Topic Title: A small issue with catalyst drivers over the last months
Topic Summary: catalyst fail to install properly after uninstall
Created On: 10/29/2012 12:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2012 12:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
astrotweak
n00b

Hello,

As a power user i always keep my rig up to date, to keep it crush free, A major part of this is obviously device drivers.

Over the last years i had Radeon video cards on my last 4 rigs and i always updated the driver when a newer version became available, the procedure was simple - uninstall from the control panel, reboot, reinstall new driver.

Over the past driver packages i had some difficulties upgrading, i actually even made a clean install to my rig with windows 7 x64 to see if i get the same result (and some other tests) – and I did.

The thing is - when i uninstall the driver, reboot, and reinstall the new driver - everything reports 'well' but after the required reboot to finish the setup is done, i get catalyst control panel with many missing components, when i check under the information -> hardware, i see that my video card vendor id, memory size and etc are not detected, when i check under information -> software then the direct3d and opengl software versions fail to repot as well.

If i do a 'deep clean' for the driver using a software like driver sweeper and then reinstall it driver - it works well and detects everything, but the whole uninstall process is annoying.

Since i am a 'pro user', then i can get along with the annoying process of updating the driver, but i'm sure that other users are lost with this problem.

Please check this at your free time and if you need more info – ask and I will kindly provide.

I’m using windows 2008 sr2 with radeon hd 6850 1gb on intel 17 2600k, 16gb ram.

Best regards.

10/29/2012 01:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

This should be reported to AMD via the Issue Report form > http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F58

The forum is peer to peer and not capable of making any changes.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

Statistics
88867 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.