Topic Title: Missing options in CCC after Win8 upgrade
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2012 04:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2012 04:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

my message didnt show a moment ago, trying again.

If you dont have CCC installed, and you have an AMD GPU then you graphic driver is not complete, you always need CCC it allows the GPU to communicate with the OS, remove all previous versions of CCC by the method i have posted already, install CCC 12.6 first, then upgrade your driver and it should work, so far i have had alot of good feedback from people about it on many sites. this will fix the black borders on your screen, the problem is that AMD have not made the windows 8 driver for certain cards and for the one they did make it is missing most of the settings, maybe the new cards have different functions,

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

download this driver first and it will give you the overdrive ability and also desktop and display options. email me if you have any problems

11/02/2012 04:42 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

I have an HD 5750. After the uprade, CCC only has CPU controls (I have an AMD processor). When I go to remove the CCC in "Programs and Features", the only AMD app showing is the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" no other CCC apps showing. If I run the Install Manager, it only gives me the option to uninstall itself, no option to uninstall CCC.A few days ago, I tried to remove all ATI related files and registry settings with Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. I then tried to install the CCC drivers in Safe Mode. The driver installer actually started doing its thing that time, but would stop shortly after stating "Failed to load detection driver". When I booted back into normal Windows 8, only the generic video drivers were loaded. Any CCC installer again would not start up. Windows 8 would not even update the generic to its own ATI driver blaming registry errors (I guess from the Driver Sweeper actions). Anyways I was forced to run system restore to get back the crappy Windows 8 ATI driver.

-------------------------
 11/02/2012 05:29 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Originally posted by: LogicalSpock I have an HD 5750. After the uprade, CCC only has CPU controls (I have an AMD processor). When I go to remove the CCC in "Programs and Features", the only AMD app showing is the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" no other CCC apps showing. If I run the Install Manager, it only gives me the option to uninstall itself, no option to uninstall CCC.A few days ago, I tried to remove all ATI related files and registry settings with Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. I then tried to install the CCC drivers in Safe Mode. The driver installer actually started doing its thing that time, but would stop shortly after stating "Failed to load detection driver". When I booted back into normal Windows 8, only the generic video drivers were loaded. Any CCC installer again would not start up. Windows 8 would not even update the generic to its own ATI driver blaming registry errors (I guess from the Driver Sweeper actions). Anyways I was forced to run system restore to get back the crappy Windows 8 ATI driver.

ok well if you follow the directions i posted exactly it will work i have the same series of GPU, and works perfectly, dont use driver sweeper use CCleaner, its better you do uninstall the install manager and when you click to unistall it sometime has three options the bottom one says remove all ati, then delete the amd folders in C: usually something like C:\ati or amd, delete any folders like that, then run ccleaner, retart the laptop and only install CCC version 12.6 no other version. if you have Teamspeak, we are on channel (UIS.HOPTO.org) without the brackets, we are usually on during the day playing star trek online we can walk you through it.#

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

this is the method just to repeat.

I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

11/02/2012 05:33 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

if needed i could take remote access of your laptop and fix for you, i wouldnt recommend that normally with strangers, but you pretty much have enough of my details at this stage and it shows you everything im doing and can cut me off at anytime.

11/02/2012 06:12 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

Thanks for the help. In your step 1:1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.All I have is the AMD Install Manager in Programs and Features, nothing else AMD/ATI. It will remove itself, but not CCC. As I recall, it should offer the option to remove CCC, but mine doesn't offer it.  I get no install options screen when running it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've been double clicking the AMD Install Manager in Programs and Features. That seems to be my snafu. Should I just remove the Install Manager and move on to step 2 even if CCC is still on my system?But guess what? I got my full screen back! Hoo-ray! I found a single registry entry to fix it. I found the fix at Superuser.com here:http://superuser.com/questions/458321/change-overscan-underscan-settings-without-catalyst-control-centerGetting back CCC functionality would be nice though. 

Edited: 11/02/2012 at 06:22 PM by LogicalSpock
 11/02/2012 06:19 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

Why are my line feeds not translating into my posts??

11/02/2012 06:36 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Originally posted by: LogicalSpock Thanks for the help. In your step 1:1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.All I have is the AMD Install Manager in Programs and Features, nothing else AMD/ATI. It will remove itself, but not CCC. As I recall, it should offer the option to remove CCC, but mine doesn't offer it.  I get no install options screen when running it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've been double clicking the AMD Install Manager in Programs and Features. That seems to be my snafu. Should I just remove the Install Manager and move on to step 2 even if CCC is still on my system?But guess what? I got my full screen back! Hoo-ray! I found a single registry entry to fix it. I found the fix at Superuser.com here:http://superuser.com/questions/458321/change-overscan-underscan-settings-without-catalyst-control-centerGetting back CCC functionality would be nice though. 

if it not giving the option to remove CCC it should still be ok, remove install manager, delete the ati/amd files and then run ccleaner removing all invalid reg.files. install 12.6 CCC and should be good.

11/04/2012 08:12 AM

Author Icon
Pronam
n00b

Another possible fix here without the use of reg/driver cleaners.

I had the same issue with me 7870 card of the display driver not installing after upgrading to win8 so I just updated it manually via the device manager.

(This only works if you run the installer at least once which extracts the files onto your pc)

To do that go to your Control Panel->Device Management->Right click, then properties on your video card and hit the upgrade button. Then hit the look for upgrades on your computer button and find the folder the installer used to extract the files. It should be something like C:\Amd\AMD_Catalyst_12.xx. Then it found and installed the driver.

My common practice is to do a reboot right after, but the settings might appear in CCC before already.

11/04/2012 08:31 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

First...all "driver cleaners" are not the same. The one to use is Driver Fusion http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion ...you select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Second...using Crap Cleaner (registry) can cause problems with some systems by removing essential entries. Third..all you will see in 'uninstall a program' is 'AMD Catalyst Install Manager' ..that is normal. What you select is 'Express uninstall all AMD software' ..including the installer.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/04/2012 09:33 AM

Author Icon
MannyL
n00b

This does NOT work!

I have a HD4600 which was working fine in Win7.  I have my computer connected to my 42inch flat panel TV and was able to scale it to remove the black borders ussing CCC.

I originally performed an upgrade to Win8 over the top of Win7.  While this is NEVER the best method to upgrade an OS and doing a flatten and install is always the preferred method.  I wanted to see how the upgrade process worked.  The upgrade process did complain about CCC and said it would have to be re-installed after.

I downloaded a variety of CCC driver packages including the 12.6 Legacy one mentioned here.  They all presented me with only 4 options none of which addresses the scaling issue and black border around the picture on my TV.

I then decided to flatten and do a clean install of Win8.  Win8 by default sees the video card as an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1).

I then followed your instructions listed here to the letter.  In fact... I have performed these steps numerous times.

The computer still sees the video card as an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) after scanning for hardware changes.

And CCC still ONLY shows 4 options:

Pinned
Presets
Performance
Power

There is NO option for aspect ratio/scaling....

Edited: 11/04/2012 at 11:02 AM by MannyL
 11/04/2012 11:24 AM

Author Icon
MannyL
n00b

OK!!!!  I finally got it to work.

Here is what I did:

1.  In Control Panel under Programs and Features, I removed all the ATI applications using Express Uninstall as stated in the instructions prior.

2.  I then right clicked on the ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) drive in DEVICE MANAGER and clicked Uninstall, as I had done prior

3.  I then ran CCleaner and under REGISTRY removed all ATI items as I had done prior

4.  I then installed 12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe, which I had also done prior.

5.  I then opened DEVICE MANAGER, and at the top of the list  in the right hand pane, right clicked on the name of my computer and selected Scan for New Hardware.  Once again it found the ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) However, CCC still only showed 4 items.

6.  I then right clicked onATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) and selected UPDATE DRIVE SOFTWARE.  I then selected BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE and pointed it to the ATI folder that was created from the 12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe installation.

7.  This time instead of finding the driver as ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) it found it as ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series.

8.  Now CCC shows the full time list including the ability to scale the screen so no black borders.

Party on!!!!!

11/04/2012 12:27 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Originally posted by: MannyL OK!!!!  I finally got it to work.

Here is what I did:

1.  In Control Panel under Programs and Features, I removed all the ATI applications using Express Uninstall as stated in the instructions prior.

2.  I then right clicked on the ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) drive in DEVICE MANAGER and clicked Uninstall, as I had done prior

3.  I then ran CCleaner and under REGISTRY removed all ATI items as I had done prior

4.  I then installed 12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe, which I had also done prior.

5.  I then opened DEVICE MANAGER, and at the top of the list  in the right hand pane, right clicked on the name of my computer and selected Scan for New Hardware.  Once again it found the ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) However, CCC still only showed 4 items.

6.  I then right clicked onATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) and selected UPDATE DRIVE SOFTWARE.  I then selected BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE and pointed it to the ATI folder that was created from the 12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe installation.

7.  This time instead of finding the driver as ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) it found it as ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series.

8.  Now CCC shows the full time list including the ability to scale the screen so no black borders.

Party on!!!!!

thats the same method i already listed

11/04/2012 04:25 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

So booting into safe-mode was not neccessary with the prosedure?

11/04/2012 04:44 PM

Author Icon
Timmay
Peon

All,I have a Gigabyte 7870 GHZ edition and had the same problem with the CCC not giving anything butr 2 options when I opened it.  I followed Niteshade's directions to a "T" using Cat 12.6 WHQL and I got full funtion CCC back!!!  It works.  The onloy additional thing I did was when all was uninstalled, I rebooted then went back and installed CCC 12.6 and did the driver thing!  Safe mode was not required when using CCleaner!I'm shocked that it worked and that it was so simple.  Thanks to Niteshade's directions, it should work for anyone with this issue regardless of the card they have with the problem!

11/04/2012 05:09 PM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

Spock, safe mode is not needed at all to fix this issue, safe mode only really comes in handy when a process is running that u need to not run in order to do what your trying to do, in this case CCC stops running when uninstalled so no problem, and thanks Timmay Glad it helped.

11/04/2012 09:15 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

OK. On my first attempt to perform those 8 steps, I get to step 4, start loading the 12.6 legacy drivers, which it does start to do for the first time, and it seems to get stuck on "Currently Installing: AMD Catalyst Install Manager". It's been stuck over 5 minutes with a green bar of about 10% complete. The green area is still waving, the three dots are still blinking, and the ads are still flipping. The task manager does not indicate that it has stopped responding, but it definitely has stopped progressing. Oh my.

11/04/2012 10:12 PM

Author Icon
LogicalSpock
Peon

I ended up using task manager to stop the 12.6 installation. It just would not progress. I tried installing it again and it stopped even sooner than the first. On the third try, I got some error loading some DLL when it started extracting files and all further tries had the same result. Just out of curiosity I went to the device manager and there was no display device in the hardware listing. I right clicked on my system and selected to search for hardware. That task went on eternally and would not complete its search. I had to use task manager to shut that down. Out of concern for my system, I ran system restore and that also went on eternally not getting past the "preparing to restore your system" phase. Ended up doing a hard shutdown. The reboot reloaded the original Windows 8 driver. 12.6 no longer runs as in the past, and a search to update drivers pointing at the 12.6 directory results in a 'you already have the most current driver installed" message. CCleaner showed no ATI related items in the registry (it only showed 3 items after the CCC installer removed items the first time). I give up. I was able to run system restore after the reboot. I have no black borders from the registry fix, so I should count my blessings. Thanks for the help. 

11/05/2012 03:49 AM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

dont install the video driver by pointing it to the CCC installer, the video driver is different when u update the driver just let it do it automatcally from online, install CCC 12.6 seperately by itself. you seem to be doing everything the hard way, just follow the list i made every step of the way without adding anything, it works perfectly.

11/05/2012 03:56 AM

Author Icon
NlTESHADE
Peon

OK i have made a Youtube Video with the solution, follow the video step by step and you will have no problem, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHQm3ezSq0&feature=youtu.be

Edited: 11/05/2012 at 06:46 AM by NlTESHADE
 11/07/2012 03:12 AM

Author Icon
hartstein
Peon

That didn't work for me. I get this error, when I try to start CCC:

CCC can not be startet, because there are no settings anymore.

Can someone help? I have an HD4650.

Regards,

Dirk

Originally posted by: MannyL OK!!!!  I finally got it to work.

Here is what I did:

Party on!!!!!

Statistics
84844 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.