Topic Title: Why is Microsoft .NET Framework not included with Catalyst?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2013 12:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2013 12:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fractalogic
Peon

It seems that every time I do a complete computer overhaul and format my disk drives and do a clean installation of Windows, I would get an error message stating that .NET Framework 3.5 is required to run Catalyst Control Center.

My question is, why is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (or any other version) not installed, during the installation of AMD driver software and Catalyst Control Center?

Why can't this be installed at the same time I install the Catalyst software? Can't you include the .NET Framework redistributable package in the installation?

I recon that this was not an issue in previous versions of Catalyst driver/sodtware packages. I think it all started with the new GUI in Catalyst CCC.

Screenshot:

screenshot of Windows warning dialog for NET Framework 3.5

Can you please start including this with that huge 140 MB + file? I think there are some options in the custom installation of Catalyst, you know the posts with the exclamation marks and all that stuff... but they don't seem to be installing any of that. If I am not mistaken, at least 3.5 version of .NET Framework is included with all versions of Windows from XP and up. Maybe it's just that Catalyst installation doesn't see that.

Edited: 01/22/2013 at 04:35 PM by Fractalogic
 01/22/2013 02:21 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

It's 232 MB. The whole package would be almost 380 MB. As almost everybody has it already, it would piss of many people if they had to download it over and over again for no reason.

Note: If you buy a video card, it's included on the CD that comes with it.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/22/2013 03:10 PM

Author Icon
Fractalogic
Peon

Where did you get 232 MB from? Installation package? What version? I was refering to version 12.8.

I am sure that it is already pissing off some peaople, at only 140 MB. Increasing it to 232 MB or 380 MB would start off a riot.

It's not always necessary to download the full package. You could only get the driver update.

Again, why is this warning message showing up every time? If .NET Framework is not included in the Catalyst package but it is installed, then the installer should recognize it and not force you to update .NET Framework by installing it all over again.

This message should not be showing up in first place. Period. How it's done is not important - if they package the .NET Framework or not is not the issue. Catalyst should be working out of the box. Period. If it doesn't, then it's up to AMD/ATI to make this possible, either by packaging it with Catalyst or by prompting the user to get it from Microsoft, and by making absolutely sure it is already installed (or not) and recognizing installed instance of .NET Framework.

Software should not be too complicated, and this is up to the developer to make sure it is easy to use and it has all the dependencies needed to run it, depending on the target platform. It's enough that we have all the crazy error and warning messages caused by Windows.

01/22/2013 03:21 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

If you go to Windows update it probably would be on the list of installs available. This is part of Windows. Get off your high horse. If you want to download current drivers, you need netframework 4 anyhow. read this and chill > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

01/22/2013 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Fractalogic
Peon

- The complete Catalyst software suite is 146.5 MB for version 13.1 which is the current version from 1/17/2013.

- The .NET Framework 4.5 standalone installer for Windows Vista, 7 and 8 is between 20 MB and 40 MB, depending on if you get the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

I see no problem with including it in the Catalyst package. That would make the package 190 MB at most. It is only a suggestion. Is someone insulted by this? What horse? If so, then I appologize if anyone took this as an insult.

I understand that this is part of Windows, but it's up to the developer to make sure their users have the dependencies needed to run the software. The least they can do is ship the dependencies with the software. This is not a responsability of Microsoft to do it for them, through Windows Update or other means.

I was wrong about Windows XP and .NET Framework. It was not delievered with the first release of Windows XP. It came as an option with release of Windows XP SP1, and that was only version 1.0. Windows XP SP3 added some security updates to .NET Framework. The first version was never distributed with any version of Windows.

Windows Vista was distributed with .NET Framework 3.0 and Windows 7 was distributed with version 3.5. The new Windows 8 is distributed with version 4.5.

Here's a complete overview of .NET Framework versions and dependencies:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx

According to the release notes for Catalyst 13.1 it requires .NET Framework SP1, but it doesn't say what version.

"The AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message."

The release notes actually mention the error messages I have been seeing. I should say that I am using Windows Vista. But I know I have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. It came as a Windows Update (update).

I currently don't have any problems with Catalyst (except for some odd graphics problems that don't belong in this thread anyway). But for the ease of use I suggest that AMD starts packaging the necessary .NET Framework version with Catalyst, as the graphics driver is one of three first things you would install on a new computer or when you do a clean install of Windows. A 190 MB download is not a problem for most of Internet users today.

01/22/2013 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Fractalogic Where did you get 232 MB from? Installation package? What version? I was refering to version 12.8.

There's no .NET Framework 12.8 that I know of.

Look, buddy: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/22/2013 04:33 PM

Author Icon
Fractalogic
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: Fractalogic Where did you get 232 MB from? Installation package? What version? I was refering to version 12.8.

There's no .NET Framework 12.8 that I know of.

Look, buddy: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

So the full package .NET Framework 4.5 is 232 MB. I see. Thanks for the update. But they don't have to include the full package .NET Framework.

That's true, there is no version of .NET Framework that's 12.8. I was refering to Catalyst 12.8. I mentioned that version just for comparison, since I had it lying on my desktop.

Statistics
84112 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.