Topic Title: Dual Graphics HD7870 and Intel HD 4000
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/18/2013 08:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/18/2013 08:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

I bought an Asus P8Z77-V LK recently and set it up with my XFX Radeon HD6870.  I installed Catalyst 12.10 for my Radeon, enabled dual gfx in motherboard bios and then install Core I5/Intel HD 4000 drivers so I could use Virtu MVP.  I want to do this for the energy savings as I don't only game on my pc.

I decided to buy an Asus HD7870 and installed it.  The only problem is that it doesn't work.  If I install only the HD7870 drivers, everything works beautifully.  When I install the Intel HD 4000 drivers, WDM.exe crashes when I start Windows 7 64 bit.  Also OpenGL games and Utilities don't work.

I reinstalled Windows 7 multiple times with different Intel and AMD drivers and even tried different motherboard bios.

When I look at the registry, I can see that the Intel drivers are not being installed properly.  THe Intel registry entries have a mix of AMD and Intel dlls.  The AMD drivers are installing differently and causing a conflict.

THis doesn't happen with the HD 6870.  It almost seems as if the HD7870 is working in Homoegenous Multi Adapter mode and trying to use AMD driver for everything even though I'm setting Intel to be primary.

Is there a way to change the way AMD driver installs to make this work?

01/18/2013 11:57 PM

Author Icon
Gamernate78
Peon

are you setting the virtu enabled in the motherboard bios to d mode or i mode d mode is descret gpu i  mode is intergrated gpu also you need to check which  you have set to primary in bios peg or internal
 01/19/2013 12:25 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Regarding the Registry entries - No idea why Intel entries would be mixed with AMD, but if the drivers are borked  I would be inclined to uninstall both via Programs and Features and reinstall them. Install the Intel HD first. Reboot and install the AMD.  It may be best to just set the BIOS to the gpu you are going to install the drivers for at that time.

I've found several OpenGL games that don't run on my 7970. All three of them from Techland. I did get Call of Juarez Bound In Blood running, but don't recall the fix . It may have been something simple like removing my old player profile and starting a new one (I still have the new and the old has been replaced).

Maybe not what you are asking, but regarding VirtuMVP -  My BIOS does not have the dual gpu option, only 'onboard' or PCI-e, but for me VirtuMVP works like this-
-First, install the latest VirtuMVP from your mobo mfg's web site.
-VirtuMVP has two modes "I" and "D". You use the video outputs on the motherboard you get "I" mode and lower power use, but gaming capabilities  are also lower, if somewhat improved over HD4000 alone. When using "I" mode Catalyst Control Panel is mostly disabled.

If you use the gpu video out you get "D" mode, but you have to have the BIOS setting for RAM sharing set to a selected amount of RAM. If you use "AUTO" it will disable "D" mode. "D" mode has pretty good gaming performance but does not work well in all games (some won't even launch), and the power savings would not be as good as "I" mode.

You can't use both Intel and AMD graphics outputs and use VirtuMVP. It's either - or.

In short VirtuMVP is still BETA, so in the end I just went for two monitor cables plugged into my monitor. One from each display source, and I switch between them in BIOS. It's less convenient than using VirtuMVP, but for me, it is the most reliable method for either getting low power use with Intel HD4000, or maximum reliable gaming performance from the gpu.

Edited: 01/19/2013 at 12:40 AM by Dinwiddie
 01/19/2013 04:18 AM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

Asus has a Lucid Wizard that I used.  Recommended steps follow below.

1) Set bios gfx to PCIE, connect monitor to discrete card ( in my case Radeon ) then install Radeon drivers.

All games work this way including OpenGL games with EITHER Radeon card.  The system is fast and stable.

GpuCapsViewer reports OpenGL 4.2.

This is with no Intel Gfx drivers installed yet.

2) Enable dual gfx mode in bios, set gpu to iGPU ( Intel ), connect monitor to Intel, then install Intel drivers

- HD6870 GPUCapsViewer reports ( correctly )Intel HD 4000 OpenGL version 4.0

Intel OpenGL and DirectX work, just slower than Radeon.  Both GPUs are correctly installed.

- HD7870, OpenGL does not work.  GPUCapsViewer reports GDI Generic 1.1.  DWM.exe crashes on bootup.  Most DirectX titles work but not all.

3) Install Virtu MVP and reboot.

- Radeon 6870 - everything works including OpenGL, stable no crashes.

- Radeon 7870 - no point installing Virtu MVP. I can check the registry and see that Intel HD 4000 registry entries have amd dlls and drivers mixed in with Intel.  This does NOT happen with the HD6870.

------------------------------

Heterogenous ( 2 different sets of drivers by different companies ) and Homogeneous ( 2 gpus , same drivers ) are supported as of Windows 7.

It is supposed to be possible to have GPUs from 2 different manufacturers and their drivers installed in Windows 7.  If we couldn't, it would not be possible to use Virtu MVP.  This is where the problem is.  NOT with Virtu MVP.  The problem exists BEFORE installing Virtu MVP.

I have used a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit both with and without SP1 to test.

I have used different AMD and Intel drivers.  I have tested with different versions of the motherboard bios.  I have tried to install the drivers in the reverse recommended by Asus. I have reset the cmos and reloaded Optimized defaults in the bios.  I have tried to disable one card while installing drivers for the other.

The problem is that the drivers are installing differently depending on the Radeon GPU installed.  Catalyst 12.10 will work with HD6870 and Intel but not with HD7870 and Intel.  I tried 13.1.  I tried the beta drivers.

The question is, what is causing this difference?

01/19/2013 04:27 AM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

See my response to the other message.

Virtu MVP works for me with the HD6870.  No problems. Some titles are not supported but in general, it is working the way it should.

I'm not so much concerned with Virtu.  I'm more concerned with why I can't install both gfx drivers correctly with my HD7870 but I can use the HD6870 with the same motherboard, monitor, ram, Catalyst/Intel downloaded drivers, etc.

I've completely reinstalled Windows close to 15 times to make sure there were no registry entries or files left from previous installs.

Software works perfectly with the HD7870 with only Radeon drivers installed.  It is stable and fast.

01/30/2013 04:15 PM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

And the fun continues...

Contacted Intel tech support through chat who directed me to Asus because they called this switchable graphics.

No response from an AMD bug report.

After about 20 messages back and forth with Asus, they told me to contact AMD.

LucidLogix doesn't appear to reply to anybody, but directs to Asus ( or other vendor ) website.

Getting fed up with this...

01/31/2013 09:14 PM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

And same problem exists for Windows 7 32 bit.

Decided to try it to see if problem was specifc to 64 bit.

Nope.

02/01/2013 05:30 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

You probably should do what they suggested. Contact AMD. Using the bug reporting form is not contacting AMD and you'll never get a response from that.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

02/04/2013 11:05 AM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I did that today and was told to contact Asus.

Which I have done, again.

The circle of tech support, "We don't support that, call ...... somebody else.

Thinking of ditching AMD and Asus and switching to the darkside to see if it works.

02/04/2013 11:40 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

Not logical. You said you want to the whole thing for energy saving. If you disable the Intel IGP and buy 3 more 7870s and make it a quad crossfire setup, you'll still save energy compared to any product from the "dark side".

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

02/04/2013 02:01 PM

Author Icon
SMTTG
Peon

I've got my monitor set to turn off after 2 minutes of inactivity.

Intel IGP - monitor off 130 watts

- monitor on 150 watts

HD7870 - monitor on @215 watts

- monitor off @175-185 watts

If you leave your computer on, it can add up over time.

Electricity rates keep going up.

I'm not interested in Crossfire.  The single 7870 does what I need it to do.

Windows 7 and WDDM 1.1 are supposed to support Heterogeneous Multi Adapter.  It's up to motherboard and gpu vendors to do that.

I've never even owned an Nvidia video card but maybe it's time to try one.

For quite a few years, I've owned Radeons and Asus motherboards.

I'll decide in the next little while.  Problems are a great incentive to make a switch. 

Having said that, sometimes the solution causes bigger problems than the original problem you're trying to solve.

Statistics
81140 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.