Topic Title: AMD Adaptive Vsync
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2012 08:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2012 08:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
laimis911
Peon

Hi. Is there any word about Adaptive Vsync in future releases of CCC drivers from AMD ?

11/11/2012 11:19 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

I haven't heard anything, but I would never use such a feature anyway.  The whole point of using vsync is to prevent tearing, and that thing disables vsync whenever the frame rate drops below the refresh rate.

So if you have an especially resource-intensive game that stays below 60fps most of the time, you will have tearing most of the time.

The vastly superior solution for that type of game is to have vsync with triple buffering, which eliminates tearing and allows the maximum possible frame rate.

The problem with that, of course, is that most games don't allow you to enable triple buffering in their options, which means you have to force it with a third-party program like D3DOverrider (I say "like", but that's actually the only program I know which does it).

What would really be awesome is if AMD could figure out how to allow forced triple buffering without pissing off Microsoft, which has decreed that the number of buffers in a Direct3D program must be specified at the application level.  It would be so much easier if we could just check a box as with OpenGL.

11/12/2012 10:00 AM

Author Icon
L4d
Recompile The World

Thank you, Thanny!

Here's a thread regarding D3DOverrider:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161065&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Lad

I play with sand.

11/12/2012 10:31 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

AMD will never have this feature, because nVidia has Adaptive Vsync. TomsHardware article Here and Here The first being nVidia Adaptive Vsync (on a GTX 690) and second being AMD RadeonPro Dynamic Vsync (on the HD 7990)

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/12/2012 03:45 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

There's two approaches there.  One is: "They have it, and it's cool, so we need it also, but we'll call it something different".  The other is "They have it, and it's lame, so we'll showcase something else, then point and laugh."  In this case, as Thanny said, it's lame.  However, the tricky part is still trying to figure out which one they will pick, because whether it's cool, or whether it's lame doesn't always matter.  That's marketing of technical widgets like adaptive vsync, in a nutshell.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
87539 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.