Topic Title: Display driver AMD stopped responding...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2012 03:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2012 03:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zewba
n00b

This problem has just once again started plaguing me. After I initially had this problem, I updated from Vista to Windows 7 32-bit about a year ago. I haven't had a problem since then.... until about 2 weeks ago.

My game/screen will freeze, getting fuzzy and static lines all over, then the driver will recover, and I'll have the error in the bottom stating "The display driver AMD stopped responding but has recovered."

Whenever it doesn't recover, I get a bsod. I've tried reinstalling Windows, cleaning out my computer, scanning for viruses, running GameBooster while playing, and nothing seems to work. I'm assuming this is boiling down to be my graphics card itself, and it probably needs to be replaced, amirite?

It's a Radeon HD 3870 X2, and I've had this PC since about October of 2008. Any help at all would be appreciated!

10/12/2012 04:10 AM

Author Icon
Zewba
n00b

Graphics Card
- ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Driver Version at the moment is 8.850.0.0, 4-19-2011. (I typically keep it updated, but since the frequent crashes, I've been having to re-install it just to get it to work)

Operating System
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, Service Pack 1.

Issue Details
- Issue is described in the post above.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Dell XPS 630i, Motherboard is a Dell Inc, 0PP150 with an nVidia MCP51 chipset.

Power Supply

- Unsure of the power supply.

Applications and Games
- Issue occurs while playing World of Warcraft, or even just while browsing the Internet at random.

CPU Details
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @3.16GHz. 2 Cores. 2 Threads.

Motherboard BIOS Version
- Dell Inc, BIOS Version 1.0.8

System Memory Type & Amount
- DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800 MHz)

Additional Hardware
- I believe I've counted 2 case fans. No additional installs or anything.

Additional Details
- I use Malware Bytes to check for any issues, and have yet to have any.

10/12/2012 05:59 AM

Author Icon
Zewba
n00b

Update:

I've since update the BIOS, Chipset, My video card, any other recommendation via the Dell Website, DirectX, and also have installed every single Windows Update that it's given me.

Will let you know on the progress and if the issue still occurs.

10/12/2012 08:05 AM

Author Icon
Zewba
n00b

Well, the display driver still failed. It recovered, but stopped responding yet again. It's just a matter of time before that bsod hits me.

10/12/2012 01:15 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Power Supply
- Unsure of the power supply.

Unsure of your intelligence if you respond to perhaps the most important question with that. It's a Dell, upgrading is not going to be an option unless you replace that PSU, and Motherboard because it is so old and new cards have a definite chance of issues, and because it has a custom Dell BIOS...Backup your documents and such, build yourself a new computer (don't buy some piece of prefab garbage), and take that Dell and use it for target practice with a 12 gauge.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/01/2012 11:31 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Zewba,  I think you have done a lot of valid troubleshooting so far to try and narrow down the route cause.  What is odd is that the problem occured a long time ago on a different OS, and then after reformatting and switching to a different OS the problem never occured until recently.

Now the system, even doing a reformat and reinstall of the OS hasn't solved it.  The hardware in the system is that much older, and things can fail over time.  The graphics card can certainly be defective in some regard at this point.

Does the problem occur at any specific point?  Are you doing anything in particular that can cause it?

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/01/2012 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sounds like overheating to me. Especially that it's an X2 card. Have you cleaned it and reapplied the termal paste?

Also check the power cables leading to the card. They may have been subject to oxidation, and cannot supply the required power.

It would also be a good idea to test the card in another computer.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84243 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.