Topic Title: VSync (Vertical Refresh)
Topic Summary: When will force vsync finally work in Catalyst?
Created On: 12/05/2012 04:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2012 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
inferKNOX
Peon

Hi,

I'm a long time user of AMD (and ATi, when it was called that) products. I've purchased generally high-end gear & am in IT by profession so know my way around installation, configuration, troubleshooting, etc.

Back when I started out in the high-end, I realised that it's more usefull to vsync my GPU in order to reduce heat, noise, tearing, power consumption, etc. I tried to implement this via CCC for consistency over all my gaming, regardless of whether there is the option in the game or not. However, enabling it had no effect on the games, so I was forced to look for alternatives and found one, D3DOverrider. It's been out of development for ages, but worked through XP, Vista x64 & Win7 x64 for me.

Now I'm on Win8 and D3DO's compatibility seems to have finally expired. I figured by now AMD's dealt with Catalyst, so let me just enable it in the drivers and move on. To my utter astonishment it STILL doesn't work (Witcher: Enhanced Edition v1.5, Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition, DotA 2 beta), even after all these years. To top it all off, Catalyst has had a long time reputation for this, while NVidia's drivers are said to just work.

Now I've been a long time supporter of AMD & am always recommending it to my clients, but this is just ridiculous. How on earth could this problem still not be resolved, when just a few months ago driver updates were monthly?!

Please AMD, can you tell me that this will be dealt with so that I and other AMD enthusiasts like myself are not forced to pick through the gutters of the internet for alternatives to what we give you our support and money to provide. How soon can we expect a solution? And not a solution for a couple of titles, a universal one. If the writer of D3DOverrider (and now MSI Afterburner) managed, AMD should definitely not be failing.

Please take this seriously, we loyal fans need some positive returns on our loyalty to AMD through the good and not-so-good times.

Thank you for your time & products.

TL;DR: Years ago, CCC 'force vsync' was a dud so was forced to use D3DO. Now on Win8, D3DO doesn't work, tried CCC, but shocked to find it's still a dud, so want to know when it'll finally be fixed.

12/06/2012 07:03 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

After 5 years of it not working I'd say it never will probably.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/06/2012 09:05 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Most likely for the same reason you have to use another program to force triple buffering in D3D games.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/06/2012 10:54 AM

Author Icon
inferKNOX
Peon

@Eydee: It almost seems so, right?
@black_zion: The same reason being that there has just not been enough effort put into solving it once and for all, IMHO.

After being reasonable enough to stick with AMD even when they're not necessarily the best option (in outright performance and even sometimes price-to-performance), I think it's a reasonable request that they get these unresolved issues sorted out, not only so that they can please their customers, but at least so that the mocking can finally stop from the opposing fanboys.
If nothing else, it gives AMD more marketing points to have drivers with working features.

Come on AMD, we know it takes time to get organised, look into it, then sort it out, so we're not demading immediate gratification, but at least tell us you're on it and let it be done by the time the Jan/Feb WHQLs are due. Please.

12/06/2012 03:40 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Writing drivers that work isn't exactly simple, especially when you figure in they have to keep supporting Windows XP and 10 years worth of graphics cards, all the while introducing new features, fixing bugs, and making games give playable frame rates when it is the game developer who needs to do that. If writing drivers were that simple, someone like you could do it. And if you looked, nVidia users use D3D Overrider, and other third party programs as well, to force things such as Vsync in D3D games.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/07/2012 04:48 AM

Author Icon
inferKNOX
Peon

It is not my assumption or suggestion that drivers are easy to make. I only insist that this feature staying broken for such an extended length of time, should be sorted out at last. My estimation of the feasibility of such a bugfix is made possitive by the fact that D3DO was made so long ago and worked so long without needing any fixes.
I'm thus saying, "AMD please find the formula to what makes/made other solutions work, and fix this perpetually broken feature."

As for the driver-pack, I honestly believe that it should be split such that there is a separate set for each GPU generation, ie, one for the HD5000s, one for HD6000s, and the same for earlier and newer generations. The driver package (12.10) is now at almost 200MB, which is huge for those with bandwidth constraints, and unnecessarily so when it can be spit into simple to understand (GPU series based) packages IMHO.

12/07/2012 07:49 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: black_zion Writing drivers that work isn't exactly simple, especially when you figure in they have to keep supporting Windows XP and 10 years worth of graphics cards, all the while introducing new features, fixing bugs, and making games give playable frame rates when it is the game developer who needs to do that. If writing drivers were that simple, someone like you could do it. And if you looked, nVidia users use D3D Overrider, and other third party programs as well, to force things such as Vsync in D3D games.

That's a very weak excuse. Well, if AMD diver developers were waiters or shop assistants, then yes, it would be something to consider. But they're supposed to be well-educated engineers. It's their job to do it and to do it well.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
87650 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.