Topic Title: Missing options in CCC after Win8 upgrade
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2012 04:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2012 04:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slicksw20
n00b

Hey guys,

I just upgraded to Win8 Pro from Win7 and ran into some display issues.  In Win7, I had Eyefinity configured to span my display across 3 monitors.  After upgrading to Win8, my display was no longer spanning the three monitors, instead reverting back to the Windows default "multiple desktops" layout.  I jumped into CCC to try and reset my Eyefinity settings, which is where I've been stuck all morning:  

CCC's "desktops and displays" settings is missing!

I've tried wiping out all my ATI software/drivers and re-installing, which only made things worse - CCC was still missing options, and on top of that, I couldn't get Windows to set a resolution higher than 1280x1024 or allow multiple monitors.  Luckily I had a backup point to restore to, but it still leaves me stuck with my original issue of not being able to reconfigure Eyefinity.  And that's where I turn to you all for help: what's going on with CCC??  How can I get the "desktops and displays" option to return?

Graphics Card
ATI Radeon HD 5770

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Current: 12.10
Previous:  Unknown (I didn't look before I upgraded to Win8) 

Operating System
Current: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
Previous: Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Issue Details
Had Eyefinity configured on Win7 to span display across my 3 monitors.  After upgrading to Win8, CCC is missing the "desktops and displays" option, and I am unable to reconfigure Eyefinity settings.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
HP Pavilion Elite e9120f

Power Supply

Upgraded 450w unit (make/model unknown)

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
3 LG W2361 monitors. 
Conneciton types: 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x Display Port (active DP -> HDMI adapter)

CPU Details
AMD Phenom II X4 910 Processor @ 2.6GHz

System Memory Type & Amount
8GB RAM

10/29/2012 05:03 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Did you do a upgrade to win8 or a clean install? Some win8 adopters have fixed issues by doing a clean install,

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/29/2012 07:40 PM

Author Icon
ryanverdekal
n00b

I have the same problem, I upgraded.  I refuse to do a clean install, I'll just wait it out I guess

10/29/2012 07:45 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

ok

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

10/29/2012 08:07 PM

Author Icon
Daylight95
n00b

Same issue here. I also will not accept a fresh install as a soltion to this. Someone at AMD needs to fix this *****. Numerous registry cleans and fresh installs of the CCC have done nothing.

10/29/2012 09:59 PM

Author Icon
ryanverdekal
n00b

I agree with you.

10/29/2012 11:48 PM

Author Icon
slicksw20
n00b

Yeah, I upgraded.  I had read in a couple other threads that a clean install may fix it, but that's a big "maybe", especially given the issues I had when I tried to remove and re-install the drivers/CCC.  I may try a fresh install if AMD doesn't have it fixed in a week or two, but I do agree with the concensus that there needs to be a better solution.

10/30/2012 01:05 AM

Author Icon
dechou
n00b

I have the exact same problem.  I cannot do a clean install of Windows 8.  It would take several weeks to reinstall all of the programs and data on this machine.  Please fix this problem ASAP.

10/30/2012 08:43 AM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Dungeon Master

I did the upgrade to win8 pro from Vista.
There is no "desktops and displays". There is Desktop Management, Common display tasks and Eyefinity menus.
Setting up eyefinity and my assorted desktop configs were straight forward with no problems. Cat 12.11b3

#1: Phenom II C2 955BE @ 3.6, Antec Kuhler 920, Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, Asus 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X, 4 x 1gig OCZ2N1066SR2GK @800, Antec Truepower New 750, Arc Midi, Vistax64
#2: MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 (R938G2130UK), Antec 750 True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, WD Black 1TB, Win8.1pro x64
#3: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, AGP 1950pro, Audigy 2, Asus A8V-D, 2gig ram, Enermax 465P, Antec900case. Now on Win8.1pro cat 10.2

10/30/2012 02:49 PM

Author Icon
Daylight95
n00b

***** acknowledge this problem AMD! If I see an official statement saying that doing a fresh install is a solution I'm gonna be so ***** pissed off. It's been two days with the hideous black bars now. I also want to sort out the colour balance on my second monitor using the CCC. Why is AMD's support so bad? Pro tip: Stick to nvidia even though it's more expensive.

10/30/2012 03:20 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS

email is                                michaelkidd@dublin.ie

10/30/2012 04:05 PM

Author Icon
Daylight95
n00b

Originally posted by: NlTESHADE I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

Will the version you linked be suitable for the 6870?

10/30/2012 04:23 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Daylight95 ***** acknowledge this problem AMD! If I see an official statement saying that doing a fresh install is a solution I'm gonna be so ***** pissed off. It's been two days with the hideous black bars now. I also want to sort out the colour balance on my second monitor using the CCC. Why is AMD's support so bad? Pro tip: Stick to nvidia even though it's more expensive.

You and the others seem to think your complaints are doing some good by posting here. You are wrong. This is a peer-to-peer forum. That's a big word for user-to-user. This is a place to share your thoughts with other users. All the bleating in the world will not help you...you are preaching to the choir. If you want to voice your issue to a department where it is taken seriousley and the department that actually has the ability to look in to your complaint and fix it, then use the issue reporting form. It is called "Issue Reporting Form". Do they pay attention to one guy who has a reproducible issue? Probably not. Will they pay attention to hundreds of complaints...yes. So cry on each others shoulders all you want, but if you want to get AMD's attention use the Report Form > http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F58 .

PS....nobody gives a s**t if you buys Nvidia. Why should we?

10/30/2012 05:51 PM

Author Icon
Daylight95
n00b

Originally posted by: NlTESHADE I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

Link Below.

Didn't work for me. Still stuck with only 4 options on my CCC. Fix this AMD...

10/30/2012 07:47 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

this is technically the Right driver for you, but it is the same as the windows 8 version, 

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

but i would suggest trying my original method first if the windows 8 driver didnt work for you as i have seen it work with later GPU's, 

let me know how it turns out because if it works for you it may work for others.

10/30/2012 08:51 PM

Author Icon
Daylight95
n00b

Originally posted by: Daylight95

Link Below.

Didn't work for me. Still stuck with only 4 options on my CCC. Fix this AMD...

HOLY CRAP! THIS WORKS! EVEN IF YOU HAVE ABOVE A 5000 SERIES CARD STILL TRY THIS METHORD! THE DRIVERS SAY THEY ARE ONLY FOR 5000 SERIES OR LOWER BUT THIS WORKS! TRIED IT USING A 6870! I SAID IT DIDN'T WORK THE FIRST TIME CAUSE I NEVER REALISED I WAS SUPPOSED TO USE THE DRIVERS NITESHADE LINKED EVEN THOUGH THE DRIVERS WEREN'T INTENDED FOR MY CARD!

10/30/2012 08:54 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Glad to Hear it, it annoyed me for days , i decided to play all my hitmam games again, played 1 and 2, then decided i wasnt going to play contracts in half screen, gave it shot and there it is.

11/01/2012 08:35 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

Link Below.

Edited: 11/01/2012 at 09:21 PM by LogicalSpock
 11/01/2012 09:35 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

Well I posted an edit to my reply above and nothing took.In short, I have the same Windows 8 upgrade issue with the black frame and fuzzy text (from the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping). After a week of the official Windows 8 release, I am curious as to why AMD is silent regarding this issue. A simple "we are working on a fix" or "you are SOL since you didn't do a clean install" would do. All other apps and drivers upgraded fine, including my Creative X-Fi drivers and controls (I do a lot of audio work). I don't even need CCC. I just want my full screen back. Come on AMD!

11/01/2012 10:38 PM

Author Icon
dechou
n00b

AMEN!  I reported this same issue several days ago and they basically told me "tough s***...nobody else is reporting problems...must be you" 

Signed:  fed up with this crap

Statistics
84150 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.