Topic Title: More issues with the scaling option in Catalyst 12.6
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2012 04:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2012 04:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
james.btex
n00b

I have a brand new HP desktop PC with the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series card installed that is running window7. It is connected to a Samsung SyncMaster SA350 monitor that has the most current drivers loaded.

With just the native drivers for this video card installed when I reboot the computer the desktop image fills the screen properly both during boot and after it is completely booted.

However after I downloaded and installed the most current drivers and Catalyst Control Center 12.6 this behavior changed.

Now when it is booting the desktop image does not fit the screen.  It is condenced and there are about 1 inch black boarders around it. Once the computer is fully booted then it enlarges to fit the screen.

If I play around with the scaling option it appears that what is happening is that catalyst is forcing the display scaling to the default value of 8% while it is booting, then once it is fully booted it actually sets the display to the correct setting of 0% which is when it fills the screen.

I have tried everything that I can possibly think of to fix this issue so that it stays full screen both during boot and after fully booted with no luck.

Based on this behavior and all the other issues I have read about the scaling options, I think there is much work to be done here to correct these behaviors. Once it is set to 0%, it should not be chaning to 8% during boot time then back to 0 once booted.

If I perform an express remove of the AMD software the system then functions normally at full screen both during boot and after fully booted.

Reinstall Catalyst and the issue comes back.

I hope AMD can solve this issue.

I was going to report this on AMD's web site but both their "Contact Us" and "AMD Issue Reporting Form" is broken giving "Connect to upstream server failed" messages.

-------------------------
 07/26/2012 07:57 PM

Author Icon
pedroabreu
n00b

I have the exact same problem.

Also hope they solve this, cause its something done on newer version so won't be a big trouble, right?

07/26/2012 08:02 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

Originally posted by: james.btex

However after I downloaded and installed the most current drivers and Catalyst Control Center 12.6 this behavior changed.

Obviously it would if HP have proprietary mainboard BIOS and VGA card VBIOSes on their components ..

This is why AMD say to download and use MANUFACTURER provided drivers as using their regular drivers may cause issues and prevent manufacturer specific things from being used etc .. You should be addressing this to HP and if they say the card is a regular AMD card and not a special HP AMD OEM card with a special HP proprietary VBIOS etc, then submit a bug report to AMD's driver team .. this isn't monitored by AMD it's a peer to peer based website.

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

07/27/2012 07:51 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

@ james btex

look here, i have exact same problem mate >> 

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=428&threadid=160339&enterthread=y

Only difference is mines  wont automatically go to full screen size when the computer fully boots, only way I can get my scaling to full screen size if to start catalyst, set the scaling to a different size, click apply and then slide it down to 0% then click apply and that way the screen goes full size, but thats every time I reboot the pc and beleive me I reboot a lot, p.s, I have a 42inch LED screen too, I hate these problems

ATI 6990
 07/27/2012 08:05 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

meant to add, I contacted another dept and this was the dreadfull reply >>

"

AMD Developer Forums

Re: Bug in 12.6 & beta 12.7

in General Discussions

I'm sorry about the frustrating experience with 12.6 and 12.7 beta.

You can file Catalyst bug reports here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4 The Catalyst team has asked that I send all forum posters with Catalyst questions to this link.

Also, you might try searching the Catalyst forum here to see if a solution might be posted there: http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=428&entercat=y

Cheers!

ATI 6990
 07/27/2012 09:46 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Ok Guys, good news, I found a fix after researching for a while and this is it and it works as I have tested it

"fix for the overscan issue

Go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000

Create a new DWORD:

"DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000

Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings."

Simples as that , I have to add, this isnt my work and I didnt want to post the source but if required admin say its ok then fair enough, but I didnt want to incase I got into trouble, lol.

Also, MAJOR point, do not attempt this if you are not comfortable with the system registry, ok ? thanks.

Please let me know how ya all get on

ATI 6990
 07/28/2012 11:37 AM

Author Icon
waltc
Peon

Originally posted by: GLASGOW Ok Guys, good news, I found a fix after researching for a while and this is it and it works as I have tested it

"fix for the overscan issue Go to the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000 Create a new DWORD: "DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000 Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings."

Simples as that , I have to add, this isnt my work and I didnt want to post the source but if required admin say its ok then fair enough, but I didnt want to incase I got into trouble, lol.

Also, MAJOR point, do not attempt this if you are not comfortable with the system registry, ok ? thanks.

Please let me know how ya all get on

I noticed this issue with the 12.6 betas, but it seems to have vanished with the 12.6 WHQL's.  Judging by the date of these posts, I'm betting that some people don't know that the 12.6's have been updated from beta to WHQL, and that the WHQL is a newer set than the older 12.6 betas that caused the problem (if so, they need to download and install the 12.6 WHQL's--the 12.6 betas, of course, are no longer available.)  It seems to be related only to people using their gpus with HDMI cables--as your registry fix (which I added anyway) would suggest.  The 12.6 WHQL's don't give me this problem, and don't contain this registry fix, but still I added it anyway.  Good find!

MSI 970a-G46
Win8.1 x64, UEFI install, version 2.6
FX-6300 @4.5GHz, stable, Turbo disabled, C&Q Enabled
8-gigs 1600MHz DDR3,2x4, 225fsb, 1800MHz effective, 1.5v
Boot: Seagate 320GB; WD 1TB Blue;2x500GB Barricudas=1TB RAID 0
Radeon HD 7850 2Gig
Lian-Li PC-V1200 case
Corsair 600W PSU, 1x 49a 12v rail

07/28/2012 12:40 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

no probs mate, as long as its working now either way, the reg fix was the only thing that worked for me and I will leave the driver like that now for at least a month or two, lol.

ATI 6990
 08/01/2012 02:47 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

We are aware of the scaling issue and it will be fixed in the next Catalyst driver release.

Regards,

Marc@AMD

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

08/01/2012 03:11 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD We are aware of the scaling issue and it will be fixed in the next Catalyst driver release.

Regards,

Marc@AMD

Probably by just adding in that regedit I posted up, lol.

anyway, so what stable version (not beta) will this be ready for, can you please tell us so that we dont go chasing ghosts again ?

Cheers mate.

ATI 6990
Statistics
84731 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.