Topic Title: 12.4-12.6 terrible problems !!!!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2012 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2012 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Ive had an amd 6990 since they first came out, i know fine well home to properly remove the drivers cleanly and all that stuff.

Anyway, past few months I didnt upgrade the driver cause i couldnt be bothered, but now I have its a headache.

I have a 42inch Led screen and up until now the drivers have worked fine with the card and the tv.

BUT, now, every time i boot up I have to manually set the screen to full size picture, I.E - underscan then apply and then 0% and apply and then i get the full size picture.

Its a real pain in the neck and first i have came across this problem.

I would very very very much much appreciate a fix for this problem is anyone knows please ?

thanks.

p.s

I would presume that somehow windows 7 x64 isnt saving the option or the program isnt, one or the other, it worked perfect before now

-------------------------
ATI 6990
 07/26/2012 08:20 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

BUMP :

Maybe I meant 12.5 & 12.7, I cant remember now, all i know is the version I have right now as stated in device manager is 8.981.2.0 and it has the problems I described above.

I would rather go back to an old driver (that works proper) than this, but I dont even know what the last old driver was I used, and thats not the answer anyways

This is driving me off my head man,, has anyone got any suggestions please ?

Used to just change it down to overscan 0% and then click apply and that would be it, but these new drivers are not doing that now unless theres another setting I am not noticing, I dont know ?

ATI 6990
 07/26/2012 08:23 PM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

If it was working fine,why did you update it?Just because there are newer drivers doesnt mean you HAVE to update.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

07/26/2012 08:31 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Originally posted by: Earnhardt If it was working fine,why did you update it?Just because there are newer drivers doesnt mean you HAVE to update.

I know that mate, but you should know as well as me that every now and again it very good to update drivers for things like graphics cards etc as they can have some good updates in the drivers, so thats the answer to your question mate

ATI 6990
 07/26/2012 09:11 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You know, mate, that AMD publishes a document called "release notes" with every WHQL'd release, and that there are several websites which review performance across driver releases. So no, unless you have a problem which is stated as fixed in the release notes, or others with the same problem state that it is fixed, then no, you DON'T have to update the drivers. I used 10.10e throughout all of 2011 because 11.1-11.12 for me caused Windows Live Movie Maker to crash. Did I lose a few percentage points of performance? Possibly, but I didn't notice any change when I went to 12.1 then to 12.6

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/27/2012 10:09 AM

Author Icon
stinman
Peon

can't say for sure but in my case the problem was with 12.4. From 12.3 to 12.4 gave me all sorts of issues with my Sapphire HD6950, their new one, it's o.c. to 820 mhz.So it's not an older one. I know you said you uninstalled, but did you uninstall the support folder that had the 12.4 drivers in it because it don't get uninstalled. When you boot up if your pc goes auto back to 1920 1080 then windows is using your last driver. I suggest you install 12.3 then to 12.6. Then again was you having any issues with 12.4 at all, it screwed up my dual monitors, I had same issues as you with the ratio thing even when I clicked save and use this instead of windows, you know what I'm talking about? Just trying to help Good Luck!

Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H,Phenom II 955 BE C3 AM3 3.8
ZalmanLED9900A Cooler,Corsair xm3 DDR3 1600 8GB's ram
BFG 650 watts PW,,Antec 900II case
GGC-H20L BR multi drive,Sapphire 2GB HD6950oc
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

07/27/2012 07:41 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

I am going to try uninstalling the driver again the way I always do, from control panel first and then safe mode using driver sweeper and then boot back to windows and check ALL AMD/ATI folders are gone and then go ahead and install the new stable version again (not beta) because it really should work, there should be none of this nonsense.

Disappointed man , and if that dont work I will have to resort to a golden oldie driver and just hope it works properly like It did until yesterday

ATI 6990
 07/27/2012 08:08 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

meant to add this, I contacted another dept to try and get help and this was the reply >>

"

AMD Developer Forums

Re: Bug in 12.6 & beta 12.7

in General Discussions

I'm sorry about the frustrating experience with 12.6 and 12.7 beta.

You can file Catalyst bug reports here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4 The Catalyst team has asked that I send all forum posters with Catalyst questions to this link.

Also, you might try searching the Catalyst forum here to see if a solution might be posted there: http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=428&entercat=y

Cheers!"

Waste of time in replying in my own opinion

ATI 6990
 07/27/2012 09:44 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Ok Guys, good news, I found a fix after researching for a while and this is it and it works as I have tested it

"fix for the overscan issue

Go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000

Create a new DWORD:

"DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000

Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings."

Simples as that , I have to add, this isnt my work and I didnt want to post the source but if required admin say its ok then fair enough, but I didnt want to incase I got into trouble, lol.

Also, MAJOR point, do not attempt this if you are not comfortable with the system registry, ok ? thanks.

Please let me know how ya all get on

ATI 6990
 07/27/2012 10:13 PM

Author Icon
GLASGOW

Originally posted by: black_zion You know, mate, that AMD publishes a document called "release notes" with every WHQL'd release, and that there are several websites which review performance across driver releases. So no, unless you have a problem which is stated as fixed in the release notes, or others with the same problem state that it is fixed, then no, you DON'T have to update the drivers. I used 10.10e throughout all of 2011 because 11.1-11.12 for me caused Windows Live Movie Maker to crash. Did I lose a few percentage points of performance? Possibly, but I didn't notice any change when I went to 12.1 then to 12.6

Sorry, I mean no disrespect pal, but whats the first thing a game company just as an example would ask you if you had a problem running a game even if it wasnt the driver causing the problem, I can tell you, first thing they say is "Do You Have The Latest Graphics Driver Installed (WHQL)".

Then after you say yes to that (if you have) the first thing they do is go looking for other older version drivers for other things like sound etc.

So yes I understand the part about not really needing to update your drivers unless having problems etc, thats easily understandable, but if your the type of person that keeps adding new bits n pieces and new software etc, then its normally the best thing to do is make sure you have the latest drivers installed for the relevant bits of hardware that piece of software relys on (or the new hardware relys on).

Would you at least agree with that mate ?

As I say, I dont want to turn this into another topic different from the original 1st post of thread, but just thought I should answer you, that is all, cheers

ATI 6990

Edited: 07/27/2012 at 10:22 PM by GLASGOW
 08/01/2012 11:47 AM

Author Icon
shazbot2000
n00b

Originally posted by: Earnhardt If it was working fine,why did you update it?Just because there are newer drivers doesnt mean you HAVE to update.

Why did you comment with a usless troll comment? Just because you can hit reply and troll doesn't mean you have to!

08/01/2012 11:54 AM

Author Icon
shazbot2000
n00b

Originally posted by: stinman can't say for sure but in my case the problem was with 12.4. From 12.3 to 12.4 gave me all sorts of issues .......

12.4 introduced quite a few bugs. I suffer constantly with "the amd driver stopped working and recovered" issue that ended up (when away from the PC) causing it to not resume from monitor sleep (not OS hibernate).  Having to hard reset the PC to get screen to come back on. 12.6beta had same issue even tho it was meant to fix it.

Rolled back to 12.3 - hey presto - issues gone.

Now disabled updates because I don't appreciate hard rebooting my PC (and resyncing 12TB raid each bloody time) can't trust amd to fix their borked code any time soon and had ZERO response from issue raised with them.

08/01/2012 02:42 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

We are aware of the scaling issue and it will be fixed in the next Catalyst driver release.

Regards,

Marc@AMD

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
84187 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.