Topic Title: Cannot install AMD Display Driver with CCC 12.10
Topic Summary: Display driver fails to install...
Created On: 12/04/2012 05:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2012 05:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
apara
Peon

I an running Radeon HD6900 series card on Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition. Previously, I was running 12.1, however, I tried to install 12.10 and the installation sits for a long time while installing AMD Display Driver.  The progress bar on the bottom keeps moving and restarting from beginning.

At the end of the process everything installs but the driver FAILS.  

I have booted into VGA Mode
I have uninstalled the old driver
I ran Driver Fusion and removed the driver
I have verified that Driver Fusion no longer lists any driver files
I have rebooted my computer countless times
I have tried to re-run the installation at least 5 times

However, everytime I run the install the same thing happends. It sits at the message of installing the AMD Display Driver ... and never does.  Then it goes to the rest of the install and at the end report that everything installed except for the driver.

It feels like it's timing out on something.  But I am not sure where to look for logs to figure out what it's waiting for.

I tried to manually install the driver from the device manager, however, that TOO sat around for a long time and then I got an error message that the driver could not be installed.

Again, I am not sure what to do at this point.  What can I check or examine to see if this can be corrected?

Here is the message I get:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
12/04/12 02:21:31

Hardware information

Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0x6719
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x2460
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462
Other hardware
Existing packages
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD APP SDK Runtime
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
AMD Media Foundation Transcoders
Catalyst Control Center
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.0.891.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD Display Driver
Final Status: Fail
Version of Item: 9.002.0.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0xaa80
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa80
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462

Error messages
Driver Install: the installation failed

Thanks.

-AP_ 

12/04/2012 06:03 AM

Author Icon
apara
Peon

One more attempt, and something DID install.  The Device manager shows that the driver is installed and seems to be version 9.2 (which according to the docs it the correct version).  However, the CCC refuses to come up.  When I click on the CCC from the context menu or from the programs, it seems like it going to start, but does not.

When trying to run the install again, the installation program does not think that the driver is installed.  Really strange.  Not sure what to make of this now.  

-AP_

12/04/2012 08:55 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Not strange at all. Read > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y

If you have the need to repost...read and furnish the info asked for in "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/04/2012 11:29 AM

Author Icon
apara
Peon

Graphics Card: 
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

AMD Driver Version and History:
Attempting to install 12.10, previous version 12.1.  Driver 12.4 failed to install in a very similar ***** so I stuck with 12.1 for a while.

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit

Motherboard/Computer:
DELL  Studio XPS 9100

Power Supply:
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Display Devices:
2 Dell 2001FP via DVI and 1 Dell E248WFP digital monitors Display Port

CPU:
Intel 980X

System Memory:
12 GIG

So, my experience installing CCC drivers has not been very good.  It seems that the process normally takes a long time and the driver installation fails frequently.  It normally takes a long time to get the driver installed and working.  This time was no exception.

On the initial attempt I was installing over the existing 12.1 driver.  That did not work.  So, I uninstalled the 12.1 and tried to install again.  The Driver took a very long time to install with the lower progress bar going almost to the end and then starting from the beginning.

I then used Windows to remove the driver and used Driver Fusion to clean up any remaining bits (Paid for the professional version).

I then tried to install again and it reported as failed again.  Tried to install again, still failed, but a message from windows appeared that a new hardware has been installed.

I checked the driver settings for the VGA adapter and it showed the new 9.2 driver installed.  Rebooted the computer and the driver was alive, however, CCC would not come up.

Went back and tried to re-run the installation.  While Windows said that the driver was installed CCC reported that the driver was NOT installed.  Ran the isntallation again.  This time got a green checkbox and everything reported as installed.

Rebooted the computer and reconfigured the screens.  Attempted to right click and start CCC from the context menu.  That did not work.  Tried to start from the command prompt and it came up.  Reboted a couple more times just for good measure, the context menu still does not work.

I already has .NET installed, but just in case, installed .NET 4.5 from Microsoft and ran Windows Update to install security patches.

Testing now..

Nope, still after reboot the CCC fails to start up.  Something does not seem right, but for some reason the CCC drivers have always been difficult to work with.

Anyhow, after so many installs I got my computer up and running with 12.10.  I will probably stay at this driver unless I really need something else and don't mind spending another 5 hours tinkering with my machine.

If anyone has any ideas of what may have gone wrong or what I check, please let me know.  I would love to know where the install log is stored so that I can see what specificially with the driver is timing out during a fresh install.

-AP_

Edited: 12/04/2012 at 11:49 AM by apara
Statistics
86368 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.