Topic Title: After 12.10 failed upgrade, "the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/25/2012 07:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/25/2012 07:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jron
n00b

Hello! I haven't been able to do a single AMD driver update without running into problems, so sadly I'm a little frustrated, hopefully someone can help out since this time I'm stumped. Had 12.8, during the 12.10 install it eventually goes to a black screen every single time. This is the error I receive after rebooting and trying to pull up catalyst http://i.imgur.com/vP9fG.png

This occurs even after doing a full uninstall of catalyst and reinstall. I'm going to attempt 12.11 beta drivers next to see if there's any difference. I also submitted a bug report.

Graphics Card
- 2x in crossfire, HIS Radeon HD 6950 H695QNT2G2M. No overclocking.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 12.8 was running fine, can't upgrade to 12.10 now

Operating System
- Windows 7 64-bit

Issue Details
- Described mostly above. Right clicking on my desktop and pulling up CCC brings that error.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- ASUS P7P55D Deluxe

Power Supply

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- 1x DELL U2410 and 2x Hanns-G 22" monitors

CPU Details
- Core i7 860. Overclocked by ASUS mobo tool, to 3.4ghtz, x21 multiplier

Motherboard BIOS Version

System Memory Type & Amount
- 16GB DDR3

Additional Hardware
- 2x dvdrws, 2x 160GB velociraptors in raid 0, a couple of other 1TB sata drives

Additional Details
- System is clean, no other hardware issues

10/25/2012 07:29 PM

Author Icon
jron
n00b

I just wanted to follow up that 12.11 beta drivers installed fine and run games without any problems. No idea what's up with 12.10 stable, but oh well. This isn't the first time that AMD beta drivers worked better for me than normal ones.

10/25/2012 08:02 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

A couple of things to try....

• Since you are running crossfire, try disabling it prior to running the update.
  • Most users, myself included, like to completely uninstall CCC, run Driver Fusion (in safe mode), before installing the new CCC version.

Doing the second option will eliminate anything left behind on the old driver that may cause problems/conflicts with the new drivers.

Aside from that all that I can really say is don't install new drivers unless you know that the new driver is supposed to fix a bug in the version that you are currently using....i.e. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Glad you are running fine now though!

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/25/2012 08:16 PM

Author Icon
jron
n00b

Thanks! I'll have to give Driver Fusion a shot the next time this happens, since something seems to break every time I do an update. I like to make sure I have the latest version since I'm often playing brand new releases, so it ensures that I get the most out of my card.

Statistics
84269 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.