Topic Title: Explorer Crashes after updating to 12.10
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/03/2012 05:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/03/2012 05:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JustKanji
n00b

Hello, is there a hotfix on the way ? after a google search I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. 

On the crash log it says :   Fault Module Name:    atiumd64.dll 

So I am certain this is a problem with your drivers, crashes occur randomly every 2 mins or so.

If anyone is running 12.8 and can upload this dll for me I'd be grateful, I don't have much time to reinstall now and wish to stay up, this thing is annoying me.

11/03/2012 06:00 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

That tells you nothing about what caused it to fault...it could be anything including sound cards. If you want some suggestions, then:

Hi...you need to supply some basic information about your computer before anyone can try to be of assistance.

Please supply the following:

1. AMD graphics card(s)
2. Operating system
3. Processor
4. Power supply (make and model)
5. System RAM (amount)
6. If this is a laptop furnish make and model

Also, you could read  http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y   for additional information.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/03/2012 06:04 PM

Author Icon
JustKanji
n00b

What does it matter if I'm telling you this happend exactly after updating my gpu drivers ?

Anyway :

1. 6850 HD x2

2. Windows 7 64bit

3. Intel  i5 760

4. 6 Gbs

5. I'm not sure about exact numbers and model of my PSU, I've had this pc for a while and it is more than sufficient to not cause problems.

6. It's a desktop

I know what I'm saying anyway, I already googled and saw I'm not the only one with this exact problem and this exact log and these exact circumstances.

Edited: 11/03/2012 at 06:12 PM by JustKanji
 11/06/2012 12:04 AM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

Originally posted by: JustKanji What does it matter if I'm telling you this happend exactly after updating my gpu drivers ?

Anyway :

1. 6850 HD x2

2. Windows 7 64bit

3. Intel  i5 760

4. 6 Gbs

5. I'm not sure about exact numbers and model of my PSU, I've had this pc for a while and it is more than sufficient to not cause problems.

6. It's a desktop

I know what I'm saying anyway, I already googled and saw I'm not the only one with this exact problem and this exact log and these exact circumstances.

You're right and it is a known issue with the 6xxx series of cards and any driver 12.8 or higher.

For now, the latest driver you can run without the issue is the Official 12.7 betas.

We've been getting the usual AMD crap reply of "well there isnt reall any more performance to be gained with the 6xxx series, so just use the older drivers".

Well that may be true, but with AMDs track record of drivers not working right with new releases (especially crossfire), then how the heck are you gonna update your drivers when there is a driver fix that you need for a new title.

11/06/2012 03:30 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Ok....why don't I have this problem?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

11/06/2012 09:32 PM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Ok....why don't I have this problem?

God i wish we knew the answer to that.

Ive done a clean install of Win7 64bit with SP1 ONLY... once it hit the desktop i installed nothing but the AMD drivers and get the Windows Explore crash, the same with a clean install of Win8... so its not a 3rd party driver issue or anything.

I'm gonna pull one card next and do a clean install with just one and see if it a multi gpu issue, but many others without multi GPUs are also reporting the issue....The only thing that is easily noticable about the CAt 12.8, 12.9, 12.10 is the inclusion of .NET 4 which may or may not have anything to do with it, but i tried excluding it and CCC and just installing the driver and still saw the issue.

Now if you replace the atiumd64.dll file with an older version, the issue goes away.

Read about it here. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=369442&highlight=atiumd64.dll

Intel i7 2600k

Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo

Two Sapphire 6970's

16GB Gskill DDR3

Corsair HX 850 psu

Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Edited: 11/06/2012 at 09:44 PM by mtdew332
 11/06/2012 11:36 PM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

EDIT...UPDATE: Please see update in post below be fore using fix in this post!

EDIT: You'll notice this only happens with x-fire enabled, if you disable x-fire and run a single card, the Windows Explorer crashes stop also without the need to do the fix below.

Ok JustKanji,

Here is your fix and a quick eplaination of what i observed to be causing the issue.

FIX

1: Search drive c for the file atiumd64.dll , it should return several results of the same file but with two different file sizes........one file size is 6.39mb and the other is 5.23mb.

2: Right click and Copy the one that is 5.23mb and paste it to your c:\windows\system32 folder and choose to over-write the 6.39mb file that is there.....NOTE: You'll need to be sure Catalyst Control Center is closed or the file will be in use and cannot be overwritten.

3: reboot pc and all should be fine.

Explaination....... I still dont know why some have the issue and others don't. All i know is that the AMD drivers that include .NET 4.0 install a different / larger 6.39mb atiumd64.dll file to the system32 folder than the one Windows itself has for .NET 4.0 which is 5.23mb.

stumped, if you could , could you check your atiumd64.dll file in c:\windows\system32 and tell us whether it is 6.39mb or 5.23mb....if its 6.39mb, then i still have no clue why the larger 6.39mb dll file works on some systems and not others.....maybesomeone with more knowledge of .Net 4.0 can explain, since i'm just a gamer trying to fix an issue.

Edited: 11/08/2012 at 09:54 PM by mtdew332
 11/08/2012 10:08 PM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

UPDATE:

I have observed that if you just rebooted your system or just started your pc, and you immediately start any game or 3D application, you will get the Windows Explorer has stopped working error.......

From what i have observed this is due to the .Net 4.0 services being on a delayed startup........If you do any 3d application or game before the services are started, you will get continual Windows Explorer crashes.

And changing the .Net 4.0 services to automatic startup doesn't solve the issue, as they still have a startup delay.

So the solution to the issue is as follows.

1: When just starting or rebooting your pc, allow 3min - 6min before starting any 3d game or application to allow the services to start..... on my pc (you can see my specs below) ..........it takes exactly 3min, but it is best to allow a bit more time than that if you have a mechanical hdd or slower pc , just to be sure.

2: Once you hit the desktop, if you allow enough time for the services to start BEFORE starting any 3d applications, you should be error free.

3: So to be on the safe side, please allow 5min-6min after rebooting or just starting windows before running any 3d application or game...... this will allow you to use the use the 6.39mb atiumd64.dll that the AMD drivers install without having to use an older 5.23mb atiumd64.dll file.

Note: This still seems to affect x-fire users moreso than single GPU systems.

My specs......

Intel i7 2600k.... 16 gb DDR3 .... Asus P8Z68-V Pro Mobo, Intel X25m G2 SSD, Two AMD Radeon 6970's in x-fire, Win7 Pro 64bit.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 02:28 AM by mtdew332
 11/08/2012 10:21 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: mtdew332 EDIT...UPDATE: Please see update in post below be fore using fix in this post!

EDIT: You'll notice this only happens with x-fire enabled, if you disable x-fire and run a single card, the Windows Explorer crashes stop also without the need to do the fix below.

Ok JustKanji,

Here is your fix and a quick eplaination of what i observed to be causing the issue.

FIX

1: Search drive c for the file atiumd64.dll , it should return several results of the same file but with two different file sizes........one file size is 6.39mb and the other is 5.23mb.

2: Right click and Copy the one that is 5.23mb and paste it to your c:\windows\system32 folder and choose to over-write the 6.39mb file that is there.....NOTE: You'll need to be sure Catalyst Control Center is closed or the file will be in use and cannot be overwritten.

3: reboot pc and all should be fine.

Explaination....... I still dont know why some have the issue and others don't. All i know is that the AMD drivers that include .NET 4.0 install a different / larger 6.39mb atiumd64.dll file to the system32 folder than the one Windows itself has for .NET 4.0 which is 5.23mb.

stumped, if you could , could you check your atiumd64.dll file in c:\windows\system32 and tell us whether it is 6.39mb or 5.23mb....if its 6.39mb, then i still have no clue why the larger 6.39mb dll file works on some systems and not others.....maybesomeone with more knowledge of .Net 4.0 can explain, since i'm just a gamer trying to fix an issue.

Sorry, I just saw this. atiium64.dll = 6.39mb.

I don't and have never had any of the issues you guys are talking about. But, I never download drivers from this site either...don't know if it makes a difference or not, but. Try this...even if you have tried it before.

First read this: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y

Secondly download these drivers : http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-11-beta-6-9-01-8

Thirdly follow this guide:

Uninstall the old drivers using your computer control panel > uninstall a program. You will see "AMD Install Manager" use 'Express uninstall all amd software..including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver Fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion , select AMD graphics then delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card/system. Reboot.

Please note that all current AMD drivers require net framework 4 (dotnet4). If you don't have it installed the CCC will not function. You should disable all anti-virus/ad-blocker/UAC/etc before trying to install the new drivers.

Give it a try and let us know.

EDIT: Here is good info....I use 8

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161193&enterthread=y

11/09/2012 02:27 AM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

stumped,

The uninstall, clean method with driver sweeper is the method i already use, along with doing a complete clean install of Win7 Pro 64bit to ensure no video drivers were ever present....The AMD drivers in Windows Update were never installed either.

Also, have a clean/bare install of Win8 64bit to test with and get the same results.

I never could get the 12.11 betas to run, when i start a game i get kicked back to the desktop, this is is on a clean fresh install of Win7 or Win8.

In case you're wondering, i downloaded the Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 iso from Microsoft, installed that and when it hit the desktop, i installed NOTHING, no updates, NOTHING, then made an image of if with Acronis True image, so i'd have a bare, clean install for testing.....and all hardware is at stock settings while doing this/testing of course.

So it takes about 4min to restore that bare/clean install, so i'm up for trying any updates or any suggestions, since i'm only 4min away from a clean install with absolutely no 3rd party programs ever installed .....I already tried the .Net 4.5 install this way and it didnt fix the issue either.....and i really thought that would work too...... i'm not sure what more I can do when trying a clean/bare install gives the same results....a bios setting maybe.

Never tried the TDR though, so i'll try it and report back.

Just so you dont think we're insane, here are a few links...there are many many more if you google it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1719628

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=369442

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-keeps-crashing-and-restarting/aa3e643a-f05a-43a6-854a-2d09f9398375

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313297/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working-every-3-5-minutes

EDIT: TDR regedit didnt work, and ive already tried disabling desktop composition, with my clean install b4 and that doesnt solve it.....trying the newest 12.11 beta 6's now.....gonna restore my clean image and install them as clean as possible and see what happens.

EDIT 2: No go, Cat 12.11 beta 6 is the same as all the earlier CAT 12.11 betas for me, any game kicks me back to the desktop with the XXXX game has stopped working error, that is with x-fire enabled or disabled.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 03:07 AM by mtdew332
 11/09/2012 03:34 AM

Author Icon
mtdew332
Peon

There is not really much more i can do at this point since a clean install just doesnt solve the issue.

All i can do is observe and report what i see....

And that is.

1: The error doesnt occur with x-fire disabled

2: The atiumd64.dll file that is installed in the system32 folder when installing the AMD drivers is a different size than the one windows has when .Net 40 or 4.5 is installed....AMD= 6.39mb vs Windows =5.23mb and if i replace the AMD installed one in the system 32 folder with the smaller Windows 5.23mb file the problem goes away.

3: If i just wait at my desktop for 3min prior to running any games , the error doesnt occur with the AMD installed 6.39mb atiumd64.dll file.

4: A clean install of Win7 64bit SP1, or Win8 64bit results in the same error, so its not a 3rd party program or 3rd party driver issue.

All I can say is, i'm using really common components and the error should be easy to duplicate, all you gotta do is assemble the hardware, install windows , then nothing but the AMD drivers.... so i'll post my detailed system specs in hopes that an AMD rep will notice and replicate it in their testing labs.

OS: Win 7 Pro 6bit with SP1 or Win8  (doesnt matter)  /   CPU: Intel 2600k with integrated IGP disabled in bios   /   Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro with Bios 3402   /   Mem: 16gb Gskill 4gb x 4sticks (gskill f3-12800CL9-4GBSR)   /   PSU: Corsair HX 850   /   GPU's: Two Sapphire Radeon HD 6970's 2gb   /   SSD: Intel 80gb X25m G2   /   HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200rpm 32mb cache

Anyway, so far just waiting 3min at the desktop works just fine as well as using the older / smaller atiumd64.dll file....so its not like i dont have a workaround.

I'm tired of testing it, ive been trying to solve this isue ever since CAT 12.8's were released.... Ive NEVER seen an issue that a new / clean install of windows couldnt solve...this is my first one and i give up testing it, i already have a job...LOL

11/09/2012 04:30 AM

Author Icon
PHRAETUS
Peon

Hi Guys, I was having an issue with Explorer crashing during gaming after 12.10. Wouldn't be noticable until quitting or alt+tabbing out. Two titles I noticed it with were Mechwarrior Online, which would cause it to happen 100% of the time & Guildwars 2, which would happen more often than not, but not everytime.

I replaced the atiumd64.dll file & it appears to have stopped.

I will test it some more, but I just wanted to say thanks & throw a little more info into the thread for now.

Statistics
84737 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.