Topic Title: Problems with 13.01
Topic Summary: Black screen during install
Created On: 01/18/2013 06:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/18/2013 06:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

Hello, I've been trying to install the new ATI 13.1 drivers for my 7770's but during mid install my monitor goes black and never returns. 

I have waited for an hour, just to make sure its not still installing, but it still doesn't come back. I have tried installing it multiple times in both crossfire and non crossfire settings. (I do not have my cards or CPU overclocked)

I have also tried using my HDMI with the same result.

Each time after I try to install I have to hard reboot my computer, it goes to windows logo and freezes. I restart my computer again and do a system restore to get it back to working status.

Current Drivers are at 12.10

Specs are:

MB: Gigabyte 970A-UD3

GPU: 2 Saphire AMD RadeonHD 7770s

CPU: AMD 6 core FX 6100

RAM: 16 GB Ballistix

HDD: 1 TB

PSU: In win Commander II 850W

Monitor: Asus 24" VS247 using DVI in 1920x1080

01/18/2013 06:46 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Have you tried this? http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162444&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/18/2013 06:53 PM

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

No, I will try it later today when downloading doesn't count towards my data cap.

Ps: Thanks for the quick response & help.

01/19/2013 08:43 AM

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

I finally got 13.01 installed. I followed everything in the link you posted, but it didnt work. I did it a second time, but pulled out my second card and it worked so something is wrong with my secondary card...

Thanks again for your help.

01/19/2013 10:35 AM

Author Icon
Wr3nch3r
Peon

Its not a faulty graphics card... however it does seem to be something when using crossfire, or installing with crossfire.. idk. I wish they'd fix this issue.. im back to 12.10. no matter what i try it fails. I got close with 13.1 when unhooking the crossfire cable, however once its connected windows 8 64bit wont load into start screen and window goes black. 

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.72GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6700 1GB GDDR5 x2 (crossfire), Windows 8 64bit, 850W Thermaltake Black Widow, 8GB Crucial Ram, Creative XFI XtremeMusic, OCZ 120GB SSD

01/19/2013 10:43 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Wr3nch3r Its not a faulty graphics card... however it does seem to be something when using crossfire, or installing with crossfire.. idk. I wish they'd fix this issue.. im back to 12.10. no matter what i try it fails. I got close with 13.1 when unhooking the crossfire cable, however once its connected windows 8 64bit wont load into start screen and window goes black. 

Report reproducible issues to AMD > http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3ECF

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

01/19/2013 12:04 PM

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

Originally posted by: Wr3nch3r Its not a faulty graphics card... however it does seem to be something when using crossfire, or installing with crossfire.. idk. I wish they'd fix this issue.. im back to 12.10. no matter what i try it fails. I got close with 13.1 when unhooking the crossfire cable, however once its connected windows 8 64bit wont load into start screen and window goes black. 

The card's may not be faulty, but it was a nightmare getting 13.1 installed, so I really don't feel like switch the cards around to test it. (I don't normally use my second card anyway because it makes most games run worse.)

Good luck finding a solution to it though.

One more thing I forgot to mention Stumped. After running Driver fusion, it told me that it could not delete the AMD registry files. I had to use Ccleaner as well to get those out of the way.

01/19/2013 12:13 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Silvion

The card's may not be faulty, but it was a nightmare getting 13.1 installed, so I really don't feel like switch the cards around to test it. (I don't normally use my second card anyway because it makes most games run worse.)

Good luck finding a solution to it though.

One more thing I forgot to mention Stumped. After running Driver fusion, it told me that it could not delete the AMD registry files. I had to use Ccleaner as well to get those out of the way.

yes...since they moved to a "pay for" application there are a couple of entries they won't remove till you buy the 'Pro" version. However the majority of entries are removed. I still use Driver Sweeper 3.2.0 as it removes them all. FYI..Driver Sweeper is the free version of what is now called 'Driver Fusion' > http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

01/19/2013 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

I'll remember that if I ever have a problem again. Have a nice day.

01/19/2013 09:59 PM

Author Icon
marko2011
Peon

just registered to forums to say there is problem with 13.1 i noticed...:

mi screen on hdmi conection goes balnk and says no signal after idle like 20 mins, this issue was known to happen in early back driver release but it was fixed in some version, now it is here again.

01/20/2013 12:18 PM

Author Icon
4EVRDI4U
Peon

Same. What a way to ruin a what should have been othwerwise productive Sunday morning.  When I booted up and was notified of a driver update, I never could have dreamed from 3 hours ago I would be here writing this post now.  I had 12.10 installed, everything was working great.  This is a new, nice and clean system, no conflicts what so ever with VERY minimal software installed on the drive that hosts my OS.  I am running an AMD FX-6100 6 core @ 3.6 ghz, 16 GB ram, Dual 1 TB HD's, 60 GB SSD,  Dual Radeon 6570's 1 GB and Windows 7 64 bit.  Updating the driver choosing express or custom installation, leaves it hanging at a black screen where you cannot alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete.  I have left it hanging for 20 minutes figuring perhaps it needs time, but no driver package of 150mb would require more than that most definately.  Having to reset, you MUST start windows normally for it to hang again after the Windows logo, only to reset the system again to have the window repair and restore diaglog come up.  You have to go through all that, restore to an earlier point etc etc.  I have done that, and of course naturally have tried uninstalling the driver through uninstall a program, running CCleaner, and its registry cleaner, going into program files as well as users app data and wiping any trace of AMD or ATI and its drivers to try a fresh clean install of the new one and of course, same thing. Extremely frustrating.

I question, how is it even remotely possible that I am not the only one with this same issue.  I would have to understand further how these drivers get packaged and mass distributed and what kind of compatability testing and time the developers go through to satisfy my frustration where I can say then calmly say oh... thats why. 

At the moment I write this, I have no AMD drivers installed.  What now?  Wait without drivers for a proper fix from the developer or scour forums further or someone elses successfull work around?  Try downloading 12.4 or an older verion and just run with that and accept not being able to use the latest drivers for my hardware? More then likely I will just install 12.4 or prior and roll with that for a bit and forget about it, but I don't think that is the right.  Anyone else have further insight on this in terms of a work around or is this basically just a wait for acknowledgment from AMD?

01/20/2013 02:37 PM

Author Icon
Silvion
Peon

This may or may not be relavant, but do you guys happend to be using a Gigabyte Motherboard on the systems you are having these problems on?

Also, did you try removing one of your cards like my previous post mentioned, and then installing the drivers? I'd understand if you're reluctant to do so, but it might work.

01/20/2013 03:15 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: 4EVRDI4U Same. What a way to ruin a what should have been othwerwise productive Sunday morning.  When I booted up and was notified of a driver update, I never could have dreamed from 3 hours ago I would be here writing this post now.  I had 12.10 installed, everything was working great.  This is a new, nice and clean system, no conflicts what so ever with VERY minimal software installed on the drive that hosts my OS.  I am running an AMD FX-6100 6 core @ 3.6 ghz, 16 GB ram, Dual 1 TB HD's, 60 GB SSD,  Dual Radeon 6570's 1 GB and Windows 7 64 bit.  Updating the driver choosing express or custom installation, leaves it hanging at a black screen where you cannot alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete.  I have left it hanging for 20 minutes figuring perhaps it needs time, but no driver package of 150mb would require more than that most definately.  Having to reset, you MUST start windows normally for it to hang again after the Windows logo, only to reset the system again to have the window repair and restore diaglog come up.  You have to go through all that, restore to an earlier point etc etc.  I have done that, and of course naturally have tried uninstalling the driver through uninstall a program, running CCleaner, and its registry cleaner, going into program files as well as users app data and wiping any trace of AMD or ATI and its drivers to try a fresh clean install of the new one and of course, same thing. Extremely frustrating.

I question, how is it even remotely possible that I am not the only one with this same issue.  I would have to understand further how these drivers get packaged and mass distributed and what kind of compatability testing and time the developers go through to satisfy my frustration where I can say then calmly say oh... thats why. 

At the moment I write this, I have no AMD drivers installed.  What now?  Wait without drivers for a proper fix from the developer or scour forums further or someone elses successfull work around?  Try downloading 12.4 or an older verion and just run with that and accept not being able to use the latest drivers for my hardware? More then likely I will just install 12.4 or prior and roll with that for a bit and forget about it, but I don't think that is the right.  Anyone else have further insight on this in terms of a work around or is this basically just a wait for acknowledgment from AMD?

So how do you like crossfire so far?

01/21/2013 11:08 AM

Author Icon
kevinm10
Peon

Apparently Catalyst 13 and 12 need .net 4.5 in order to install?  Cudo's to another poster that made this comment.
I was able to manually update the drivers in device manager using update driver
and browsing to the extracted driver folders under c:\amd\support\"version" but needed Catalyst for a  multimonitor setup.
Install would fail with failed to load hardware detection prior to .net4.5.  After .net4.5 it installed fine.
In my case I had an R6750 and onboard R3000.  Uninstalled both.  Rebooted.  In BIOS I disabled the onboard.  Boot up, ran catalyst installer.
Rebooted enabled onboard with surround mode.  Boot up.  Onboard found but had problem.  Manually updated driver using 12.6 per an autodetect amd utility
that recommended that version for it.

Also, in my case the R6750 has three connections:  dp, hdmi, dvi.  HDMI was defaulted as monitor 1.  I was connected to DVI.  On bootup my monitor would
go black.  DVI was monitor 2 so the win logon was on monitor 1.  Once I logged on monitor 2 (dvi) would go active and display.

Happy installing.

01/24/2013 08:56 PM

Author Icon
mrphysics
Peon

Originally posted by: 4EVRDI4U Same. What a way to ruin a what should have been othwerwise productive Sunday morning.  When I booted up and was notified of a driver update, I never could have dreamed from 3 hours ago I would be here writing this post now.  I had 12.10 installed, everything was working great.  This is a new, nice and clean system, no conflicts what so ever with VERY minimal software installed on the drive that hosts my OS.  I am running an AMD FX-6100 6 core @ 3.6 ghz, 16 GB ram, Dual 1 TB HD's, 60 GB SSD,  Dual Radeon 6570's 1 GB and Windows 7 64 bit.  Updating the driver choosing express or custom installation, leaves it hanging at a black screen where you cannot alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete.  I have left it hanging for 20 minutes figuring perhaps it needs time, but no driver package of 150mb would require more than that most definately.  Having to reset, you MUST start windows normally for it to hang again after the Windows logo, only to reset the system again to have the window repair and restore diaglog come up.  You have to go through all that, restore to an earlier point etc etc.  I have done that, and of course naturally have tried uninstalling the driver through uninstall a program, running CCleaner, and its registry cleaner, going into program files as well as users app data and wiping any trace of AMD or ATI and its drivers to try a fresh clean install of the new one and of course, same thing. Extremely frustrating.

I am experiencing a similar problem with the following history:

It started when I decided to try to take care of the "kbdsync.exe has stopped working" issue while using Catalyst version 12.1.  From another forum, I followed a suggestion to do the following:

Open Control Panel>Programs and features
Click on AMD Calayst Install Manager then click Change
Click Next on the welcome screen
Click Uninstall Manager then click Next
Click Custom then Next
Check box next to AMD APP SDK Runtime then click Next
Click Finish

This succeeded at solving the kbdsync problem and all was working great.  Later, I got a popup from the AMD catalyst to install a recommended update (13.1).  (In the past, I believe this update had never worked properly.  It would say that the install was unsuccessful, aborting the install. )

At this time I proceeded to try a 13.1 install again.

While installing 13.1, the system crashed. On reboots, I got the system recovery screen repeatedly when trying to start in normal mode.  I then tried safe mode. I booted successfully in safe mode and I tried to restore to a recovery point prior to the 13.1 install.  On reboot, starting windows normally,this resulted in BSOD, just before I expected the login screen, with only a working mouse pointer - no error messages. If I try to boot in safe mode, it loads drivers and then I get BSOD.  Ever since, this is all I can get when booting from the HD in normal or safe mode.  Removal of video card and using onboard VGA did nothing.  I then booted from my windows install disk and managed to get to system restore options.  I tried them all (earlier restore points, low resolution, etc.).  Still, only BSOD with a mouse pointer.

I'm glad to see that some others are at least able to revert to 12.x drivers.  I am not able to boot my system at all at this point.

Dell Studio 540

BIOS 1.0.6

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

AMD Radeon HD 3000 series video card

8 GB RAM, Core 2 quad core CPU Q6600 at 2.4 GHz

01/24/2013 10:14 PM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

I've always uninstalled the previous drivers manually via Programs and Features. I do have .NET 4 installed and updated via Windows Updates. Call me old *****, out of touch, paranoid, but I don't trust automated, or install over the top of the old, driver updates and have only had one corrupt driver install in ten years.

When I installed 13.1 a couple of days ago I got a black screen on re-boot. I could hear the Windows log on tone, but after letting the machine sit for a few minutes started thinking "My second borked driver install".

I did a hard re-boot and change to Intel HD4000 graphics in BIOS. I had brief look and saw that Catalyst control panel had insatlled, but decided to switch back to PCIe in BIOS before rushing into reinstalling the drivers. Rebooted via Windows and -

Walla! All is good. btw - The new conltol panel layout for 3D settings is a big improvement, and the games are all still running as well as ever.

01/26/2013 12:37 AM

Author Icon
TiboQC
Peon

Originally posted by: Silvion This may or may not be relavant, but do you guys happend to be using a Gigabyte Motherboard on the systems you are having these problems on?

Also, did you try removing one of your cards like my previous post mentioned, and then installing the drivers? I'd understand if you're reluctant to do so, but it might work.

I have two 6850 running on a gigabyte board... Coincidence?

Disabling Crossfire fixes the problem when installing the drivers but everytime I enable it after the installs I get a BSOD for atikmpag.sys

One card runs good on most game but having a useless card just sucks...

Gigabyte 970A-DS3
AMD FX-4100 @ 4.2ghz
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Dual HD6850
 01/26/2013 10:45 AM

Author Icon
TiboQC
Peon

Up..

Anyone?

Gigabyte 970A-DS3
AMD FX-4100 @ 4.2ghz
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Dual HD6850
 01/30/2013 01:59 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I want to thank everyone (on or off the forums) that has used the Issue Reporting Form to let us know of this issue.  We're paying close attention to the forums too, and trying to get to the bottom of it. 

All the feedback and detailed system specifications and troubleshooting steps provided are helpful!  For what it is worth, Catalyst 13.2 Beta has been released.

As I learn more of the issue, I'll post it up.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/01/2013 10:17 AM

Author Icon
TiboQC
Peon

Alright Thanks! I've installed the latest beta wich is Beta4 but I still get BSOD when enabling the second card. 

I tryed a clean install on a seperate harddrive and still got it.

Gigabyte 970A-DS3
AMD FX-4100 @ 4.2ghz
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Dual HD6850
Statistics
84181 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.