Topic Title: Losing time when using DVI and not VGA for videos?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/11/2012 02:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/11/2012 02:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
antdude
Grinding Levels

Hello.

Does anyone know why using DVI makes my computer's clock/time slow down a lot when playing videos with DVI and video hardware accelerations? If I use VGA (with a DVI adapter), then I have no problems. I also can make it slow down losing its time rate a lot if I disable all video accelerations in Windows XP Pro. SP3's display hardware acceleration. Also, it seems like watching videos in DVI with video accelerations make clock/time slow down even faster. I can't seem to reproduce the problem if I just idle (not playing and using) in DVI.

You can read my old Windows XP Pro. SP3 primary computer specifications/details at http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...

When playing videos with accelerator:
DVI (with or without CRT TV clone) only = slow down
VGA (60 hz and 72 hz) = no problems
Disabled all Windows XP's display/video accelerations seems to mostly fix DVI's time slowdowns (slower rates -- still saw a few minutes of slow down after 8.5 hours).
No unusual power usage according to UPS.

Tried, but didn't help/work/fix:
Underclocked my GPU clock settings to 500 MHz and memory clock settings to 500 Mhz through enabled AMD Overdrive. Lowest values.
Uninstalled, cleaned, resetted profiles, factory settings, defaults for each section, and installed latest ATI drivers.
Disconnected VGA and rebooted.
Disabled HPET in CMOS/BIOS.
Disabled onboard audio, both onboard networks, and both PCI HDTV tuner cards.
Played audio only showed no problems.
Another DVI cable.
Another old KVM (four ports versus/vs. two ports)
Swapped VGA (and its adapter) and DVI cables between video outs.
Disconnected S-Video.
Uninstalled, cleaned ATI drivers, installed new one, reset everything in profiles and ATI.

Players Used:
-DVB Viewer TE and Pro.
-K-Lite Codec's Mega Pack's MPC-HC
-VLC (pauses in DVI with MP4, but not VGA) [seems to be gone in VLC v2.0.3 even in fullscreen TV clone, but DVI only [VGA unplugged]]
-Flash videos in Mozilla's SeaMonkey can do it too, but at slower rates.

Thank you in advance.

12/30/2012 11:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
antdude
Grinding Levels

With the help in http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994195 forum thread unlike here, I narrowed down to the final/last driver version that did not have this slowing down problems with videos with DVI: v9.4 in XP Pro. SP3 -- http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...?&lang=English

I don't see what is in v9.5 that is changed to cause this.

Statistics
85525 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.