Topic Title: Impossible to update my CCC and driver, black screen...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/15/2012 02:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2012 02:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jean-Claude
Peon

I followed strictly the Uninstall procedure to remove the old driver and uninstalled CCC.

1. I used the ATI Drive Sweeper tool to clean any ATI left overs from the old install 
  2. I used CCleaner to remove all registry entries referring to ATI 
  3. I rebooted, installed CCC with the new driver and got a report that all install was successful and no error. 
  4. Rebooted and was greeted with a black screen! 
  5. Rebooted once more in safe mode, and checked that the driver is correctly installed (with device manager), CCC is correctly installed but cannot be opened, I get an error message saying (translation): Impossible to load the file or the assembly "CLI. Implementation" or one of its related files. This file cannot be found. 
  6. Since it is the fifth time I go over this same unsuccessful procedure what else should I do to make my computer work normally please? This is now getting urgent as I need it to work not to play!!!
Thank you

-------------------------
Jean-Claude
 11/15/2012 02:13 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Hello, a bit more information may be needed to help you with your issue. Please read the thread below and revise your post to include the requested information in detail.  Doing so will help us help you more efficiently.

Thanks in advance...

**STICKY** | PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Please use the template, and fill out as much information about your issue as possible.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/15/2012 07:51 PM

Author Icon
jnzicg
Peon

I think I may have found a fix for bad video drivers but it requires that you have remote software such as logmein installed on your PC.  If you don't have remote access you may get lucky by unplugging all the monitors then plugging just one back in.  I saw that when I tried this I was able to see a desktop a few times but this wasn't always the case.  You may also be able to boot into safe mode and try this as well thus bypassing the remote access.  I haven't tried that but it could work?

1.     Log in Remotely to System

2.     Select Start ->Control Panel->Device Manager

3.     Expand “Display adapters” in the list.

4.     Right click on “AMD Radeon XXXX” (the text may be blacked out in which case you will have to be familiar on what you are selecting - the AMD Radeon driver is the first one on the list)

5.     Select “Uninstall” 

6.     At Prompt Select OK – This will uninstall the video driver

7.     From Control Panel->Programs and Features select AMD Catalyst Install Manager then choose Change

8.     Choose Express Uninstall

9.     Make sure everything is uninstalled by clicking yes at all the prompts

10. Prompt should ask you to reboot.  If not Reboot anyway.

11.  Install Catalyst Control Center software and reboot when prompted

Catalyst and Drivers should now be installed and working properly.

Edited: 11/15/2012 at 07:58 PM by jnzicg
 11/15/2012 08:28 PM

Author Icon
jnzicg
Peon

FYI I just checked booting into safe mode and this seems to work as well so no need for remote access.

11/16/2012 02:06 AM

Author Icon
Jean-Claude
Peon

Thank you for the feedback. I realise that I did not include much specifications in my message, this is due to the fact that I copied and pasted my message from the support site where all these were part of the pre requisites...

I7 940, Asus P6T Deluxe, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4870 PCi 1GB VRAM, Windows XP 32 SP3. Moving to CCC 12.6 and driver version 8.970.100.3000 (I did not take note of the previous version).

In safe mode I could roll back to a saved situation where I had uninstalled the ATI driver and CCC.

There in Device Manager it says that my VGA card is not configured properly (code 1) I see that a non identified driver is installed on a VGA compatible card (not identified yellow question mark next to it), should I uninstall this VGA driver as well or is it the only "stock" driver that will allow access to my computer?

Below that my VGA card, there is another graphic card identified as BB capture driver, I never touched that one, should I also uninstall it?

In advanced display parametres, the card is not identified, clicking on Properties, I see that the pilot is VGASave, so presumably I should not touch that if I want to have the default display that I am having presently in low definition.

Now looking at my C drive, there is an AMD folder in which I started the CCC uninstall tool, it tells me that there is no ATI components installed, but why then is there this folder with the 12-6 legacy XP 32 list of components including the driver, in the Windows uninstall, there is nothing from AMD/ATI, should I remove them manually? Interestingly neither CCleaner nor Driver Sweeper found anything to delete.

To save time, I removed them manually, so now my system has no more reference to AMD/ATI software anywhere confirmed by Driver Sweeper, CCleaner and Auslogics registry cleaner.

I rebooted.

From this "clean" situation, I re-installed CCC from scratch and the conclusion of the install was a yellow question mark, I opened the report and found that everything installed successfully and at the bottom of the page I found "No error". I rebooted again and... black screen!

So this shows clearly that something somewhere remains in my system.

UPDATE:

After doing the above, I run Driver Sweeper again and realised that a number of ATI entries were still there. I removed all of them, closed Driver Sweeper and reopened it, to see that all ATI entries were back!!!

I am running Windows NET 3.5, so there is no question about being able to run this software properly, why on earth am I not able to clean these ATI entries, I believe my problem is here. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you to please clarify.

Jean-Claude

Edited: 11/16/2012 at 04:29 AM by Jean-Claude
 11/17/2012 06:53 AM

Author Icon
Jean-Claude
Peon

I am absolutely stunned that after one full week NO ONE from ATI/AMD has made any attempt to address my query either on the forum or following my two email requests!!!

If that is the ATI customer service then I shall remember that accutely when having to buy computers for my company and myself in the future!

I am further aggravated by the fact that updating a driver can cause such misery whether one follows instructions or not! Call that rant if you will but running an international service company myself, I believe that I know a couple of things about customer service this company does not or doesn't care to exercise. Shame on you ATI!

Jean-Claude
 11/17/2012 12:10 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

If you read carefully, you will see that this is a peer-to-peer gaming forum. If you want to contact AMD then use the supplied "ISSUE REPORT FORM" or look in the FAQ section and get their phone number and call them direct. Nobody here can hold your hand and most don't care what equipment you buy for your company or yourself. I know I don't.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 11/17/2012 at 09:36 PM by stumped
 11/17/2012 12:26 PM

Author Icon
Jean-Claude
Peon

I happen to be able to read in English and this forum is presented as "AMD Support AND game forum", so I was indeed expecting support from AMD on what is also a support forum presumably even if it's not for gaming.

As for reporting on an "issue report form" I filled it up twice in one week, to no avail, obviously had I found a solution to my problem in the FAQ I would not be here bothering anyone and wasting my time lost in two weeks without my PC!

Thank you anyway for your useful contribution!

Jean-Claude
Statistics
85345 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.