Topic Title: RESOLVED Sapphire Radeon HD6870 hangs (driver stopped working and was recovered)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2012 05:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2012 05:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yann166
Peon

Hi everyone,

I've had this problem since I purchased my Sapphire Radeon 6870 back in July 2011. The thing will invariably freeze and I get a black screen everytime I launch a game (like BF3 but any other game, as well, like Max Payne 1 and others) or even when websurfing using Firefox, Internet Explorer or chrome. 

Now, I had managed to get the problem under control by getting rid of the different states of consumption according to the power needs by tweaking the presets via the Catalyst Center. In other words, I set all the three possible states of the card to the same level (900 mhz clock speed, 1050 memory speed and adequate voltage), so that whenever the card feels like switching from one state to another, there is no variation in the power consumption. Therefore, the card had no power-saving modes but this solved the problem.

My problem is that since I installed the latest Catalyst Driver, I cannot get the usual preset I used to work. I'm trying to create a new fresh preset using the Catalyst Centre but it only produces incomplete ones (no lines regarding the modes, the clock speed...) that I'm not able to get working even when I try to insert bits here and there via the Text Editor (I'm using Win 7 64bits).

So the problem is not related to any other hardware on my desktop and I know the card works (it played BF3 in Ultra without a problem). I just need the get the preset to work again. Could someone send me a fresh full copy of a clean preset created by the CCC, including the reference clock, memory and voltage readings, so that I can apply it to my card once tweaked? I might be wrong but I'm guessing that the card model doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: ok figured it out myself, stupid me...

-------------------------
PC Setup: Phenom X4 655 BE - MB: Asus M5A87 - 8GO Ram (2x4Go) - PSU: antec HCG 620 - Win 7

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 04:36 AM by yann166
Statistics
88741 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 11 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.