Topic Title: New build put together with V4900, worked fine on bench. Placed at desk, screens black.
Topic Summary: Different monitors are black after boot graphics go by. BIOS set to disable integrated GPU
Created On: 08/10/2012 05:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/10/2012 05:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jonathan7007
n00b

Here is the template requested. Please note that this was displaying just fine on the bench LCD as I set up the new machine (Ivy Bridge, no overclock.). Then attached to my desk's dual monitors and - NOTHING after boot graphics. Safe mode works OK, so it's the V4900 GPU, somehow. Tried several combinations of BIOS settings about graphics.

Really need to get this machine into production. I use this to process images for my photography business and I have a shoot tomorrow! Thanks, in advance, for help.

Template Info:

Graphics Card

FirePro V4900 (new)

No overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

2012-0524.40.42449

Operating System

Win7 64-bit SP1

Issue Details

Black screen after boot.

I put together a new machine which included this V4900 board; I attached a DVI-equipped older LCD monitor 1280x1024 and the drivers adapted right away to this older monitor. I spent a couple of days on and off working on the unit with the LCD working just fine. When the work was done I closed the case, shifted the box to the floor gently and attached all the outside connectors/wires.

I read the Troubleshooting document.

Applications and Games

No Windows screen shows after boot graphic. All black screen, Cursor blinks in the upper left corner, then Black

CPU Details

Intel Ivy Bridge 3770 no overclocking allowed on this iuniyt.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

Two monitors:

Gateway 24" 1920x1200 -- DVI connector. This shows Intel's boot graphics but goes black

ASUS PA246 10-bit model 24" -- Displayport

These monitors were in use up to a week ago with my other system.

With these black screens I have tried switching the display port plug to the other slot.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

- Intel motherboard DH77K56  this was working as expected a moment ago.

08/10/2012 02:55 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I would suggest to (for now) just pick one monitor, and work with it connected only.  It sounds like what you will get is just a display working up until Windows begins to load, but Safe-Mode works fine.

In Safe-Mode, uninstall the Display Device from Device Manager, and reboot.  This should get you into Normal-Mode.  In Normal-Mode, complete the rest of the driver uninstall. If this is a reletively new Windows install, just do an "express uninstall" of the Catalyst Install Manager from the Programs & Features list in the Control Panel of Win7.  Reboot as directed.  You can use a third-party Registry Cleaner if you want after the reboot.  Some users prefer Driver Sweeper. v3.2.0.  It's now called, Driver Fusion.

http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Install the latest Unified Driver for the card found here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/fire_win7-64.aspx

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

08/10/2012 10:09 PM

Author Icon
jonathan7007
n00b

Marc,

Thanks for stepping in to help. I "fixed" it myself last night and early this AM.

The V4900 card got confused and left both screens blank/black because the primary screen was going to be the ASUS PA246Q. However, ASUS made a weird On-Screen-Display (OSD) button engineering choice that calls for many frantic Input button presses during the computer boot.

Silly.

I figured that maybe I had to change the input within the OSD, or at least I figured it *might* be what neded to happen, because I would get screen flashing "No DVI input". Well, duh, there is only a DisplayPort cable plugged in! OK, because there had never been a chance to get a true two-screen arrangement in Windows I always got the empty Gateway and blank ASUS. I finally tried (as you suggested, too) pulling the DP and seeing what happened and voila! A Windows screen!

I tested the DP cable on the Lenovo I have that is DP output and knew it was OK. So the call to ASUS confirmed that they had this weird requirement. Their doc references for the screen are downloaded in rar format. I know what that is but it's kinda esoteric for us plain old folks... didn't get around to downloading a rar unpacker late last night.

What a flail!

Anyway, thanks again for writing back so quickly.

No all I have to figure out is why the simple sound connectors on this mobo are blocked by some setting. Jeez, setting up a new do-it-yourself machine is mostly rewarding except for these little annoying user-interface choices by engineers. Works for them! <grin>

Looking forward to using the V4900 to support the Ivy Bridge proc in use of Lightroom and Photoshop. Not a gamer. This is my living!

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jonathan7007

Statistics
84848 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.