Topic Title: Sapphire HD 7870-AMD Cata 12.10/12.11(with latest beta)
Topic Summary: Artifacting, Scrren Flash, Freezes
Created On: 12/07/2012 08:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2012 08:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DeftonicD
Peon

Specs:

AMD FX-4170 @ 4.3Ghz

Asus M5A97 mobo

Antec 1000w PSU

8Gb G.Skill Ram

Sapphire HD 7870 (O.C Edition)

500Gb HDD (WD)

Now, I'm getting artifacts, screen flashes, hickups, and once in a great while total lockup/freeze(to which I have to Hard reset). At first, I thought it was the card, so I RMA it and got a new one. Turns out, it wasn't the card seeing as the new card has same problems. No, I don't believe in underclocking the card when the issues (from what I have read) are well know with people who have the 7870 cards. 

Games Like Skyrim, for one, will have many artifacts and even screen flashes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbtzLObQr8o). Now, I have rolled back to even 12.4 and the problem is still there. Same thing goes when playing FPS games like BF3, and Tribes. Now, speaking of Tribes, the game will not only Artifact, but give me a black screen, then minutes later, a complete system freeze. Guild Wars 2 will have some Artifacts, Screen flashes and super low FPS.

As for the Driver itself. I have been having real problems with 12.10 and the lates 12.11 beta. Currently, I use Beta 7.net works perfectly other than the problems in games. But, If I try to install (Clean or over write) the latest Beta or the 12.10 driver, a whole new mess starts. 

First and foremost, the install will never be complete no matter what I do. It will come with an error (though won't say what though.) No, I don't have a screen shot of it, and I won't post one due to the fact that I really don't want to go through the hassle of doing anymore driver sweeping and clean installs again.

The problem with that come after install are as such:

Not being able to open Catalyst AT ALL. Not able to uninstall the driver without having to enter safty mode and doing a full sweep. Driver causing my games to lock up/crash.

It makes me sad because I'm a huge fanboy of AMD. And I keep looking at the Beta notes each time the beta comes out to see if these kind of issues are fixed. Is there any update (Soon or near future) that will fix these issues, or does anyone know of a temporary fix so I can play my games without any of these problems? The only one I have found was to turn Super Sampling on. That works, but takes a huge chunk of FPS out of every game I play, and I don;t want that. Any info, or updates about these issues will be of great help. Thank you.

tl;dr: AMD fix your stuff. I want to play my games for once.

12/09/2012 02:53 AM

Author Icon
Max9R
Grinding Levels

With all the symptoms you're describing it still sounds like a hardware problem to me.  Do you know anyone with a different AMD card you can try?  I also suggest trying your card in a another machine if you have one available to you (to eliminate the rest of your components). 

You don't believe in underclocking the card?  That can be an easy way to figure out if there's something wrong with it.  Clock down the GPU, problem goes away, you know the GPU is bad.  Clock down the memory... What does Sapphire have to say about it?

It is possible to get two bad cards in a row.  I actually had 3 bad EVGA 7950 GX2's in a row way back when.  Each one of them caused the same types of problems your describing.  The difference being I could always install the drivers without issue, but games would freeze, artifacts etc...  Fourth time was the charm in my case.  It was easy for me to diagnose because I tend to have multiple PC's around at any given time that I can use to swap parts around.

-------------------------

W7 Ultimate x64: Corsair 800D, AX1200
EX58A-UD5, i7 970 @ 4.5Ghz
16GB RipJaws @ 1600
3x XFX BE 7970 Tri-Fire @ 1200/1600
OCZ V3 120GB + WD 2TB Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Dell U3011 + WFP2407
Koolance 370 & EK GPU Water Blocks

12/09/2012 07:44 AM

Author Icon
sakis33
Peon

Asus 7850 CUII with Asus maximus special edition motherboard have the same problem getting random flashes from time to time.Monitor is connected through HDMI 1.4a

12/09/2012 02:34 PM

Author Icon
DeftonicD
Peon

I honestly don't believe it is a Hardware issue when many people have had this issue. If you had seen the Youtube vid I linked, and the comments within it, it's not just this one brand name of card, it's nearly all 7870's. Down clocking it does't seem to help either. 

I do have an old(er) card, which is my HD 6850. It works fine, as do many of them of that series. I don't want to keep RMAing working cards til I get one that "is a charm." I simply don;t have the time, nor the patience for that kind of a hassle when it's a driver issue that seems to be known by many. I also don;t want to go back to using my 6850 card, due to the fact that it would then be a waste of 200+ dollars for a card I bought not even two months ago.

12/12/2012 03:27 AM

Author Icon
Max9R
Grinding Levels

The youtube video you linked to was a 12.10 known issue for Skyrim, it was fixed in 12.11 beta (at least it was for me).  In the release notes for the 12.11's you'll see it mentions "resolves image corruption found in certain DirectX 9.0c titles.  In the comments for that youtube video you should have noticed that some of the people that were posting saying "me too" also said it worked fine with early drivers revisions such as 12.8.  Does your's work fine with 12.8?

In your orginal post, and apparently I misunderstood, you seemed to be implying the issue is in every game you play and with every driver version going to 12.4 (I missed your SSAA comment). Hence me thinking there's a hardware problem involved.  

Anyway, it appears that's not the situation, and you have some games that work perfectly fine which is a different story entirely.  In that case fill out the error reporting for the 12.11 beta and list the games you're having problems with along with the symtoms. The link for it is down near the bottom of the page beta download page.

-------------------------

W7 Ultimate x64: Corsair 800D, AX1200
EX58A-UD5, i7 970 @ 4.5Ghz
16GB RipJaws @ 1600
3x XFX BE 7970 Tri-Fire @ 1200/1600
OCZ V3 120GB + WD 2TB Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Dell U3011 + WFP2407
Koolance 370 & EK GPU Water Blocks

Statistics
85419 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.