Topic Title: BSOD atikmpag+79e0
Topic Summary: Occasional BSOD's with no obvious trigger
Created On: 11/05/2012 02:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/05/2012 02:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Swifty
n00b

I'm getting BSODs 2-3 times per week on my new PC, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116).

I was having problems updating AMD Catalyst, but a complete uninstall/re-install cycle got me to 12.10

The adapter is AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series with Device ID 683F and BIOS Version 015.014.000.004 113-C44501UM-X003

The update may have fixed the problem, only time will tell, but should I have updated the BIOS as well?

I can collect any details about the system, but since this PC is new to me, Windows 7 is new to me, etc. then it might take me some time. So I thought I'd ask here before spending a lot of time on that.

11/05/2012 05:46 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161193&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/05/2012 05:50 AM

Author Icon
stargaz3rr
Grinding Levels

What is exactly causing TDR error ? 

Is it caused by slow GPU or something ?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel i5 3570k 2x4 GB Kingston, Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-XSeasonic M12II 850W, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Seagate 500GB, Seagate 2TB

11/05/2012 12:53 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Per the link:

Cause:

This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down
  • The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor
Note: If you are using an older video card, there may not be a video driver that is fully compatible with your version of Windows.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/05/2012 02:01 PM

Author Icon
Swifty
n00b

Thanks for the suggested change to TdrDelay; I've put that on my list of things to try.

Running on an older version of AMD Catalyst/Drivers I just went a full week without a BSOD, so I'll give the new version (12.10) and its associated driver at least a week before wading in with regedit. 

11/05/2012 02:14 PM

Author Icon
Swifty
n00b

Originally posted by: stargaz3rr What is exactly causing TDR error ?

Nothing I'm doing; some of the BSOD's have occurred in the middle of the night, while I was asleep (and my displays powered off). When I've been present, I'm usually moving the mouse pointer across a set of static windows when the  BSOD occurs.

I'm not even scratching the surface of the  GPU capabilities. Most of the BSODs occur when the display is not even changing. I don't play games, and rarely even watch videos. I read webpages, do email, follow newsgroups/forums, write small programs. Apart from having the dual displays (with one rotated 90 degrees) the  most primitive adapter would be sufficient for me.

One thing I have noticed is that the mouse cursor sometimes gets corrupted just before the BSOD occurs. The corruption happens only on the primary display, and the tip of the pointer is replicated in a vertical bar.

11/05/2012 02:25 PM

Author Icon
Swifty
n00b

Originally posted by: Canis-X Per the link:

Cause:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down
  • The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor
Note: If you are using an older video card, there may not be a video driver that is fully compatible with your version of Windows.

I'd had problems updating AMD Catalyst in situ (had to resort to System Respore once), but my vendor suggested I remove it and run with the default MS driver for a while. This was a non-starter (I couldn't configure it for my portrait-mode secondary display) but having uninstalled AMD Catalyst, the install of 12.10 worked fine. I'll wait for another occurrence.

I'm on an almost unmodified Windows 7 Ultimate, so not using any unusual visual effects (indeed, I've turned some off). I typically have 5-10 programs running, but my system is brand new, and very high spec (apart from the Video adapter, which I downgraded to a passive cooled one, to avoid fan noise; I listen to music nearly all the time. I think I've pushed the total CPU usage to 5% once. I bought the PC to last me a good long time, so it is vastly over-specified for my needs so far.

The GPU could probably keep up with me without hardly noticing I was here. I was doing fine with the lowly motherboard Intel chip in my prior PC (an IBM M58 desktop)

Statistics
81008 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.