Topic Title: Do I Need to Re-enable Processes When Updating Drivers?
Topic Summary: Do I need to renable the atirsxx aticlxx.exe stuff and amd fuel stuff when updating?
Created On: 10/13/2012 08:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2012 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
akebono
Peon

Hi, I notice that there might be a new official driver soon, and I need to know if I need to re-enable some processes/services I disabled in order to update?

I disabled the atiesrxx.exe, ateiclxx.exe, the AMD fuel service, and unchecked the clistart.exe so that ccc.exe won't start up unless I start it.

So my question is do I need to re-enable all of these in order to update to a new driver, or is it ok to leave it disabled?

Thanks.

-------------------------

Let The Game begin.

10/13/2012 09:54 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You can leave them, but the installer will reenable them during the update.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/15/2012 05:02 PM

Author Icon
akebono
Peon

ok thanks, and also a question about updating:

I know the official AMD support says to uninstall the previous drivers through the control panel before installing the new drivers.

is this what you do? or can you just install the new drivers over the old ones?

Let The Game begin.

10/15/2012 05:35 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

.....erm.....the answer to that can be kinda tricky, tbh.  From my experience on this, I have found that the less complicated your rig is the more likely that you won't run into issues simply installing right over the old version.  I would always take the long route on my main rig of uninstalling CCC....rebooting into safe mode and running Driver Sweeper (now Driver Fusion)....reboot back into the OS....installing the new driver....rebooting a couple of times.....resetting up all my personal preference settings....rebooting again.  I did this to try and rule out any issues that may have popped up...for me I just felt safer going the long route.

On my wife's and son's computers, they have simple hardware setups...no crossfire....no top of the line GPU's so, I haven't found a need to go the long route....I just install the new right over the old, no problems.  They don't play games though so I can't say for sure that there are not any hidden issues that I am not aware of hiding in the background. 

Only advise that I can give you is....try installing over the top, followed by testing....if there isn't any issues, you should be fine....if you have issues pop up, take the long route.  Most importantly though, if you are not experiencing any issues with your card(s), then don't installing a new CCC version....no reason to. 

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Statistics
88974 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.