Topic Title: Games crash, display driver has stopped working and has recovered
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/29/2012 08:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/29/2012 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ElijahM
Peon

System information:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz (Standard Clock) CPU
4 GB Mushkin Silverline RAM
Corsair TX 750W PSU
HIS AMD hd 6870 GPU
Windows 7 64-bit
Home-built, approx. 2 years old

Issue:
For about as long as I've had this machine, games (Dragon Age, Crysis, Skyrim, LA Noire, RAGE, Portal, Guild Wars 2) all freeze up and crash to desktop. This can happen fairly often (within 5 minutes of launching a game) or somewhat rarely (hours pass with no issues). The video will hang for a few seconds with audio still playing, and the screen will go black. At this point, the video either rehooks or the game crashes and I receive the error "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I recall the same error message, but with an ATI driver when this first started. Very seldom, I'll get the same error while simply watching a YouTube video. I have tried every fix that I can think of, and have read through many similar threads - from what I gather, this error is caused by a number of things and can be difficult to pin down. It should be noted that I have never managed to get a clean install of my Catalyst drivers. I always come up with "Installation successful, but some warnings have occurred..." or something of that ilk. Reading through the installation summary provides no such warnings.

What I have tried:
Uninstalled (driver sweeper) and reinstalled all AMD drivers
Disabled TDR
Disabled flash hardware acceleration
Replaced the GPU
Overclocked and underclocked both GPU and CPU
Updated the BIOS
Reseated all cable connections from PSU
Overnight memtest on RAM
Likely countless other things that escape me
GPU, CPU, board temps all appear stable

I have a strong suspicion that the display driver install must be conflicting with some other driver on my system, but I have no ideas on how I would go about finding this. The only other possible solutions in my mind are a complete reinstall of Windows 7, or RMAing the PSU (I don't really care for either of those ideas).

I'm open to all suggestions. Please let me know if I can provide more information.

01/01/2013 05:16 AM

Author Icon
waltdaww
Peon

I had that same problem a while back and getting rid of my HDMI to DVI converter fixed it. I would get that error whenever I used my HDMI docking switch to toggle between pc, Xbox and PS3, and sometimes whenever my old 22" DVI monitor came out of sleep mode. I had to use the converter to allow connection of my Acer 22" to the HDMI switch. Now that I have a dual monitor setup whereas one monitor is now HDMI capable I have removed the HDMI to DVI converter and use DVI to DVI on my oldest monitor and HDMI to HDMI for the newer one which is primary and plugged into the switch. No more converter, no more issues. Those converters are sometimes troublesome and probably cause issues with HDCP. Hope this helps.

-------------------------

Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 2.0 bios-Xfire Hd 7950 boost bios
AMD 965 BE 3.9ghz c3 stepping
8gb GSkill DDR3 1333
125gb Crucial M4-OS drive WD 1TB, WD 750gb
850 watt Corsair PSU-H80 cooler

01/01/2013 10:12 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: ElijahM System information: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz (Standard Clock) CPU 4 GB Mushkin Silverline RAM Corsair TX 750W PSU HIS AMD hd 6870 GPU Windows 7 64-bit Home-built, approx. 2 years old Issue: For about as long as I've had this machine, games (Dragon Age, Crysis, Skyrim, LA Noire, RAGE, Portal, Guild Wars 2) all freeze up and crash to desktop. This can happen fairly often (within 5 minutes of launching a game) or somewhat rarely (hours pass with no issues). The video will hang for a few seconds with audio still playing, and the screen will go black. At this point, the video either rehooks or the game crashes and I receive the error "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I recall the same error message, but with an ATI driver when this first started. Very seldom, I'll get the same error while simply watching a YouTube video. I have tried every fix that I can think of, and have read through many similar threads - from what I gather, this error is caused by a number of things and can be difficult to pin down. It should be noted that I have never managed to get a clean install of my Catalyst drivers. I always come up with "Installation successful, but some warnings have occurred..." or something of that ilk. Reading through the installation summary provides no such warnings. What I have tried: Uninstalled (driver sweeper) and reinstalled all AMD drivers Disabled TDR Disabled flash hardware acceleration Replaced the GPU Overclocked and underclocked both GPU and CPU Updated the BIOS Reseated all cable connections from PSU Overnight memtest on RAM Likely countless other things that escape me GPU, CPU, board temps all appear stable I have a strong suspicion that the display driver install must be conflicting with some other driver on my system, but I have no ideas on how I would go about finding this. The only other possible solutions in my mind are a complete reinstall of Windows 7, or RMAing the PSU (I don't really care for either of those ideas). I'm open to all suggestions. Please let me know if I can provide more information.

If in fact you 'disabled TDR'...that could be your problem. Read the article from Microsoft > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161193&enterthread=y .

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/01/2013 03:07 PM

Author Icon
ElijahM
Peon

Thanks for the replies, guess I forgot to enable notifications.  I don't use any sort input switches or converters, and the problem occurred well before I tried dissabling TDR as a fix.  I will say that before dissabling TDR, games would always crash upon freezing, with a 0% chance of rehooking the audio and video and picking up again.  I have also tried prolonging the TDR time, and dissabling aero.  I still think that part of the problem exists in the "warnings have occurred" prompt that I always receive while updating or reinstalling drivers (the correct way).

Statistics
85541 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.