Topic Title: New possible system architecture
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/18/2014 08:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/18/2014 08:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mturei
Peon

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Stay whit me for a second.

AMD is using the HyperTransport  bus protocol for their CPUs. Why is there no solution to connect a graphic card or an GPU compute or an solid state storage directly to the HT.

There are HTX connectors and protocols already in place for quite some years now. The HTX3 protocol allows for 20.8 Gb/s transfer and that is more than PCIe 3 16x and at about 55% lower latency.

Using the HT bus would allow for tighter GPU, GPU compute and storage integration. The platform would be new so no stupid legacy thing should interfere. And a better platform for virtualization can be build especially in the area of GPU virtualization. Also the platform would be better suited for HPC. But believe it or not this would be a great platform for gamers as well.

HT is an open standard so any other interested party may join. And really I can't stress enough how nice it would be to start from almost zero and not have the legacy part dragging you down especially in the virtualization area.

I was thinking for quite a while at this and I don't know why I have not seen this solution or heard about. Any thoughts?

04/18/2014 10:57 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

PCI Express and HyperTransport operate differently.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/19/2014 06:11 AM

Author Icon
mturei
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion PCI Express and HyperTransport operate differently.

You are correct they do operate differently, but HT is already used in applications similar to what I described above. I'm just suggesting to use know technology from the enterprise sector into consumer market. 

For anyone interested here is a link showing the PCIe limitations the way Nvidia see them. Another argument for the above solution. here While the solution is not a copy of HT is a similar implementation.

Edited: 04/20/2014 at 02:34 PM by mturei
Statistics
87596 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.