Topic Title: Catalyst Control Center Image Scaling option
Topic Summary: Can't upscale image in games from lower resolutions
Created On: 11/13/2012 05:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/13/2012 05:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
syash_r
Peon

Well my native screen resolution is 1920x1080 but since my aging HD 5770 GPU is starting to show some unreasonable FPS in newer games, I wanted to lower the resolution to get better FPS.

But as soon as I lower the ingame resolution the image squeezes down leaving a huge black border around the game image.
I've been looking for the image scaling option in CCC but it's unavailable.

I have 22" LG LCD backlit.  I also use the latest CCC version.  And I did notice that weirdly, CCC identifies my display as being CRT.

Help me please.

11/13/2012 11:24 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Hello, a bit more information may be needed to help you with your issue. Please read the thread below and revise your post to include the requested information in detail.  Doing so will help us help you more efficiently.

Thanks in advance...

**STICKY** | PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Please use the template, and fill out as much information about your issue as possible.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/13/2012 11:47 AM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

Without more information I do not fully understand what you are getting at but it seems like you want to see an image of where you can set the scaling options to fix the black boarders.

(Windows 7 and Vista) Digital connections only.

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

11/14/2012 03:27 AM

Author Icon
syash_r
Peon

So i have the following:
XFX HD 5770
Core2Quad 2.5ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (All important updates installed)
CCC version 2012.0405.2205.37728

In the picture you showed exactly what I need but I don't have the "My Digital Flat Panel" tab in my CCC.  It identifies my monitor as VGA and thus replaces that tab by "My VGA Displays", under which there is no option for upscaling image.
As I said earlier I use an LG LCD widescreen.

I might have found the culprit but am not sure. I don't use the DVI cable from monitor Graphic card.  I use a VGA cable with DVI to VGA adapter in the Graphic card.  My monitor has 2 input ports (DVI-D and D-Sub). The D-sub uses the VGA cable.  Do you think that this is the problem?

11/15/2012 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

You did indeed find the culprit.  You do need to use a DVI cable connection.  If your LCD monitor has a DVI input, I would recommend you switch regardless.  You may also notice a slight improvement in overall display quality.

With the DVI connection, you can then adjust the scaling properties you need.  The screen-capture George@AMD showed is for when you have an HDTV connected over HDMI, and doing 1920x1080, but getting black borders.  The slider lets you "overscan" enlarge the display to correct for the borders.

In your case, you need to set your desktop resolution to something below the native resolution (same aspect ratio), and then enable GPU Scaling under My Digital Flat Panel > Properties.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/16/2012 08:55 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

You should definitely switch to a DVI cable, but you should also look at your monitor's scaling options.

11/18/2012 07:14 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

EDIT: Ooops - Never mind. I thought that becasue control panel reverts to the default setting "Scale image...panel size" and goes greyed out again after changing the desktop back to 16:9 that my old

4:3, and other narrow aspect res games, would still be in wide screen - their not... phew !

btw - sorry for the hijack.

Edited: 11/18/2012 at 07:43 AM by Dinwiddie
Statistics
85483 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.