Topic Title: Horizontal lines
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2012 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2012 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
FizzgigUK
Peon

Hi,

I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer since the most recent catalyst update.  After I installed version 12.10, I was getting blue screens whenever I played World of Warcraft.  I followed some advice and used the "Roll back" driver button on the driver properties page.  Ever since then my monitor has had lots of horizontal lines that scroll upwards on the screen.  They are quite faint but show up well on a white screen.  I tried uninstalling the drivers completely and installing two different versions (12.8 and 12.6) both still give me the issue.  I am unsure as to what version driver I had before updating to 12.10, but they were pretty old.  Any advice would be much welcomed!

Some specifications:

ATI Radeon HD 5700
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Monitors - the one with the issue is a Hanns-G 22" LCD
2.83GHz Quad Core Intel
4GB RAM 

11/01/2012 10:32 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Try the following:

• Download CCC again (to rule out corruption in the download that you currently have)
  • Download/install Driver Fusion
  • Uninstall CCC completely
  • Reboot into safe mode
  • Right-click Driver Fusion choose "Run as Administrator"
  • Select AMD Graphics
  • Select Analyze
  • Select Clean
  • Reboot when prompted (into your regular OS)
  • Install CCC
  • Reboot 2-3 times before opening CCC up to allow it to complete configuring itself in the background.
  • Re-test

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/07/2012 02:15 PM

Author Icon
FizzgigUK
Peon

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I tried what you suggested and things are no better (I only used the trial version of Driver Fusion though).  I have noticed however that the lines only show up after my PC has been running for about an hour.  I know that my graphics card isn't overheating though as my PC tower has a temperature display on it, and the highest temperature it reaches is 32 degrees (celsius).  I've also noticed that the lines are present on both monitors, before I had only noticed it on my main monitor, and they disapear when I uninstall the graphics drivers.

Could it be a hardware issue? Its an old card and it was second hand when I received it, although I've used it for months with no problems, until now.

11/07/2012 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Try an older version of CCC, like the one you upgraded from, using the steps defined in my previous post, and see if the issue persists.  If it is gone, disable auto updates in CCC.  You can try the next release to see if the issue was corrected or not. 

Side note:  Unless you are having an issue with CCC and the new releases notes state specifically that it contains the correction there is no need to install the newer version of CCC.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/07/2012 05:33 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: FizzgigUK  (I only used the trial version of Driver Fusion though).    

Driver Fusion is free. You must have downloaded the 'pay for' version.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/15/2012 11:21 AM

Author Icon
FizzgigUK
Peon

I think I've got to the bottom of the problem.  Late last night while my PC was off (I leave my monitors on standby) one of them started flickering with the "check video input" message, almost like someone was putting the plug in then pulling it out again.  It wouldn't stop so I unplugged the monitor, its a really old one so I guess its time is up!  Anyway, since using my PC with just the one monitor now, the problem has stopped.  I assume the failing electrical cord or powerpack was causing inferferance with both of the monitors (the power cable for the dead monitor runs behind my other one).

Thanks for the replies though!

Statistics
84294 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.