Topic Title: System Memory Upgrade HELP!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/06/2014 07:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/06/2014 07:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
agt7575
Peon

Hello:

I currently have a home-built PC using the following main hadware (latest drivers are installed) w/ Windows 7 Ultimate:

MOBO:  Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Processor:  AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3 GHZ AM3+ 95W (FD6100WMGUSBX)

Video:  Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

Memory:  AMD Performance Edision 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 (AP34G1338U1K)

I am having a MAJOR problem...  I am trying to upgrade my system memory to 8GB.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit w/ a patch so that it can use more than 4 GB of ram.  No matter what memory I use, wether it be removing my current AMD memory for new 2x4GB modules or adding 2x4GB modules to the 4 GB or ram I have, NOTHING works...  No matter what configuration or manufacturer I use I can not get window sto load up..  Sometimes it doesn'tget past the POST screen, other trimes it starts to load Windows and then restarts.  Teh only way I can get the system to work again, is to remove the new memory and reinstall the old AMD moduules.  

I have bee building system for almost 20 years, and have never had this problem.  I am thinking that it could have something to do with the existing AMD memory.  When I first buiolt the system (3 years ago) I read that if you had an AMD processor, AMD memeory and an ATI video card that the system would set itself to be AMD optimised (or something along that line).

I have another system I built with the same Mobo but used GSkill memeory in it, and I was able to upgrade the memory with no problems.  Its only this syetm with the AMD ememory.

I have tried changing almost every Bios setting and still no luck.  It seems as if the system will not allow me to use any oither ram besdies the current AMD ram.

If anyone has had this same problem, or know how to fix this PLEASE help me..  I desperately need more than 4GB of memeory, and right now, I can't upgrade what I have.

I appreciate ANY help that you can give me.

Thank You.

06/06/2014 09:42 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

A lot of misinformation here.

1. 32-bit Windows can only address a maximum of ~4GB of RAM. You can install more into the motheboard, but it will either be unused, or re-mapped. If you can patch it, people won't be spending more to get the 64-bit version, and just buy the cheaper 32-bit.
  2. AMD CPU + ATi/AMD Video Card + AMD RAM =/= sysem runs better or more optimized. THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION. Just like Intel CPU + nVidia Graphics card =/= better optimization / runs better.

The exisiting 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz AMD memory kit runs with RAM timings of 8-8-8-24 1.5V

Check what are the frequency, timings and DRAM voltage for the new 8GB RAM kit, and change them to the proper settings in hte motherboard BIOS. The frequency, timings and voltage are usually written:

• On the packaging, or,
  • On a sticker on the RAM sticks

For an example, the 4GB (2GB X 2) kit that you have (the white sticker):

-------------------------

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

Edited: 06/06/2014 at 09:51 PM by -rascal-
 06/07/2014 01:20 PM

Author Icon
agt7575
Peon

Hello:

First, YES, windows 32 bit only supports 4GB or ram, HOWEVER, there IS a patch that can be downloaded and installed to allow Windows 7 #@ bit to recognize and use more than 4 GB of memeory.  My other PC has windows 7 32 bit home edition which is patched and I currently use 8 GB of ram which is recognized and used by the sytem.  Google "Windows 7 32 but memory patch" and you can find the file.  Also, a person does not buy the 64 bit version of windows JUST to run more than 4 gb or ram, the 64 bit has other advantages over the 32 bit especially when running ceratin software...

Also, as I stated in my first original post, I tried to install a brand new matched pair of memory (2x4GB) in my system IN PLACE of the AMD branded RAM I am running now, and the system will not work.  It doesn't matter the timing of the new ram matching the 4GB or memory I am running now as I am taking out the AMD brand and installing 2 new memory sticks at 4GB a piece.  The timing would only matter if I was going to run additional memeory ALONG with the 4 GB I have now.  The motherboard bios is set to AUTO with regards to the memory timing and voltage which means it sets the parameters itself based on the type of memeory.

Like I said, my main issue is not being able to run and other memory in my system other than the AMD brand.  Also, as stated originally, I have the EXACT same mobo in my other PC, but originally was using GSkill memory (DDR3 1333 2x2GB sticks) which I upgraded to DDR3 1333 2x4Gb sticks for total of 8GB with no problem. (again, the other PC is running Win7 32bit patched to be able to utilize the 8GB).

Hope this clears it up.

06/13/2014 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Is the memory you bought on the motherboard's compatibility list?

Are you seriously suggesting that SPD memory timing information is never wrong?

Did you check for a BIOS update?

You're leaving out a lot of information.

I will say that your optimization notion is absurd.

06/14/2014 12:01 PM

Author Icon
agt7575
Peon

Ok.  Let me try this again to avoid further confusion (sorry my original post was horrible, it was typed after not having slept for over 48 hours).  Here is the major components of my system (and yes, I am running the LATEST bios and drivers for all components):

MOBO:  Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Processor:  AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3 GHZ AM3+ 95W (FD6100WMGUSBX)

Video:  Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

Memory:  AMD Performance Edision 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 (AP34G1338U1K)

I am trying to change out the AMD memory for a different manufacturer, and I am looking to updgrade to 8GB (2x4GB).  I already tried G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-133 (PC3-10666) (F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH) with no luck.  The computer would boot up to the Windows Loading Screen and then reboot.  No matter how long I left it, it would just reboot over and over again.  even though I have the bios set to AUTO with regards to the memory settings, I made sure the correct setting were being applied after I installed the memory by booting up into teh bios and checking.  All the applied settings were correct.   

After the memory didn't work in my MAIN pc, I installed it in my other PC which uses the EXACT SAME mobo as my main PC, just with a slower processor and video card.  The GSkill worked flawlessly. (I replaced 4GB of G.Skill memory with 8GB of G.Skill memory in the other PC.)

This specific G.Skill was not lsited in the Mobo compatibility list. (the list given by Gigabyte was very short and only listed 3 different memory types for a 4GB stick. I called gigabyte and they stated that the list is incomplete and can use any memory modules that are simular to the ones listed as the list doesn't even include specific matched pairs like the G.Skill I was trying to use).

As far as the system optimization, I NEVER state dthat thios was the case, all I did was ask the question IF that was possible as I read on AMD's website back when I built this PC that thier products (AMD & ATI) were optimized to work the best when an AMD Processor, ATI video card and AMD memory was used in the same system build.

Like I said, my other PC uses the exact same mobo as the one I am trying to upgrade (yes,  both use the same bios).  The only real difference between the two was that  one has $GB of AMD memory, and the other had 4gb of G.Skill memory.  The one with the 4GB of G.Skill was able to be upgraded to 8GB of G.Skill (the same pair that my other PC wouldn't boot up with).  So, I am assuming that it could POSSIBLY have something to do with the AMD memory??  Like i said, its only a question...

I even took the 4GB of G.Skill from the other PC and tried to use that instead of the AMD modules in teh other PC, and still no luck.  It seems as though this specific PC will ONLY use the AMD memeory.  ( I even purchased 2 cheap OEM 4GB sticks (non-matched pairs this time) and still teh PC would not boot up correctly.  Sorry, but I do not know teh specifics of the OEM sticks as I returned them after they wouldn't work.  and yes, I checked to make sur eteh BIOS was using teh prper settings when I installed the cheapo OEM ones also.

I have tried everything and nothing seems to work.  I really need to get 8GB of memory in this system asap as teh 4GB is not enough any more.  I can see if my PC's eached use da different MOBO, but given that they both use teh Gigabyte mobo, teh G.Skill should work in both, yet it only works in one, and that one DID NOT have the AMD memory originaly installed.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I didn't want to leave anything out this time.

06/15/2014 08:12 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

The fact that the system begins booting the OS suggests it's a software issue, though it's hard to imagine what.  Have you tried safe mode?  What about booting from optical, with both the Windows install disc and some version of Linux (64-bit so you can see if all memory working correctly)?

Statistics
88927 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.