Topic Title: Newbie to AMD Needs Help
Topic Summary: Need Guides/Advice on Installing Drivers Correctly
Created On: 09/01/2012 05:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/01/2012 05:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
akebono
Peon

Hi, I am about to receive my first ever AMD processor and video card (It is a APU with a Radeon 6550D)

I have 2 issues:

1. When I first start up the new computer, what should be the first steps I take for updating the video card drivers?

Should I uninstall the default ones first and then install the latest drivers?

And how exactly do i uninstall the default drivers? Will it be in the control panel and what if it is not in the control panel?

I don't want to mess anything up by installing over the default drivers...

2. Can anyone point me to a good detailed guide on AMD Catalyst video options that explains what each option does?

And also a guide on what exactly the AMD Catalyst or Vision Engine is and how to use it..

Thanks.

-------------------------

Let The Game begin.

09/02/2012 06:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ruber
Nerfed

Hello and Welcome to AMD forums,

1. Should you mess up the default drivers?

If your new PC comes with pre-installed operting system and drivers, then don't rush updating the drivers and software. Insted take your time to enjoy it. Usually people update drivers a) to fix issues and/or b) get better performance. 

If this is a self built PC then after you install the operating system you'll need drivers. For a newbie I would recommend those that come on cd/dvd with the hardware, but you can also get their latest version here,

Graphics Drivers and Software

2. Can anyone point me to a good detailed guide on AMD Catalyst video options that explains what each option does?

a) AMD Catalyst has pretty good built-in help files that you can search to quickly find answers

b) AMD Catalyst User Guide PDF

c) forums

Statistics
80915 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.