Topic Title: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6450 1GB OC blue screens with 12.11 Beta 11
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/03/2013 12:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2013 12:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
irvinm
Peon

Graphics Card
- GV-R645OC-1GI
: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6450 1GB Factory Overclocked
- EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 626MHz

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Currently working with 12.11 Beta 11
- Previously tried 12.10

Operating System
- Windows 8 x64

Issue Details
- Using 12.10 production or 12.11 Beta 11 using only 1 output (tried both analog and DVI separately) and I am getting 1-3 blue screens a day all with the same bugcheck of 0x1000007e showing a crash at atikmpag+0xb66a \ NULL_CLASS_PTR_DEREFERENCE.  I have had zero problems with this machine before adding this card and there are no other items in the event log indicating problems.  If the system was underpowered at 750W, I would expect more of a random crash rather the same each time.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
-
GIGABYTE EX58-UD5

Power Supply

- PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- include specific brand & model (ex:  DELL U2411)
- include specifics about any cables, adapters, splitters, hubs, used

Applications and Games

- Random applications when the blue screen occurs.

CPU Details
- Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz

Motherboard BIOS Version
- F13u (4/7/11)

System Memory Type & Amount
- 6 x 2GB

Additional Hardware

- SSD Boot Drive
- Motherboard RAID 5 drive array. (4 x 1.5TB)

Additional Details
- Instead of blue screens, I received 4101 warning events (Video Driver Crash & Recovery) using the default video driver before installing Catalyst.
- I am also working with Gigabyte with this issue, but they are being less than useful and I am trying to separate a driver issue vs. a hardware issue.

01/03/2013 04:52 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Thanks for using our template!  Much appreciated!

Question....are you running the system with both cards installed when experiencing this behavior or just the AMD card?  When you removed the old card, what was your process for cleaning out the old drivers?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/03/2013 05:07 PM

Author Icon
irvinm
Peon

Originally posted by: Canis-X Thanks for using our template!  Much appreciated!

Question....are you running the system with both cards installed when experiencing this behavior or just the AMD card?  When you removed the old card, what was your process for cleaning out the old drivers?

Yes, both cards installed.  Honestly, I have not tried removing the NVIDIA card yet as there were no problems with that card for the 1 month since I installed Windows 8 with a clean install.  My understanding is that the video driver architecture (since Vista maybe) should be able to handle independent video hardware and drivers.  I am also driving 3 1920x1080 monitors (yes, I have a monitor addiction) and by removing 2 of the monitors and 1 of the video cards, the problem may take a much longer time to reproduce itself.  As a point of reference, it has only blue screened once today with with 10 hours of usage.  (A better day today)

I think the other question I would have would be:  If I do pull the NVIDIA card and don't see another blue screen, what does that tell me exactly?  (That the AMD driver somehow gets a NULL pointer that it doesn't handle properly when this NVIDIA card is present)

I am certainly willing to do this, but would really like to explore other options first as I know the rest of the system is solid.

01/03/2013 05:38 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Radeon and GeForce drivers love to fight more Georgians and Russians. Unless you're running a Hybrid PhysX setup, which I don't believe works anymore due to nVidia changing PhysX, you need to pull one of the cards, DriverSweeper/Driver Cleaner both AMD and nVidia, and do a clean install of whichever one is left.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/03/2013 05:44 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Ummm....tbh, I can't say for sure.  I am pretty certain that neither NVidia nor AMD test this functionality out when QA'ing hardware combinations and drivers.....that and NVidia really doesn't want you running a system with one of their cards in there as well as an AMD card.  Think AMD rendering 3D graphics.....NVidia taking care of the PhysX to create what they call hybrid-PhysX in the gaming community.....it requires a hack to accomplish the last time I ran it and I honestly wouldn't put it past NVidia to put something in their driver to cause problems on purpose.....they like to role that way.

Aside from all of that conspiracy theory stuff........you are running two different manufacturer's software at the same time.....it is not coded anything alike and neither AMD nor NVidia is going to support it being competitors at all.  You are best off getting two cards from the same family, and preferably the same manufacturer/model number.

BZ ninja action time

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/03/2013 06:45 PM

Author Icon
irvinm
Peon

Thanks all.  I guess what I will do next is run the 6450 by itself to see if I can reproduce this issue.  If I can, then obviously there is more work to do.  If it works fine, then it is obviously a problem between the different video cards.

01/03/2013 06:45 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I guess we should ask too, what if you use earlier drivers than 12.10?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/03/2013 07:26 PM

Author Icon
irvinm
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion I guess we should ask too, what if you use earlier drivers than 12.10?

The only thing older I tried is what was installed by Windows 8 by default ... Driver Version 9.2.0.0 (9/27/12) by AMD.  With this version of the driver, I did not receive any blue screens but got a ton of "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." which was event ID 4101 in event viewer.  Obviously Gigabyte wanted me to try 12.10 production, then 12.11 Beta when things were still not working.

I would be willing to try an older driver if something thought there was a "very stable" version to do so.  I am really just using my AMD card to drive my 3rd monitor while still using my NVIDIA for any games, so stability is more important to me than performance.

Statistics
85739 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.