Topic Title: For the love of sanity please stop punishing HTPC users
Topic Summary: Post-processing options enabled by default; settings don't stick
Created On: 11/03/2012 08:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/03/2012 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lockdown571
n00b

I am an HTPC users and avid member of AVS forum. Please review my posts here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436772/opinions-on-potential-gaming-htpc-build/30#post_22551437.

First of all, various settings within Catalyst including post-processing options and pixel format issues randomly reset. I have experienced this issue with 5450 and 5670 cards and various version of 12.x Catalyst on separate PCs. As you can see from that link, I am not the only person with these issues.

Secondly, can someone please explain to me why so many post-processing features are turned on by default? All this does is punish people who actually care about picture quality and confuse new AMD users (see the end of that post where I link to the user who had issues with bad image quality compared to his Tivo). Nvidia and Intel do not do this. How can having this stuff enabled by default possibly lead to increased sales? Even if someone were to read an article comparing picture quality between AMD, Intel, and Nvidia, the reviewers would absolutely turn those features off before running tests. 

Personally, I've abandoned AMD cards for my HTPCs, and I wish I had done it much sooner. I am getting so sick and tired though of seeing all the issues people on the AVS HTPC forums are encountering with AMD cards. I realize HTPC users are a small market, but there's simply no excuse for these issues.

11/03/2012 09:10 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The bigger question is, why would someone with an HTPC class card even bother with updating the drivers...

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/03/2012 09:15 PM

Author Icon
lockdown571
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion The bigger question is, why would someone with an HTPC class card even bother with updating the drivers...

Can you please elaborate? Are you suggesting that newer drivers are problematic? If so, can you recommend an older version of Catalyst that is suppose to work? I've experience issues with various issues of Catalyst: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419252/can-someone-recommend-a-version-of-catalyst-that-isnt-completely-broken/30#post_22210133.

I thought about trying an even older version like 11.x, but I just got sick of it and replaced the card with an Nvidia 430 GT. Moreover, how would a new user know to pick an older version of Catalyst if, as you suggest, newer versions are buggy?

11/03/2012 10:28 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

One would hope that someone would have enough common sense to say "AMD released a new set of drivers today. I'm not having any issues, so I don't need to update"

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/03/2012 10:32 PM

Author Icon
lockdown571
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion One would hope that someone would have enough common sense to say "AMD released a new set of drivers today. I'm not having any issues, so I don't need to update"

What are you even talking about? I don't think you're actually reading my posts. When I first set up one of my current HTPCs, the current driver was 12.4. Like any sane individual, I installed the current stable drive, 12.4. 12.4 did not work, so I subsequently tried different versions that also did not work. This has nothing to do with upgrading to new drivers when the current ones were working, BECAUSE THE DRIVERS NEVER WORKED IN THE FIRST PLACE. Trust me, if I had found drivers that worked to begin with, I would have never upgraded. That is standard protocol I follow for any drivers I install on my HTPC.

Moreover, this has nothing to do with my second complaint, that all the post-processing options are enabled by default. 

11/04/2012 06:20 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You said you abandoned AMD cards completely. Why do you care what the drivers do or not do? You're not using them. You just came here to flame gamers who can care less about HTPC bulls**t. Have you read the title? AMD Game Forums. Also you can read somewhere that it's a peer-to-peer forum. It means we are users, not AMD developers or support. We have no control over how the drivers work whatsoever. Why not complain to Volkswagen or Electrolux about it? It would be the same thing as coming here. It would only make sense if you came here to ask for help, what you clearly aren't doing. Sorry to be rude, but change your attitude, or just GTFO.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/04/2012 01:55 PM

Author Icon
lockdown571
n00b

Originally posted by: Eydee You said you abandoned AMD cards completely. Why do you care what the drivers do or not do? You're not using them. You just came here to flame gamers who can care less about HTPC bulls**t. Have you read the title? AMD Game Forums. Also you can read somewhere that it's a peer-to-peer forum. It means we are users, not AMD developers or support. We have no control over how the drivers work whatsoever. Why not complain to Volkswagen or Electrolux about it? It would be the same thing as coming here. It would only make sense if you came here to ask for help, what you clearly aren't doing. Sorry to be rude, but change your attitude, or just GTFO.

A couple things here. I realize that this is a peer to peer forum, but I was assuming that AMD developers spend some time overlooking the forums (it is their website afterall). Secondly, as I've mentioned I spend a bit of time over at the AVS HTPC forums. While I've stopped using AMD video cards, I am frequently helping others at AVS who are struggling with video quality problems on their AMD cards. Part of the reason HTPC users put AMD cards in their HTPCs nowadays is to play games in addition to watching movies. Integrated graphics work pretty well if you just need video. I'm just hoping the issues I've described will eventually be addressed one day so HTPC users won't have so many issues just getting their movies to look decent.

If you do use AMD cards to watch movies and so forth, then you should be concerned about these issues, because they effect the quality of the video. If you don't watch movies and just use the cards for playing games, then why would you be offended? These issues don't affect you.

Statistics
85715 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.