Topic Title: Stuck on starting Windows splash screen
Topic Summary: Video driver corruption
Created On: 11/15/2012 12:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2012 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jnzicg
Peon

I've been seeing a recurring problem with Radeon video cards (namely the E6760, HD 6870 and HD 7870) where after I reboot the screen(s) will get stuck on the starting Windows display.  The strange thing is that I can remotely log into the system and see the desktop however only one screen will be displayed (not the Eyefinity group that I had previously set up) and this screen is set a low resolution much like it looks when no video driver is installed.  When I try to open Catalyst control center it will not respond and error messages will pop up.  I can not read the messages as the inside of the pop-up windows appear black and if I try to move either of the pop-up windows they will turn completely black and disappear.  I believe this would indicate some type of video driver corruption.   Uninstalling and reinstalling Catalyst doesn't seem to help fix this.  The only way I've found to fix this problem is to reinstall Windows (luckily I have a clone drive to copy) and then install Catalyst on the fresh OS.  This also seems to happen with all versions of Catalyst control center as I tried numerous versions.  

I think it may be related to unplugging and replugging adapters into the card (I always use active mini dp to DVI adapters).  It seems as if this is corrupting the video drivers somehow?  Anyone else experience a problem like this?  Any suggestions from AMD on how to fix without reinstalling Windows? 

11/15/2012 01:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Hello, a bit more information may be needed to help you with your issue. Please read the thread below and revise your post to include the requested information in detail.  Doing so will help us help you more efficiently.

Thanks in advance...

**STICKY** | PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Please use the template, and fill out as much information about your issue as possible.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Statistics
87668 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.