Topic Title: Serious graphics errors Windows 8 - Fixed!
Topic Summary: I have some serious graphics errors in games.
Created On: 10/31/2012 05:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2012 05:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

Hello AMD community.

I'd like to start of with saying that i'm new here, so i am not completely sure if this is in the right a section.

But i have just installed Windows 8 on my desktop computer, and boy i like it. I only have one issue, which comes in every game i've tried (Battlefield 3, Killing Floor, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2).

I get some serious graphics errors which can in the bottom of the post.

The drivers i have tried is the 12.10 and 12.11 Beta4 drivers which should both be compatible with Windows 8.

Here you have my system setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.0)

CPU: AMD FX-8150 / 3.6 GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - 3GB

RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz (4x4 modules)

PSU: Corsair GS800

Everything works in Windows 7 where i have only had this issue a rare case in Killing floor.. It seemed it didn't like a low resolution, but in Windows 8 it is with all resolutions.

I hope you guys can help.

Sincerely

Vej.

How my games looks like in Windows 8

Edited: 11/02/2012 at 04:06 PM by Vej
 11/01/2012 10:31 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

There are other threads that are reporting the same issue.  Did you upgrade to Win8 or did you install Win8 via a full (fresh) install? 

You might want to try the following, but no promises that it will fix the issue:

• Download CCC again (to rule out corruption in the download that you currently have)
  • Download/install Driver Fusion
  • Uninstall CCC completely
  • Reboot into safe mode
  • Right-click Driver Fusion choose "Run as Administrator"
  • Select AMD Graphics
  • Select Analyze
  • Select Clean
  • Reboot when prompted (into your regular OS)
  • Install CCC
  • Reboot 2-3 times before opening CCC up to allow it to complete configuring itself in the background.
  • Re-test

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/01/2012 07:28 PM

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

Hi Canis-X.

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry i didn't find the other posts with similar issues.

I installed Windows 8 from a fresh install (twice).

I tried your guess, but sadly it didn't work. Same errors as before.

I can add though, that if i disable the GPU in Device Manager, the graphics are fine.. It just obviously lag a lot since it doesn't take advantage of the GPU. I don't know if that is useful, but now you have it

Again, i appreciate your help.

11/01/2012 09:01 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

....hmmmm....did you have the same issue in Win7?  Please remember, that as early adopters (i.e. the new OS) you should expect for there to be some issues.  You can wait and try a new driver later or go back.

For me, when I move to a new OS quickly....I've always dual booted for a bit to make sure the new OS is where I need it to be before I commit.  With the advent of VM's that is even easier to test with, but as with anything don't just take my word for it....keep checking in here....research other forums....etc.  If you do fid a solution though, please stop by here and let us know whatcha got. 

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/02/2012 07:58 AM

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

I have tried this issue 1 time not long ago in Killing Floor in Windows 7. It came for some reason due to a low resolution on the screen. Changed it to 1080p and it was fine again.

Otherwise i have not had any issues in Win 7.

And as you said you do, i also usually check things before updating, but as i have been using Developer Preview, Consumer Preview and Release Preview with no issues what so ever, i felt pretty confident with the final release

But i will try a few things out and jeep searching for answers. Thank you for your time

11/02/2012 01:14 PM

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

Hi again.

The problem is solved. I just got an optional update trough Windows Update for the graphics card. That did the trick, and everything works now.

11/02/2012 01:28 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Can you look at your update history and let us know specifically which update corrected the issue (KB#) please?  It would be nice if we knew so that we could read up on it and be able to provide as a solution for others to try.

Cheers!

11/02/2012 04:03 PM

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

The update name was "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series".

It was released in October, and comes as an Optional Update

11/02/2012 04:34 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Thank you! 

11/02/2012 09:11 PM

Author Icon
Vej
n00b

You're welcome

Statistics
84157 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.