Topic Title: Installs successful but don't install
Topic Summary: Catalyst AGP Hotfix
Created On: 10/19/2012 02:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2012 02:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
coyote2
Peon

Installs of the Catalyst AGP Hotfix 12.8 complete successfully, but don't actually install it.

Incidentally, I'm happy with 11.8 so I wouldn't have even tried to update it, except that I need to run System File Check (sfc /scannow), and for some reason doing so makes the Catalyst drivers stop working.

I follow the steps at tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html to uninstall before installing.

Card:  HIS HD 4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1GB (128bit) DDR3 AGP

Diver History:

I also tried 12.6 without success because it is the latest version available at support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

I was one of those people that couldn't update for a while because versions after 11.1 (until IIRC 11.8) gave the "ati2mtag.sys" BSOD on install.

WinXP Pro sp3 32-bit

Dell Dimension 8300 with latest BIOS (A07) and 305W PSU.

Monitor: HD LP2475w over DVI.

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 dual-core CPU

Four 1GB sticks of G.SKILL RAM

PCI Cards:  A SATA card, an eSATA card, and a NIC card.

System (boot) hard drive:  WD VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB

10/19/2012 02:57 PM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

The highest Catalyst version you can install with a Radeon HD 4670 is Catalyst 12.6.

If the automatic package is not working I recommend that you manually install the drivers through device manager.

To obtain 12.6 AGP drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

1. Go into the Device Manger (Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then  click System. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. )

2. In this case we probably have the following entries for other devices. Video Controller <--- Right click on this  and select "Update Driver"Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

3. In the hardware update wizard, select no not this time and then install from a list or specific location

4. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install

5. Click on "have disk"

6. Browse to C:\AMD\Support\12-2_win_XP_32_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF AS AN EXAMPLE for Catalyst 12.2.

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

10/19/2012 03:08 PM

Author Icon
coyote2
Peon

That is the verson of 12.6 that I already tried.  (I tried 12.8 because FileHippo's Update Checker is offering it, FYI.)

I'll give a manual install in Device Manager a shot, thank you very much!

Statistics
84262 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.