan boys here on an AMD forum I doubt it.

So what's up Tech. support addressing this problem or not?  Just in case they are listening in......

04/10/2014 08:40 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Gray Wolf True about fan boys, but I'm not one of them have used AMD graphics cards for sometime now.  Have two other Pc's with both Graphics card and Processor Chips that are AMD.

Some do blast as fan boys, but a number on Second Life have real issues with AMD drivers that show up when running Second Life the fan boys jumpped in after a few of us started blasting the poor respond on this driver issue in Second Life.

Just do a scan on the HD6670 card here and you will see a lot of people with issues on this driver are they all fan boys here on an AMD forum I doubt it.

So what's up Tech. support addressing this problem or not?  Just in case they are listening in......

You are making the same mistake others have made. This is a peer-to-peer gaming forum. No engineers here. Nobody here can do anything about your problem..just in case. There are three ways to submit your issue to tech/customer support. I suggest you use one of them and recommend to the other complainers they do the same.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/10/2014 09:48 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Gray WolfJust do a scan on the HD6670 card here and you will see a lot of people with issues on this driver are they all fan boys here on an AMD forum I doubt it.

Yeah, I realize there may be real bugs out there, but the dude asked what the deal was with the fanboys, and why nobody seemed to be doing anything about them.  From what I've seen it's standard procedure from pretty much everyone in the industry to simply ignore the fanboys whenever possible.  Best not to spend too much time trying to figure them out either.  You'd have more luck trying to divine the future by watching a flock of birds or something.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

04/14/2014 12:21 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: Gray Wolf True about fan boys, but I'm not one of them have used AMD graphics cards for sometime now.  Have two other Pc's with both Graphics card and Processor Chips that are AMD.

You are making the same mistake others have made. This is a peer-to-peer gaming forum. No engineers here. Nobody here can do anything about your problem..just in case. There are three ways to submit your issue to tech/customer support. I suggest you use one of them and recommend to the other complainers they do the same.

Well actully no you are mistaken many tech. companys do check forums like this.  Not saying they offer any help, but they do check just a matter of business sense to see what users are saying, or doing.  It may surprise you to know that "Yes" there are engineers here after all they like to game as well, maybe all are not AMD employees, but safe bet to say some here are engineers.

Now as far as anyone here doing anything about my problem, again your a bit off.  The whole point of any forum like this is users helping each other with information, work arounds, and suggustions on things to maybe try.  In one post you will see I said " This way who knows maybe somebody will have the solution, but from reading other post here on this card it seems the driver has issues."  So people here do in some cases have the solution to problems even if they are not engineers one reason why we are asked to post our computer specs. when asking for help.

Now, as far as me and other complainers go, you may have missed the post here where I stated that I had submitted a support ticket to AMD, and am still waiting to hear back on it.  So yes I know how to report bugs on support.....

04/14/2014 12:38 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

Originally posted by: cloudy!! Well I agree with you on the "irrational fanboysim" but this is just getting  ridiculous, when it goes as far as posting and spreading flat out misleading information about one product to another and what is really bad about it all people are believing it.

Not everyone who is posting is a fan boy, some do have real issues with drivers, cards, so on.  So remember to ignore the fan boys and focus in on those who are posting facts on issues with AMD, or other products.  The fan boys normally show up after someone starts a thread with real bugs, or problems so when looking at that ignore them and focus on the ones who are useing whatever the thread is about.

04/14/2014 12:45 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime
Originally posted by: Gray WolfJust do a scan on the HD6670 card here and you will see a lot of people with issues on this driver are they all fan boys here on an AMD forum I doubt it.

Yeah, I realize there may be real bugs out there, but the dude asked what the deal was with the fanboys, and why nobody seemed to be doing anything about them.  From what I've seen it's standard procedure from pretty much everyone in the industry to simply ignore the fanboys whenever possible.  Best not to spend too much time trying to figure them out either.  You'd have more luck trying to divine the future by watching a flock of birds or something.

I agree with you I ignore the fan boys.  I was just pointing out that not all people in Second Life complaining about issues with AMD are fan boys.  Some do have issues with AMD, and hay some have issues with other cards as well.

One reason why I said a few of us started posting in Second Life about the issues we were having and the fan boys jumped in afterwards.  So not all blasting AMD are fan boys, and are posting facts not lies as he stated above.  Just to clearify for anyone else who may scan on "Second Life" and see this thread that there are some real bugs like you say with some drivers.

04/20/2014 12:35 AM

Author Icon
msdos622wasfun
Nerfed

As I see it there are always real issues with each iteration of drivers and cards with both Nvidia and AMD, and manufactured and exaggerated issues as well caused by bad information circulating around or user error, etc.

Seems like both Nvidia and AMD try to fix some issues each time they release a driver.  I always see things they have improved upon in the release notes.

But at the same time, if they are getting lazy in one area or another or are not doing enough to fix certain games, that needs to be addressed as well.

When I was with Nvidia, I remember I publicly posted in their user forum how pleased I was that they fixed an issue I was having with Unreal Tournament 3.  But at the same time, nothing was ever done with an issue I was having at the time with Need for Speed: Pro Street, which kept crashing for me.  50/50.

Again, no, we shouldn't give companies a free pass if certain users are having problems.

But I can only speak to my personal experience.  Now that I'm with AMD, I'm not having any more problems than when I was with Nivida; in fact, probably less.  Right now I have well over 100 games, and I can't think off the top of my head of any driver problems I'm having.  Here and there were a couple issues; Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12 comes to mind.  It got fixed with a new driver, however.

Now, I'm well aware of the supposed issues with CrossFire and stuff; I don't bother with that, so I don't really count that for or against AMD (or SLI in Nvidia's case).

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition | ASUS M5A99FX PRO | Corsair HX850W | 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3 | LG Blu-ray drive (SATA) | Gigabyte R9 280X | Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Cooler Master HAF XM | Corsair K65 | Razer Imperator | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

04/20/2014 01:24 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I was going to say something clever, but...

Fanboy - Often confused with a high ranking member of the government who, after being presented with a wealth of information to the contrary, will always insist he is correct.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/22/2014 05:29 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Nerfed

Have to chime in a little bit--this is a really dumb thread. I mean really. Fanboys bash companies they don't like for dumb reasons. I don't, for any reason, think AMD should give two *****s about this.

Secondly, Gray Wolf, there's an EDIT button. It's there so you don't have to post three times in a row.

--Technic58--Joined 07/25/2004--Post Count + 13,953--

Desktop: AMD A8-6500 Richland, Asrock FM2A88X, 8GB Team DDR2133, WD 500GB Black, XFX HD7870 and Sapphire HD5870 (mining), EVGA NEX650G PSU, CoolerMaster HAF 912

Laptop: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG: i5 460M 2.53GHz, 8GB DDR3, 640GB Western Digital HDD, ATI Radeon HD5650M, Windows 

Statistics
84097 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.